Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Who's been doing the best job drafting?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-drafting.html

Steelers rank 29th in 10 year rankings and 27 in 5 year rankings.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,129 Times in 3,756 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Who's been doing the best job drafting?

ouch
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Cardinals ranked #1 and the Browns ranked #3 in the 10-year rankings. The Chiefs ranked #1 and the Dolphins #2 in the 5-year rankings.

Grain of salt.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Cardinals ranked #1 and the Browns ranked #3 in the 10-year rankings. The Chiefs ranked #1 and the Dolphins #2 in the 5-year rankings.

Grain of salt.
Other highlights include:
• The best individual draft classes to date include the 2004 Chargers class, the 2008 Chiefs class and the Cowboys 2005 class.
-The Chargers 2004 draft class produced 617 starts and 4 Pro Bowl players
-The Chiefs 2008 class has six NFL starters, four of whom are still with the Chiefs
• The worst class by a team that had a first round draft choice is the Dolphins’ 2006 class
-57 total starts from the class
• Along with the Cardinals, the Falcons are probably the team that has performed best in the draft versus expectations
-Rated 10th in the 10-year review versus expected ranking of 26
-Rated 12th in the 5-year review versus expected ranking of 32
• As painful as it is for this long-time Steelers season ticket holder to admit, their draft performance has been weak
• The Lions 10-year performance versus expectations was the worst
-Ranked 31st versus expected ranking of 2nd
-The Rams weren’t much better with 27th ranking versus expected ranking of 3rd
-The Bengals join that group with 22nd ratings in both 10-year and 5-year reviews versus expected rating of 1st and 4th, respectively
• The Browns high ranking is driven by their 2011 and 2012 draft classes, with 198 games already started by those two classes
-Bills are next highest with 145
• Expectations for the Patriots have been high despite their typical late drafting position
-Expectation was 4th in 10-year review and 1st in 5-year review
-High number of total and third round draft choices

Yes take it lightly, it weighted heavily on the number of starts by players those teams drafted. And if the player goes to another team it counts for the team the drafted that player.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,173 Times in 4,304 Posts

29th in 10 years? Sure, I'll take 29th when we have won two Super Bowls and been to three in that time. The Cardinals and Browns sure have drafted well! I mean, look how great they've been doing! Oh, wait a sec. Well, they're ranking high in the last five too! They must be doing very well! Oh, what's that? They fired both their head coaches this year and are picking top 10? Well, that's interesting.

That list is horseshit.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,961 Posts
My Mood: Fine

i appreciate the post - thanks for the research

game started isn't much of a great indicator though IMO - just my two cents

I'd like to see lower end draft picks and free agent lists for the last 10 sets of AFC, NFC championship game participants. What the two representatives have for this SB, and arguably for the last 5 SBs, is starter-ready depth from guys who were picked late, picked up off fa listings

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
29th in 10 years? Sure, I'll take 29th when we have won two Super Bowls and been to three in that time. The Cardinals and Browns sure have drafted well! I mean, look how great they've been doing! Oh, wait a sec. Well, they're ranking high in the last five too! They must be doing very well! Oh, what's that? They fired both their head coaches this year and are picking top 10? Well, that's interesting.

That list is horseshit.
No where in the article does it state that these rankings have affect on how successful teams have been. It's based on the number of starts by players those teams have drafted. Meaning those teams have drafted guys that have been durable and are able to hold onto a starting spot on a there team or another.

Drafting isn't the only factor on to why teams go to the superbowls, ie free agency, coaching, scheme, health, schedule etc.

And the steelers have been very successful but haven't drafted a lot of players who are not currently in the nfl still or players that are practice squad guys or career backups. Sure we have done great in round 1 and finding some gems later on but in most of our draft classes the last 10 years we have drafted a lot of guys who are currently not on a nfl roster or who are third stringers and such.

2009- joe Burnett, frank summers, rashon Harris, aq Shipley

2008- Limas sweed, Bruce Davis, tony hills, Dennis Dixon, mike humpal, Ryan mundy

2007- Matt spaeth, Daniel sepulveda, Ryan McLean, Cameron Stephenson, Dallas baker

2006- Anthony smith, Willie Reid, orien Harris, Omar Jacobs, Charles Davis, Marvin Phillp, Cedric humps

2005- Fred Gibson, rian Wallace, Shaun nua, Noah Herron

2004- Ricardo colclough, Nate adibi, Bo lacy, Matt kranchick, drew caylor, Eric Taylor

Etc.

Again we have dne great in round 1 and finding some key guys later but we have lots of wasted picks, that's what the article points out.

Last edited by WokeUpWithaWoodley; 01-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
No where in the article does it state that these rankings have affect on how successful teams have been. It's based on the number of starts by players those teams have drafted. Meaning those teams have drafted guys that have been durable and are able to hold onto a starting spot on a there team or another.

Drafting isn't the only factor on to why teams go to the superbowls, ie free agency, coaching, scheme, health, schedule etc.

And the steelers have been very successful but haven't drafted a lot of players who are currently in the nfl still or players that are practice squad guys or career backups. Sure we have done great in round 1 and finding some gems later on but in most of our draft classes the last 10 years we have drafted a lot of guys who are currently not on a nfl roster or who are third stringers and such.

2009- joe Burnett, frank summers, rashon Harris, aq Shipley

2008- Limas sweed, Bruce Davis, tony hills, Dennis Dixon, mike humpal, Ryan mundy

2007- Matt spaeth, Daniel sepulveda, Ryan McLean, Cameron Stephenson, Dallas baker

2006- Anthony smith, Willie Reid, orien Harris, Omar Jacobs, Charles Davis, Marvin Phillp, Cedric humps

2005- Fred Gibson, rian Wallace, Shaun nua, Noah Herron

2004- Ricardo colclough, Nate adibi, Bo lacy, Matt kranchick, drew caylor, Eric Taylor

Etc.

Again we have dne great in round 1 and finding some key guys later but we have lots of wasted picks, that's what the article points out.
Point well taken, thanks for the explanation. Now I can understand where they're coming from.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,173 Times in 4,304 Posts

That's great, but one would have to make the assumption that drafting well would ultimately lead to playing well, but that hasn't been the case. I don't know what to make of it honestly. It's definitely misleading.

I get the point of the article and where you're coming from, but it's a little iffy. I mean, it's almost a kiss of death to be at the top of that list ya know.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,961 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
That's great, but one would have to make the assumption that drafting well would ultimately lead to playing well, but that hasn't been the case. I don't know what to make of it honestly. It's definitely misleading.

I get the point of the article and where you're coming from, but it's a little iffy. I mean, it's almost a kiss of death to be at the top of that list ya know.
I'm thinking that having more draft picks starting and still losing is an indicator of who you are drafting, and more importantly, why the people in charge are drafting them

EDIT: I can recall plenty of starters on those teams that I never would wish on any Steelers roster.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote