Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,528 Times in 2,676 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--re...190346715.html

NEW ORLEANS – San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver has made inflammatory comments regarding homosexuality in football just a few days before Super Bowl XLVII.
Shock jock Artie Lange revealed he had interviewed Culliver at media day Tuesday and aired a segment on his show that night, where the player insisted that any gay players would not be welcome on the team.
"I don't do the gay guys man," said Culliver, whose Niners play the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.
"Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah…can't be…in the locker room man. Nah."
When quizzed by Lange whether any homosexual athletes would need to keep their sexuality a secret in football, Culliver responded: "Yeah, come out 10 years later after that."

Scored a 9 on the Wonderlic. Go figure. I'm ashamed he's from my alma mater.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

49ers “reject the comments” made by Chris Culliver

Posted by Josh Alper on January 30, 2013, 6:19 PM EST

AP
The extra cameras and microphones about during Super Bowl week always seem to turn up unexpected stories and this year is no exception.

49ers cornerback Chris Culliver’s become an unlikely focus of attention on Wednesday thanks to comments he made on a radio show Tuesday. Culliver said that he would not welcome a gay teammate and said he thought players who were gay should wait until long after they’re retired before revealing that part of themselves. There’s been a quick condemnation of Culliver’s insensitive and homophobic remarks from many corners, including Culliver’s employers.

The 49ers released a statement Wednesday afternoon that was much more in line with the 49ers’ past support for anti-bullying campaigns directed at lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender youth.

“The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.”

The normal cycle of these things calls for an apology from Culliver. We’d expect to hear one on Thursday at the latest. The condemnation from the 49ers and so many others mean more for making sure the NFL is inclusive of all people, though.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Of course I find his mentality disgusting and retrograde, but i'm not really that surprised. Fortunately, viewpoints like his will diminishih with time, and it's comforting to know that people like this are on the losing side of history.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Don't know why people feel so threatened by openly gay people. Culliver acts as if every gay male is the same. I've had some gay friends who I wouldn't know they were gay unless they told me. Really is no big deal to me. I'll echo what Charles Barkley said about having an openly gay teammate, can he play?
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,023 Times in 4,571 Posts

As disturbing as what he said was, I'm glad he's not just echoing what the media wants to hear. He has his own opinions - however inconsiderate or ignorant they might be - and he's sharing them. Quite frankly, I don't know why any of the media is asking questions like this in the first place. Thanks, Ayanbadejo for bringing this issue to the Super Bowl. He opened up a can of worms and allowed this type of questioning to be brought up.

How about during the Super Bowl, the media only asks players about, jeez I don't know, football related matters. Is that too much to ask?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Oh no, he doesn't like gay people! What a vile monster! You can't be anything but acceptable about gay people! You must only positive about Gays. You cannot be negative. You must ONLY be accepting and approving of LGBT. This hypocritical whiny self-indulgent attitude is ridiculous and needs to stop. The moment someone says "I don't like you", you want to hang them. He doesn't have to like Gays.

I don't think he worded it properly, but he has a right to his words. If you want to hold accountable to his words, that's fine. But I'm not going to hang the guy for stating his honest truth. Does he have a right to speak for the team? No. But he shouldn't hide what he really thinks if he's asked a question. If he doesn't swing that way, then that's who he is. Acceptance goes both ways. If a man wants the ****, then that's his perogative. Culliver shouldn't have to pretend that he likes it.

Unless this Culliver fellow is taking a gay person and beating him to death for being gay, he isn't doing anything wrong by being honest with himself and others. By all means feel "ashamed" and feel "disgusted" and "indignified" by someone telling the truth. It proves that we lack a spine.

Last edited by Edman; 01-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
torpedoshell31 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Oh no, he doesn't like gay people! What a vile monster! You can't be anything but acceptable about gay people! You must only positive about Gays. You cannot be negative. You must ONLY be accepting and approving of LGBT. This hypocritical whiny self-indulgent attitude is ridiculous and needs to stop. The moment someone says "I don't like you", you want to hang them. He doesn't have to like Gays.

I don't think he worded it properly, but he has a right to his words. If you want to hold accountable to his words, that's fine. But I'm not going to hang the guy for stating his honest truth. Does he have a right to speak for the team? No. But he shouldn't hide what he really thinks if he's asked a question. If he doesn't swing that way, then that's who he is. Acceptance goes both ways.

Unless this Culliver fellow is taking a gay person and beating him to death for being gay, he isn't doing anything wrong by being honest with himself and others. By all means feel "ashamed" and feel "disgusted" and "indignified" by someone telling the truth. It proves that we lack a spine.
I have the right to my words too. Bigotry is ugly in SF with Culliver and here with anyone who feels the same way. Yes every bigot has the right to be a bigot but the rest of us have the right to call them on it loudly. He didn't say he would never be gay, he said no gays would be welcome on the team. He wants them excluded. Fuck him and those who agree with him.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post

No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.
Doubtful - the 49ers certainly did in recent years

Former San Francisco 49er Kwame Harris has been charged with felony domestic violence and assault charges from an August beating involving a former boyfriend, a prosecutor and defense lawyer said....

The charges stem from an altercation outside a Menlo Park restaurant between Harris, 30, and Dimitri Geier, who suffered several facial fractures that required surgery, Serrato said. Geier reportedly has filed a civil suit against Harris for assault, battery, false imprisonment, negligence and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

According to a report by the San Mateo Daily Journal, Harris and Geier had been involved in a romantic relationship but were just friends when they met at Su Hong restaurant. Harris, who intended to drive Geier to San Francisco International Airport, became upset when Geier poured soy sauce on a plate of rice, according to the civil suit.

The men argued, the suit states, and Harris decided not to take Geier to the airport. As the men left, Harris reportedly tried to pull Geier's pants down and accused him of stealing his underwear.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/k...derwear-012813
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I have the right to my words too. Bigotry is ugly in SF with Culliver and here with anyone who feels the same way. Yes every bigot has the right to be a bigot but the rest of us have the right to call them on it loudly. He didn't say he would never be gay, he said no gays would be welcome on the team. He wants them excluded. Fuck him and those who agree with him.
That's fine. Call him out on his views. You have a right to do that, just like he has a right to speak out against Gays.

However, no one should be excluded from the team. Like I said, this is where Culliver went wrong. He can speak up for himself, but he cannot speak up for the organization.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
That's fine. Call him out on his views. You have a right to do that, just like he has a right to speak out against Gays.

However, no one should be excluded from the team. Like I said, this is where Culliver went wrong. He can speak up for himself, but he cannot speak up for the organization.
There's a kind of notion that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! A bloke who's been a professor of dentistry for 40 years doesn't have a debate with some idiot who removes his teeth with string and a door!
—Dara O'Briain