Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,991 Posts
My Mood: Pensive
Default Re: "Put simply, we cannot allow the rights of a few to override the safety of all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
still trying to muddy the waters

I ask the questions around here counselor

Do you approve of Feinstein saying your rights are secondary to the nanny state's wishes?

That's what this thread is about.
Her quote wasn't elegant but the proposed bill is fine. Are you arguing against the quote or the bill?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #32
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: "Put simply, we cannot allow the rights of a few to override the safety of all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
All rights are not absolute

The right to own a handgun is stronger than the right to own an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine - the weaker the right the less justification required to regulate the right - it is a balancing test to be determined by both those who enact a statute or regulation and the judiciary that determines whether the action is constitutional - IMO that is what the thread is about, without muddying the waters with rhetoric about "the nanny state" and doing what "massa" tells us to do

Not every action opposed by the proponents of smaller government is unconstitutional - sometimes you have to win elections by broadening your base if you want your agenda to prevail

I'm not so sure about that. I'm a Hobbesian in this regard. Even rabid monarchists like him agreed that your obligation to preserving your own life is your supreme right and obligation. It is an absolute right. I suggest that in this case preserving my life and the lives of my fellow humans comes before my right to pack heat. That's about it.

I have to object strenuously to this idea suggested by Mom, Killer and others that the powers that be would love for us to be unarmed sheeple. I'm certain it's quite to the contrary. They obtain clear, tangible benefits from nurturing a hyper-masculine and aggressive society that is at the same time constantly stuck at 11 on the fear-o-meter. The guns secure both goals quite efficiently.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,543 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I'm a Hobbesian in this regard. Even rabid monarchists like him agreed that your obligation to preserving your own life is your supreme right and obligation. It is an absolute right. I suggest that in this case preserving my life and the lives of my fellow humans comes before my right to pack heat. That's about it.

I have to object strenuously to this idea suggested by Mom, Killer and others that the powers that be would love for us to be unarmed sheeple. I'm certain it's quite to the contrary. They obtain clear, tangible benefits from nurturing a hyper-masculine and aggressive society that is at the same time constantly stuck at 11 on the fear-o-meter. The guns secure both goals quite efficiently.
Good point - I will clarify

Not all rights are absolute
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
I have to object strenuously to this idea suggested by Mom, Killer and others that the powers that be would love for us to be unarmed sheeple
that's because you are only being told what to see when it benefits the elitist agenda

I am here to open your eyes....did you not know the full extent of your masters decisions to make you "safer"?

House Bills:

H.R. 21: NRA Members' Gun Safety Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep Moran, James P., Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 34: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep Rush, Bobby L., Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 65: Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013
. Sponsor: Rep Jackson Lee, Sheila, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 117: Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep Holt, Rush, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 137: Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 138: Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act. Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 141: Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 142: Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 226: Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act. Sponsor: Rep DeLauro, Rosa L., Referred to the Ways and Means committee.

H.R. 227: Buyback Our Safety Act. Sponsor: Rep Deutch, Theodore E., Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 236: Crackdown on Deadbeat Gun Dealers Act of 2013. Sponsor: Rep Langevin, James R., Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 238: Fire Sale Loophole Closing Act. Sponsor: Rep Meng, Grace, Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

H.R. 329: To amend the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 to encourage States to provide records to the National Instant Background Check System.Sponsor: Rep Fitzpatrick, Michael G.

H.R. 404: To enhance criminal penalties for straw purchasers of firearms. Sponsor: Rep Schiff, Adam B.

H.R. 427: To prevent the illegal sale of firearms, and for other purpoes. Sponsor: Rep Quigley, Mike

H.R. 431: To restore certain authorities of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to administer the firearms laws, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Rep Speier, Jackie

Senate Bills:

S.22: A bill to establish background check procedures for gun shows. Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. Referred to the Senate Judicary committee

S.33: A bill to prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R., Referred to the Senate Judicary committee

S.34: A bill to increase public safety by permitting the Attorney General to deny the transfer of firearms or the issuance of firearms and explosives licenses to known or suspected dangerous terrorists. Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R., Referred to the Senate Judicary committee

S.35: A bill to require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition. Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R., Referred to the Senate Judicary committee

S.54: A bill to increase public safety by punishing and deterring firearms trafficking. ("trafficking = "private sales") Sponsor: Sen Leahy, Patrick J., Referred to the Senate Judicary committee

S.147: A bill to establish minimum standards for States that allow the carrying of concealed firearms. Sponsor: Sen Boxer, Barbara , Referred to the Senate Judicary committee

S.150: A bill to regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Sen Feinstein, Dianne, Referred to the Senate Judicary committee
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
ricardisimo
Administrator

Not Australia!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

of course there is some hope..

Assault Weapons Ban Lacks Democratic Votes to Pass Senate

A proposed ban on sales of assault weapons would be defeated in the U.S. Senate unless some lawmakers changed their current views, based on a Bloomberg review of recent lawmaker statements and interviews.

At least six of the 55 senators in the Democratic caucus have expressed skepticism or outright opposition to a ban, the review found. That means Democrats wouldn’t have a 51-vote majority to pass the measure, let alone the 60 needed to break a Republican filibuster to bring it to a floor vote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ss-senate.html
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #37
ricardisimo
Administrator

If ever hope needs to be based on the fact that the two parties are indistinguishable, then yes, there is always hope.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #38
White_Steel_Wolfe
Head Coach

Member Number: 24314
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Is it REALLY needed to own a freaking Ak-47?

Really, is it?
Is that your decision to make for everyone else? I didn't think so.

This mass hysteria over assault rifles is ridiculous especially considering most of the horrible shootings have been caused by hand guns and other "non" issues.

If I want to own an assault rifle that is my choice and no one else's. It's just as easy to take out huge groups of people with a small 22'' caliber just as it is a "scary" assault rifle.

Clip size doesn't matter either. Takes half a second to load a new clip. A stupid and very scarce action by some psycho shouldn't cause people to lose their rights. Guns don't kill people- people kill people whether they have a gun, knife or even a god damn spoon.

Taking guns away and regulating them doesn't hurt criminals- it only hurts the law abiding citizens.

End of story.
White_Steel_Wolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White_Steel_Wolfe For This Useful Post:
MACH1 (03-06-2013)