Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,754 Times in 4,799 Posts
Default Re: Bill Cowher: 8-8 won't trigger Steelers panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Yeah, it's easy replacing first-ballot HOF guys in the draft. Look how well we replaced Woodson years ago. Joe Greene before that. Lambert, Ham...the list goes on.

I don't know why we waste time drafting guys who won't be first-ballot HOF'ers.
It's easy replacing first ballot HOF guys when they don't produce. You're absolutely right, we couldn't replace the Troy of old. Ya know, back when he contributed in 2010 but since then, he's been a shell of his former self. I'd rather have a 21 year old start all 16 games for around 850k then have a 31 year old start, miss 9 games and have a 10 million dollar cap hit. It'd be easier to swallow that pill if he contributed but sadly, he hasn't in a couple of years.

I'm sorry, he's just not the Troy we've all come to know and love anymore. He's not worth it anymore. Trade him to a team that doesn't know any better and we can continue the 'reload not rebuild' mantra.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,644 Times in 10,400 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
It's easy replacing first ballot HOF guys when they don't produce. You're absolutely right, we couldn't replace the Troy of old. Ya know, back when he contributed in 2010 but since then, he's been a shell of his former self. I'd rather have a 21 year old start all 16 games for around 850k then have a 31 year old start, miss 9 games and have a 10 million dollar cap hit. It'd be easier to swallow that pill if he contributed but sadly, he hasn't in a couple of years.

I'm sorry, he's just not the Troy we've all come to know and love anymore. He's not worth it anymore. Trade him to a team that doesn't know any better and we can continue the 'reload not rebuild' mantra.
I posted this in another thread, but maybe it belongs here...

Not to be argumentative, but trading Woodley actually makes just as much sense as trading Troy... if not more so.

Troy: 31
Woodley: 28
ADVANTAGE: Woodley... although not significantly younger (& Troy is in better physical shape).

Troy: when healthy, the best player at his position.
Woodley: when healthy, "one of" the best sack artists (and good against the run).
ADVANTAGE: Troy.

Troy: injured for two years, but came on at the end of last season (watch the Cincy game).
Woodley: was looking strong, and then got injured for the last part of that year & the next year.
ADVANTAGE: Equal... although, again, Troy is more physically fit... and looks closer to being "back" to his old self.

Lastly...

Troy: $7.1 million cap hit
Woodley: $7.2 million cap hit
ADVANTAGE: Equal.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,644 Times in 10,400 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Cowher let Woodson walk? Baloney. The FO did.
Cowher asked Rod to play FS. Rod was adamant that he could return to his old form... and thus, they parted ways.

After a failed year in SF, Woodson (finally) accepted the move to FS.

If only Rod had had that epiphany a year sooner. Alas...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
Theres is no way the FO would ever let go of Troy unless it was serious cap problems.

But if we did cut Troy I believe he would retire imo.
There are serious cap problems, and I agree that he would likely retire.

As for him being like his old self again, it will never happen. There is no reason to think that he will start staying healthier as he gets older and he hasn't made a significant play since 2010. I'm not sure if he will be cut or not, and I wouldn't like to see it, but it may be necessary. The cap situation is terrible and our defense was just as good with Will Allen.