Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: WR/Safety in the First Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
you take vaccaro if he's there at 17, there's no running backs that are 1st round talent. plenty options at rd. 2-4. hell the top pick at rb (lacy) might not even go until the 2nd round.

though if chance warmack is there at 17 that might also be hard to pass up, that would all but guarantee we have all the cogs in place at OL until the next decade
Not really. First off there is no way I want another top pick used on our line. Next, if everyone does pan out we will lose them anyway. Pouncey is going to want a new contract after next season. Everyone here says he is the best center so he is going to want to be paid as the best center in the game
If DeCastro and Adams do as well as I expect them to then there goingtto have to fork out big money on them in 3 years
Gilbert will be ready for a new contract in two years and if he is our starting left tackle like he is expected to be for the next two years then he's going to want Left Tackle money
What I'm getting at is we will be lucky if we can keep who we have. We can't afford to spend another top pick on a lineman
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #42
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Here is my issue with the contracts I don't necessarily feel the Steelers have been as smart with their spending as other teams have. There are other teams that have success without running out of money and the Steelers are always in cap trouble. They gotta be smarter about contract negotiating. They have to fimd a way to keep our core players in the future.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #43
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Here is my issue with the contracts I don't necessarily feel the Steelers have been as smart with their spending as other teams have. There are other teams that have success without running out of money and the Steelers are always in cap trouble. They gotta be smarter about contract negotiating. They have to fimd a way to keep our core players in the future.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Gilbert let go eventually, regardless if he produces upon return - I don't see things adding up to keep him on top of Pouncey, DeCastro - that's unless you pull a NE for a few seasons and are able to get huge production out of low-paid players - don't see how we can afford to pay every position on offense and keep the O-line.

Steelers have a big problem on their hands IMO - no true #1 who is physical and sure hands in traffic. On top of that, no franchise running back who takes the pressure off of Ben. On top of that, going to come into linemen wanting paid over the next few seasons. Big, big dilemma. Then - you have young, developing talent on defense that could have a breakout performance and contribute in a huge way that will want paid - then there is the secondary - just not even close to enough to spread the $$ around.

Phew - plenty of juggling.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #44
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,983 Times in 9,385 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Other teams have the same problem(s)... we just don't hear about it.

The Ravens' method is to purge every few years. Then, they have a 5-11 season. And then, they try again. Next year will be an easy purge, since Lewis, Reed, & Birk are all retiring.

The Chargers simply allow all if their best player to walk; they don't pay anyone (except LT).

The Taperiots also do not sign anyone, except Brady & Welker... & Wilfork. That's why their defense is a rotation of young players... who never seem to be "great" (but, are good & cheap).

Et cetera.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #45
Brett040489
Water Boy

Member Number: 24760

I think that a perfect running back for our offense to pair with one of our bigger backs (who ever we keep) would be Joe Randel out of Oklahoma State. He is great in space, runs hard, has incredible hands out of the back field and is very durable. He is projected some where around the 3-4 round and he would flourish in our offense.
Brett040489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #46
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett040489 View Post
I think that a perfect running back for our offense to pair with one of our bigger backs (who ever we keep) would be Joe Randel out of Oklahoma State. He is great in space, runs hard, has incredible hands out of the back field and is very durable. He is projected some where around the 3-4 round and he would flourish in our offense.
Whole lot of options now with thw hiring of the new oline coach and him running a zone blocking scheme supposedly. It will be interesting to see what happens in free agency and the draft for rbs. Im leaning towars gillisie
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote