Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,671 Times in 2,413 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Anyone worth Trading?

Ike? No
Harrison? Yes
Woodley? Maybe (but leaning no since he's still early in his career)
Troy? Sentimental value, but can't pick with my heart. Yes
Keisel? Yes
Hood? NO
Heyward? NO

we need to keep the younger players in that list at the very least, they will be carrying the torch until the end of the decade. Hood / Heyward are out of the question. Ike is still a key piece to this defense and we will need him at least for another year.

Kiesel is great but sooner or later, it's heyward's turn, and he's waited for 2 years now. he definitely knows the system and his assignments by now. ziggy has played pretty well, but people are disappointed that he's not aaron smith. news flash, aaron smith wasn't a good player, he was GREAT, you cannot replace great.

harrison & troy, i LOVE those guys. with that said, they are at the wrong ends of their careers. We can't afford to keep paying them the kind of money we are and expect them to produce like they did years ago.

Woodley is a guy who needs to get hooked up with a professional trainer. He is a monster when he's in shape, but he appears to be lazy in the offseason. Because of his age and potential, i would be willing to give him another chance, but not without lighting a fire under him in the offseason
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I think Troy is the only one that we could get something for. I'm sure there's a front office terrible enough out there to get rid of a 1st or 2nd for a player with just a couple of years left. The Raiders have filled that roll for a long time and may be interested. I'm not sure if Polamalu would play for someone else. Harrison won't go anywhere else and I don't think anybody would trade anything for him at this point in his career. I still think he would kick some ass next year if still on the team, but I doubt he will still be here due to the size of his contract. Nobody else on that list would yield us even a fair return. Nobody wants players that are about to retire and already have fallen far from their prime.

As mentioned, decisions can't be made on emotion and every option should be considered. The cap situation is terrible and getting a 3rd or 4th round pick is better then just letting a guy walk, but I don't even see that happening except for with Troy. We'd be fine without him, he missed most of this season and our defense still performed well with him out. Even when he plays, this year and last, he doesn't make plays. He's still a good safety, he's just no longer a "special" player. I REALLY would not want to see him in anything other then black and gold, but if it means we get a bit closer to a SB and improve the cap situation then it should be considered.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Ike? No
Harrison? Yes
Woodley? Maybe (but leaning no since he's still early in his career)
Troy? Sentimental value, but can't pick with my heart. Yes
Keisel? Yes
Hood? NO
Heyward? NO

we need to keep the younger players in that list at the very least, they will be carrying the torch until the end of the decade. Hood / Heyward are out of the question. Ike is still a key piece to this defense and we will need him at least for another year.

Kiesel is great but sooner or later, it's heyward's turn, and he's waited for 2 years now. he definitely knows the system and his assignments by now. ziggy has played pretty well, but people are disappointed that he's not aaron smith. news flash, aaron smith wasn't a good player, he was GREAT, you cannot replace great.

harrison & troy, i LOVE those guys. with that said, they are at the wrong ends of their careers. We can't afford to keep paying them the kind of money we are and expect them to produce like they did years ago.

Woodley is a guy who needs to get hooked up with a professional trainer. He is a monster when he's in shape, but he appears to be lazy in the offseason. Because of his age and potential, i would be willing to give him another chance, but not without lighting a fire under him in the offseason
I think the Rooneys and the coaching staff let sentimental value get in the way of a lot of decisions on the team.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kent For This Useful Post:
TRH (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
I think the Rooneys and the coaching staff let sentimental value get in the way of a lot of decisions on the team.
As an organization, we have always been willing to cut aging veterans and let go FA's that were too pricey, no matter who they were.

I think that this offseason, we will see the same.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,147 Times in 3,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
As an organization, we have always been willing to cut aging veterans and let go FA's that were too pricey, no matter who they were.

On offense, sure. Not on defense. It's like Rooney lets Dick decide who stays and who gets released on defense.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:

it's time. Both the fan base and the FO are very emotionally attached to guys like Troy, Harrison, Hampton etc.
I think we're going to see a couple of shockers this off-season and people are in for a couple of very serious jolts.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,507 Times in 790 Posts
My Mood: Hot

I'd be open to trading Troy and Woodley .
I don't think Harrison and Keisel have enough value to be pursued by other teams.
Play the young'uns. It's time.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Quote:

All I'm saying is if Charlie and Lefty are still the only backup QBS on the team next year then there is definitely some sentimental issues there.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
All I'm saying is if Charlie and Lefty are still the only backup QBS on the team next year then there is definitely some sentimental issues there.
They were both proven veterans with starts under their belts. Neither played terribly outside of mitigating circumstances... i.e., the conditions in which they were put in. But I agree that now is the time for a younger backup with some upside. I'd like to see us draft one around R5-6.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Trading is so hard in the NFL but i'd be open to trading Troy to teams with good cap situations even in our own conference. Let them deal with the aging name who will play 6-10 games a year.

Teams that come to mind are New England, Philly, Houston, and the colts.

If we can get a 3rd in 2013 and maybe something in 2014 why not. We arent a player away but 3 of those 4 teams are.

As for Woodley and harrison, look at teams converting to thr 3-4 this year who may want someone to help with the implementation and we could get a 4th for harrison. Woodley a 3rd.

most like onlt cuts would occur.