Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,908 Times in 4,628 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Steelers Sunday Spotlight: Running back / Help wanted

Rashard Mendenhallís future in Pittsburgh doesnít look too bright

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2013

When Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert promised changes to the team in his season-ending press conference, many people pointed to the running back spot as an area likely to look different next season.

Injuries and inconsistency helped the Steelers to their fewest rushing yards since 2003, which was also a year that ended without a playoff spot for Pittsburgh. Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Rashard Mendenhall all had turns in the starting lineup and none of them proved up to the task of holding the job for more than a few games at a time. Mendenhall is a free agent after the season and team president Art Rooney IIís comments to the team website donít paint a picture of a 2013 featuring Mendenhall in the lineup.

ďThe season Rashard had was not what we would have hoped for,Ē Rooney said. ďObviously, we knew he was coming back from an injury so there were some unknowns there. So, without getting into the real specifics with Rashard, itís fair to say that we are going to need a better performance out of the running back position if weíre going to be successful, Whether itís Rashard or Jonathan or Isaac or somebody else, we have to be better at that position, as well as others, but certainly at that position. In this offseason thatís something weíve got to look at and decide how we get better and who we get better with.Ē

The website goes on to say that Mendenhall ďseemed to cross the RubiconĒ by not showing up for the teamís game against the Chargers this season, a decision that earned him a one-game suspension from the team. The teamís going to find someone to be the lead dog in the backfield next season, but it looks like a safe bet that said personís name will not be Mendenhall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ok-too-bright/
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
The thing wih most of those backs like Bernard, randle, even Franklin, they have the tendencies to bounce it outside a lot. Which is what a lot of people disliked about mendenhall. And the steelers want some one to run north south most of th time with speed. Taylor and ball did this well in college but Taylor has the speed as maybe a little more of Dwyer not beak away speed and ball has some speed but not great I wanna see his 40 time and if its in the 4.4 or very most 4.5 I would be happy with drafting ball.

Also watch th senior bowl this week. Franklin a guy i like has been working on running up the middle and not bouncing so much, also barner is looking to be around 200 at the combine and is also working on going up th middle and showing scouts he has strength to fight of blockers. Also Gillesie from Florida hesbeenrunning north south with speed and only carried the ball like 380 times in college so doesn't have a heavy workload on him
Gillislee is my favorite RB in this draft
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,794 Times in 3,661 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

If Mendenhall isn't back next year, RB is the one position I can think of were we can't compete talent wise. I know the theory that a team can have a good offensive line and plug in RB's, but if protecting Ben is a priority (and it is) we need a back who is a threat and a running game that has to be accounted for making it harder to turn us into a one-dimensional offense.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote