Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Trib-Review Ranks Steelers SB Winners - 78 Team #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
It's funny how much I love the Steelers I still have not seen a single game from the Bradshaw era. It was before my time but iI always wanted to watch those games
You must be a youngin Pete?.....You could always get the SB DVD's
I can still remember watching The 70's Steelers but i was 7-8 years old during their first SB.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But the current team has a history of playing down to the level of its competition and losing to inferior teams

On the other hand, the former Sports Illustrated NFL writer Paul Zimmerman (aka Dr. Z) noted how the 1970s Steelers handled inferior competition:

You want to know what is meant by "a dynasty?" Try this statistic, which I think I must have mentioned triple-figure times: During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...1/drz_mailbag/
I understand that, u can fault the game plans and execution, but that doesn't mean we're not trying to win. The idea that we don't "play hard" until halfway through the season, but still manage to pile up wins doesn't make sense to me
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
those past teams were great but i think the 2005 would give any of them a fight.

our offense was pretty nasty to deal with, having BR/hines/bettis, and with troy p / harrison in their prime on defense. who knows maybe they'd even be able to beat the 78/79 teams
Cowhers mid 1990's teams were better than the 2005 team.

Unfortunately they ran into a dynasty in Dallas and a primed Hall of Famer in Elway!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,249 Times in 4,489 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Cowhers mid 1990's teams were better than the 2005 team.

Unfortunately they ran into a dynasty in Dallas and a primed Hall of Famer in Elway!
I was even a little new to football to really know what I was watching in those early 90's teams and even the 95 SB team. Looking over the boxscore of that loss though it looks like we were evenly matched w/ that Cowboys team.

As far as our top SB winner I thought that 05 team was a better all around team than the 08 team.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Here is the full broadcast of Super Bowl XIII

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4N-FlDmqJg
Watching this reminded me of how shitty a CB Ron Johnson was.....i still have Nightmares of Ozzie Newsome Abusing him in a Browns game back then....Newsome actually caught a Bomb over him once...a freakin TE
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
But the current team has a history of playing down to the level of its competition and losing to inferior teams

On the other hand, the former Sports Illustrated NFL writer Paul Zimmerman (aka Dr. Z) noted how the 1970s Steelers handled inferior competition:

You want to know what is meant by "a dynasty?" Try this statistic, which I think I must have mentioned triple-figure times: During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...1/drz_mailbag/
Yes. Thats exactly what I mean. Thanks for posting.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
IMO the 70s teams would have trouble without being able to bump and run receivers but still would have shut down Bettis and Parker

OTOH I can only imagine what Bradshaw, Swann, and Stallworth would have done under the current rules

Because we know the passing game was so good once the rules loosened up that 70s team still is superior to the second generation of multiple SB Steelers teams
It's hard to compare teams 30 years apart. Some how I don't think a 220lb like Jim Clack would be real effective landing a trap block on 350lb Casey Hampton....

Truth be told, different game/different era/different player build. As much fun as it is to imagine, in reality, there is no comparison. Our current team would beat them to smithereenes.....not saying the 70's crew wouldn't make a respectable showing, but eventually the size and power of today's better equiped, better trained, much larger, and faster players, would win in a rout.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Watching this reminded me of how shitty a CB Ron Johnson was.....i still have Nightmares of Ozzie Newsome Abusing him in a Browns game back then....Newsome actually caught a Bomb over him once...a freakin TE
Check out Johnson in SuperBowl 14. He played a dang fine game. For a little guy he played as big as he could. Also keep in mind, JT Thomas was back with the squad, and Johnson beat him out every year until JT hung 'em up.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I was even a little new to football to really know what I was watching in those early 90's teams and even the 95 SB team. Looking over the boxscore of that loss though it looks like we were evenly matched w/ that Cowboys team.

As far as our top SB winner I thought that 05 team was a better all around team than the 08 team.
I agree!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,488 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
It's hard to compare teams 30 years apart. Some how I don't think a 220lb like Jim Clack would be real effective landing a trap block on 350lb Casey Hampton....

Truth be told, different game/different era/different player build. As much fun as it is to imagine, in reality, there is no comparison. Our current team would beat them to smithereenes.....not saying the 70's crew wouldn't make a respectable showing, but eventually the size and power of today's better equiped, better trained, much larger, and faster players, would win in a rout.
Agreed you can only compare teamns to others in the era in which they played but humans have not evolved much in 40 years - with weight training and whatever "supplements" today's NFL players are using I am assuming the 70s players would bulk up to comparable weights and be physicaly comparable to toady's players - it is not as if the game in the 70s was slow white folks only
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote