Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,075 Times in 3,742 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: starting field position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Here is what I get out of this. 23.3 % of the time we pinned the opponent inside the 20.

That means they were able to flip field position on us as 29.8% started inside our 20.

that means our offense had long field too many time and if our #1 ranked defense could have gotten a few 3 and outs our offense would have started in better shape to score.

that is why being a #1 ranked defense based on yards allowed is such a bogus, deceiving ranking.
I agree with some of what you're saying, but the stats are only what they are. I don't think there's enough information for a professional statistician (or whomever) to develop a solid conclusion, and I've never seen these stats presented by the NFL (nothing besides starting field position averages).

I'd say they show a problem our whole team has, true the offense has a harder time getting in rhythm and sustaining good drives because they are pinned back, but also our D has problems when they are put into a bad situation.

edit: I guess the bottom line is we didn't make the plays to win games that we needed to win.

as more of a supporter of the viewpoint that our offense struggled and put our D in bad situations, I read the numbers with the opposite conclusion you have. Although I would add that's not why I went through the drives to begin with, nor did I post them to try and prove my point.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.

Last edited by harrison'samonster; 01-29-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: dumbness
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
DVD=DeMarcus Van Dyke
Really? Is he a well kept secret?
desertsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Here is what I get out of this. 23.3 % of the time we pinned the opponent inside the 20.

That means they were able to flip field position on us as 29.8% started inside our 20.

that means our offense had long field too many time and if our #1 ranked defense could have gotten a few 3 and outs our offense would have started in better shape to score.

that is why being a #1 ranked defense based on yards allowed is such a bogus, deceiving ranking.
According to you, stopping a drive and forcing the opponent to punt, even if it pins us back in our own territory, means nothing. 3 and outs are great, but this is the NFL not Alabama vs. Savannah State.

I'm glad you aren't the coach of the Steelers.
desertsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
According to you, stopping a drive and forcing the opponent to punt, even if it pins us back in our own territory, means nothing. 3 and outs are great, but this is the NFL not Alabama vs. Savannah State.

I'm glad you aren't the coach of the Steelers.
Yeah, that's one thing thats wrong with his viewpoint. All of our opponents drives aren't going to end with a turnover or a punt. Sometimes it's a victory even holding them to a field goal.

Same thing on offense, sometimes punting isn't the result of a bad drive, if it changes field position. And turnovers can't be avoided, but stupid mistakes don't happen as often on good teams.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

Just yet another aspect of this team that underperformed. This team underperformed at every level this year. They were lucky to be .500. This past year's team was not adequate in a single category. Returns, running, passing, turnovers, fumbles, lack of red zone points, burning time outs, injuries, etc.

Reading those numbers does not surprise me. If i were a coach I would not know where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
There's absolutely no excuse for this. We have (had) guys like Rainey, Brown and Sanders on our roster and at our disposal and almost a third of them started inside of our own 20? That's what pops out to me and needs addressing. Either we weren't using Brown and friends effectively, or we need new ST guys on the field blocking.

I have a feeling DVD is going to be returning kickoffs and punts next year though and he has some big play ability. I'm hoping that will balance out those numbers a little bit.
Twentyvalve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

went over a few things, and I'd like to remind you this isn't official and I probably made a mistake or two but here it goes:

I tallied up the drives between week 1 through the 1st half of the KC game (before BB got injured).

out of 83 drives on offense:
20 (24.1%) began between our 0-19 yard line. 29.8% on the whole season
33 (39.8%) began between our 20-29 yard line
17 (20.5%) began between our 30-59 yard line. 16.6% on the whole season
13 (15.7%) began on our opponents side. 11.6% on the whole season

out of 80 drives on defense:
20 (25%) began between their 0-19 yard line. 23.3% on the whole season
35 (43.8%) began between their 20-29 yard line
19 (23.8%) began between their 30-49 yard line. 25.6% on the whole season
6 (7.5%) began on our side. 14.5% on the whole season

Of the drives starting:
on offense between our 0-19 we had 1 FG and 2 TD (scoring 15% of drives) 16.7% on the whole season
on defense between their 0-19 they had 2 FG and 1 TD (scoring 15% of drives) 10% on the whole season

on offense between our 20-29 we had 8 FG and 11TD (scoring 57.6% of drives) 38.2% on the whole season
on defense between their 20-29 they had 4 FG and 12 TD (scoring 45.7%) 33,3% on the whole season

on offense between our 30-49 we had 7 FG and 5 TD (scoring 70.6% of drives) 50% on the whole season
on defense between their 30-49 they had 4 FG and 2 TD (scoring 31.6%) 31.8% on the whole season

on offense on their side we had 2 FG and 3 TD (scoring 38.5%!!) 47.6% on the whole season
on defense on our side they had 3 FG and 3 TD (scoring 100%!!) 72% on the whole season

Last edited by harrison'samonster; 01-31-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

I also went through looking for drives on which we got close to scoring position but were knocked back. I didn't find as many as I had expect, but I'll go through the ones in games we lost.

In the 1st Quarter in Denver we had a 1st and ten on their 33 yard line. We ran for -6 yards, ran for 3, then sacked for -9 yards. We ended up punting from their 45 yard line.

In the 2nd Quarter against Tennessee we had a 1st and ten on their 32 yard line. We threw and INT.
In the 4th Quarter against Tennessee we had a 1st and ten on their 39 yard line. We passed for 6, ran for -1, then threw an incomplete pass. FG was no good.

In the 3rd Quarter of the 1st Baltimore game we had a 1st and ten on their 40 yard line. we had two runs for 1 yard each, then threw an INT.

In the 4th Quarter of the 1st Cleveland game we had a 1st and ten on their 28 yard line. we ran for -2 yards, then threw an INT.

This is were it starts to hurt.

In the 4th Quarter against Dallas we had a 3rd and 4 on their 37 yard line. We were sacked for -2 yards and punted away.

Only read on if you enjoy pain!

In the 2nd quarter against Cincinnatti we had a 1st and ten on their 15 yard line. We ran for 3, passed for 6, threw and incomplete pass, FG was no good.
In the 3rd quarter against Cincinnatti we had a 1st and ten on their 32 yard line. We ran for 4, ran for -1, then sacked for -8 yards. We punted away.
In the 4th Quarter we had a 1st and ten on their 42 yard line. We ran for 4, ran for -2, then Roethlisberger ran for 4. FG was no good. AAARGHH
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

I also went through and looked at drives we were backed up and punted away before crossing the 30 yard line. I wanted to know what the other team did on their next possesion.

They kicked a FG on 11 drives (2 of them missed). Of the 9 FG's that were good they drove less than 10 yrds 3 times and 10-20 yards 4 times. 7 of 9 they drove less than 20 yards to score.

Their offense scored 5 TD's. For those five drives they drove 10 yards, 17 yards, 31 yards, 48 yards, and 58 yards.

Their punt return team scored 1 TD. Their Defense scored on 1 fumble return and 1 INT return.

7 times their offense went 3 and out.

2 times the clock expired.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add on 2 of the drives our defense forced a turnover.

They scored on 17 drives after we began between our 0-19 yard line and didn't advance pass the 30 yard line. In comparison, our offense scored on 9 drives we started between our 0-19 yard line.

Last edited by harrison'samonster; 01-31-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

also, I forgot to add Dick van Dyke would be horrible at returning kicks. Dude can't walk across his own living room without getting tackled by the furniture.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,171 Times in 3,276 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
also, I forgot to add Dick van Dyke would be horrible at returning kicks. Dude can't walk across his own living room without getting tackled by the furniture.
OOOHHHH.....you mean DVD!
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote