Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Mr. Rooney, Call the Jets owner, he wants to trade Revis

If I am not dreaming, I am not living.....
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Just another head case who had a major injury that may take a full year to recover from. Don't need him.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #23
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Just another head case who had a major injury that may take a full year to recover from. Don't need him.
yeah, lol - that too. Just what we need. Either another injury-prone player or one who's coming off a major one.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,437 Times in 4,687 Posts

For arguments sake, let's say we do trade for him and he gets a lucrative 5 year / 55 million dollar deal. So, now he's a member of the Steelers but his huge cap hit is going to dig us deeper into an already bad situation to be in. What do we do?

First things first, say goodbye to Harrison, Keisel, Hampton, Foote, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy, Sylvester and, as much as it hurts to say, Troy.

That clears a ton of cap space up. Now, I can already hear what you're going to say 'But SteelersCanada, what about the lack of depth!' which is fair, but it comes with an easy solution: draft well.

Say our draft looks like this ... (bold designates stater)

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Tony Jefferson
R3. David Amerson
R4. Nico Johnson
R5. Knile Davis
R6. Ray Graham
R7. John Sullen

Depth at FS and SS, with starters at ILB, OLB and RB. Depth is also provided at OG and RB behind Knile Davis should anything happen. Now, what's more important is the fact that they're coming cheap and this would ultimately let us trade for Revis.

It's not impossible, we just have to get rid of our older guys and let younger guys play for us to acquire him.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,513 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Revis has held out twice. No thanks.

He's coming off of knee surgery. No thanks.

And, he is supposed to get (or wants) $16 million. No thanks.

Sign Lewis. Play Allen. And, when Ike retires, that aforementioned tandem will be very good for a decade.

Plus, with the money saved by not having Revis, the Steelers could sign both Lewis & Allen... and even have enough left over to extend Worilds (if they so desire).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
For arguments sake, let's say we do trade for him and he gets a lucrative 5 year / 55 million dollar deal. So, now he's a member of the Steelers but his huge cap hit is going to dig us deeper into an already bad situation to be in. What do we do?

First things first, say goodbye to Harrison, Keisel, Hampton, Foote, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy, Sylvester and, as much as it hurts to say, Troy.

That clears a ton of cap space up. Now, I can already hear what you're going to say 'But SteelersCanada, what about the lack of depth!' which is fair, but it comes with an easy solution: draft well.
There won't be any lack of depth. Revis, the best player ever to walk on the planet, will make up for the lack of depth by intercepting every pass thrown by the other team. Problem solved.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LVSteelersfan For This Useful Post:
casteeler (01-24-2013), EbonySteel86 (01-24-2013), lloydwoodson (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,437 Times in 4,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
There won't be any lack of depth. Revis, the best player ever to walk on the planet, will make up for the lack of depth by intercepting every pass thrown by the other team. Problem solved.
I get it, I do. But he's easily the best CB in the NFL in maybe the last decade. If you look at what the Jets secondary is built off of, it's completely and utterly built on the idea that Revis is going to be put on an island with their best WR and often times, Revis wins that battle.

Now, if you line up someone like Taylor or Lewis opposite him, you have the best 1 - 2 CB tandem in the NFL. This would ultimately allow us to start one, maybe two, rookie Safeties and have them get chemistry and develop together.

Acquiring Revis would let us play younger guys in our secondary - something that we desperately need. Throw Nico Johnson inside with Timmons and have Jordan play opposite Woodley, and you're looking at the best defense in football. The most important part, we're under the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Revis has held out twice. No thanks.

He's coming off of knee surgery. No thanks.

And, he is supposed to get (or wants) $16 million. No thanks.

Sign Lewis. Play Allen. And, when Ike retires, that aforementioned tandem will be very good for a decade.

Plus, with the money saved by not having Revis, the Steelers could sign both Lewis & Allen... and even have enough left over to extend Worilds (if they so desire).
Peterson came off knee surgery, too. Peterson is the best RB in the NFL and Revis is the best CB in the NFL - I don't think it's going to affect him like everyone thinks it is.

I don't think he's going to get 16 million anywhere he goes. He might get 12 million, but I think it's more accurate to say he'll get around 11 - 11.5, or back to his most recent deal he signed with the Jets. 5 year / 55 million is fair for Revis and it's not much more than what we were willing to give Wallace last year.

I like the tandem of Allen and Lewis, but I like the tandem of Revis and Allen more.

Also, we're very keen on keeping Troy around on these boards, but his cap hit is 10 million. We could sign Revis and have his cap hit be around 7 - 8 million for a more productive, younger and all around better player. Our sense of loyalty to these guys is mind-boggling.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Thats what I love about the off-season......Keeping an open mind and talking to all these free agents and finding out if their are any sparks leading to further talks, working out the roster for next season.....Agents on the phones, calculating scenarios ...figuring,figuring and more figuring......... I love it.....
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

James Harrison, Hampton, and Foote, among others are likely gone. If it were me, Id gladly give up Lewis to FA and a 1st to get Revis. Id have a hard time passing him by twice. Next season I foresee Clark and Polamalu and Keisel retiring. That should get us in realstic cap range. But additionally Woodley needs to take a pay cut.

I know people talk about how good Colbert and Khan are...but I have to question their financial expertise.

But in reality Revis comes with major risk and we do NOT need more risk. Me trading for him would be based on an idea of greatness not the reality of it.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #30
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Can't afford him AND he has been holding out off and on for the past couple of seasons. Complaining about his contract. How far soes that get you with the Steelers? Ask Alan Faneca and Mike Wallace.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote