Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,507 Times in 9,932 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: My Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
This is what I would like... maybe just wishful thinking. This post is an exact repost from another topic I replied on two or three days ago.

1. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
2. Giovanni Bernard, RB, North Carolina
3. Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
4. D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
5. Duke Williams, S, Nevada
6. Rick Wagner, OG, Wisconsin
7. Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
Sturgis.

Nice. I was on that bandwagon, as well. But, currently, I am 50-50. Why? Suisham had a great year.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #22
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Sturgis.

Nice. I was on that bandwagon, as well. But, currently, I am 50-50. Why? Suisham had a great year.
Suisham had a good year, but we lost more than a few games by 3 points or less. Instead of punting from the 40 yard line I would rather be lining up for a fg. Almost everything over 50 yards was short for Suisham. Plus it helps special teams with touchbacks. Sturgis has quite the leg, and after watching Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh and Greg "the leg" Zuerlein, kick 50+ yard kicks like automatic, I can't help but think we could have gotten at least 2 more wins just from that. And with 2 more wins we would have been in the dance in January.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Suisham had a good year, but we lost more than a few games by 3 points or less. Instead of punting from the 40 yard line I would rather be lining up for a fg. Almost everything over 50 yards was short for Suisham. Plus it helps special teams with touchbacks. Sturgis has quite the leg, and after watching Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh and Greg "the leg" Zuerlein, kick 50+ yard kicks like automatic, I can't help but think we could have gotten at least 2 more wins just from that. And with 2 more wins we would have been in the dance in January.
I concur... that was my thought for most of the season.

BUT... after the year that Suisham had, I simply do not see them drafting a kicker. Instead, I think that their focus will be on "breaking" past the 45 yard FG area (where they had to punt) into the 35 yard FG area (where Suisham can kick a FG). As in: converting one more third down, in order to get into "makable" FG range. [Likewise, I see them taking those drives that stalled at the 10, and converting those FGs into TDs.]

Anyways, in in the end, I agree about taking Sturgis. I had him mocked, in my mock in R5 or R6... and would gladly take him in R7 (if he's still there).
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

If we are going "dream" mock... well... dream BIG.

R1 - Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
R2 - Matt Elam, SS, Florida
R3 - (traded to acuire Elam)
R4 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Car (he FULLY recovers)
R5 - Gavin Escobar, TE, SDSU (he somehow drops to R5)
R6 - Alex Carder, QB, Western Michigan
R7 - James Hurst or Ricky Wagner, OL (depth)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #25
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Sturgis.

I never trust a kicker even though he just had a good year before, unless the kicker is Vinatieri or Janikowski. Akers was excellent last season and has suddenly fallen off this season. Crosby was the same. Few are reilable in the league.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #26
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Can you Trust 50 yrd in Pittsburgh by anybody??
the longest field goal I could find is 52 by Jeff Reed

Now punter on the other hand ... Drew Butler sucked I know he was only a rookie but need at least some competition and I believe one of these guys could be a 7th round of UFA to bring in

Jeff Locke - First-team all-conference punter Jeff Locke is one of the best around, although his 43.4-yard average might not be eye-popping. He is great at placement and hang time, helping UCLA rank 14th nationally in net punting. And he hits 77 percent of his kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks. UCLA misses Damien Thigpen (ACL) on kick returns.

Ryan Allen - Punter - Ryan Allen, senior, 6-2, 215, Louisiana Tech...Allen led the nation in punting this season with an average of 48.04 yards per punt and leads the nation in net punting with a net punting average of 43.51. He booted the longest punt this season of any punter in the country with an 85-yard kick at New Mexico State. Over 44 percent of his punts this season have landed inside the 20 and over 46 percent of his punts have gone over 50 yards. Last week Allen became the first player to ever win the Ray Guy Award (nationís top punter) in back-to-back years. - Louisiana Tech football
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
Can you Trust 50 yrd in Pittsburgh by anybody??
the longest field goal I could find is 52 by Jeff Reed

Now punter on the other hand ... Drew Butler sucked I know he was only a rookie but need at least some competition and I believe one of these guys could be a 7th round of UFA to bring in

Jeff Locke - First-team all-conference punter Jeff Locke is one of the best around, although his 43.4-yard average might not be eye-popping. He is great at placement and hang time, helping UCLA rank 14th nationally in net punting. And he hits 77 percent of his kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks. UCLA misses Damien Thigpen (ACL) on kick returns.

Ryan Allen - Punter - Ryan Allen, senior, 6-2, 215, Louisiana Tech...Allen led the nation in punting this season with an average of 48.04 yards per punt and leads the nation in net punting with a net punting average of 43.51. He booted the longest punt this season of any punter in the country with an 85-yard kick at New Mexico State. Over 44 percent of his punts this season have landed inside the 20 and over 46 percent of his punts have gone over 50 yards. Last week Allen became the first player to ever win the Ray Guy Award (nationís top punter) in back-to-back years. - Louisiana Tech football
Brad Wing declared early out of LSU... best directional punter I've seen if they want someone like that. Also, I know a place kicker isn't the largest need, but I would welcome a kicker and I personally want to have one with a larger leg.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #28
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937
Talking Re: My Mock

Quote:
1 - Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia
Yes I think he drops ... teams in the top 10 won't pick him because of his only like 6 year span ... he won't test real well at the combine ... reports he don't like working out (probably can't with the spine issue) ... DL would have to play him from year 1 though... Say bye bye to James Harrison and save that 5-6 mill it saves

2 - David Amerson - FS/CB
I absolutely Love Amerson and would take him in the 1st ... I love his ability to play center field and make plays on the ball ... something our DBs lacked for yearsssssss ... I also like his ability to be able to cover the Bigger TEs during a blitz

3 - Jonathan Cyprien - SS - FIU
Like somebody said in their mock ... Cyprrien and Amerson compliment each other well... His stock went through the roof from the senior bowl ... can tackle and can cover

4 - Kenjon Barner - RB - Oregon
Absolute Game Changing Speed ... Can Catch ... Can Handle more punishment then Rainey

5 - Michael Williams - TE - Bama
Best blocking TE and his receiving is underrated

6 - Jeff Lucke - P - UCLA
absolutely need a better punter ... and he'll help Kickoff as he can consistently boot it out of the endzone ... Had a good showing in either the East.West or senior bowl I forget which one

7 - Oline / WR ... somebody for depth
I know drafting a TE would be great until the Injured Heath Miller returns, but unless it's a Zach Ertz/Tyler Eifert kinda TE it's better going through free agency. Wallace will sign else where and Harrison will be cut (Cap Issue/age). Mendenhall may or may not be back depending on the contract he wants.

1st. DE/OLB Ezekiel Ansah
Ansah is starting to get more recognition now and it's probably going to increase his value, everyone is comparing him to Jason Pierre-Paul and rightfully so as he's big and strong, and has the athleticism to be an elite pass rusher. The Steelers NEED a guy like this to compliment Woodley's Bull rush style of Pass rushing. He'd be an excellent choice in the first round.

2nd. WR Da'Rick Rogers or TE Zach Ertz*
Rogers has an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness. Rogers played in all 11 games for Tennessee Tech in 2012, and lead the team with 61 catches for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns. No one else on the roster had more than 28 receptions, and Rogers put up his staggering numbers despite every opponent game-planning to contain him. And don't forget his great season the year before when Justin Hunter went down and he showed what he was truly capable of by racking up 67 receptions, 1,040 receiving yards and nine touchdowns in 2011 for the Tennessee Volunteers.

Ertz probably will be gone before the Steelers choose in the 2nd, but if he is still available then he'd be a great pick. (I'd personally rather have Rogers though, as Ben needs more weapons in this offense at the WR position and we could sign a decent TE cheap in free agency.)

3rd. RB Joseph Randle** or ILB Jon Bostic***
Randle has good speed to burst through the hole and stay upright through contact -- many of his yards came after the initial hit when he lowered his pads and fell forward. Randle has an upright running style, but he accelerates quickly and is productive as both a rusher and receiver.

Instinctive, physical and productive against quality competition, Bostic ranks as one of the better no-nonsense run-stuffing inside linebackers of the 2013 draft class. As his five career interceptions and 7.5 sacks attest, he's also capable of contributing against the pass -- traits which should help him earn a selection during the late second to mid third days of the draft.

4th. FS D.J. Swearinger
Swearinger is a beast and would fit right in with this Steelers defense, especially when he'll be learning from two of the best safeties in the league in Clark & Polamalu.

5th. ILB Kevin Reddick***
As for Reddick, we need to draft an Inside Linebacker whether it be for depth or to compete for the starting job because I'm not sure if Sean Spence is ready for the job yet and Reddick can show his worth during Preseason.

6th. DT Montori Hughes or OG Omoregie Uzzi
Even though Hughes has had issues with effort and character issues in the past, his ability to take on double teams and still emerge the victor, is worth giving him a shot. He's a perfect fit for our 3-4 defensive scheme and should help free up linebackers from blocks since he's likely to be double teamed a lot.

Uzzi is an explosive, quick athlete for his size. Comes off the ball fast, and displays athleticism to get to the second level quickly, can be a good pass blocker when he gets his arms extended, but needs to work on his technique and footwork in pass blocking. He'd be a good back up and possible replacement at guard in a couple years.

7th. QB Collin Klein****
Klein is an upgrade to Batch & Leftwich combined and he's big like Roethlisberger as well. (Not much analysis, just that we need a better back up than what we have and Klein should do the Job).

* On the slim chance he's still available.
** Only if the Steelers don't re-sign Mendenhall
*** Bostic in 3rd round if we re-sign Mendenhall, Reddick in 5th if we don't and Randle in the 3rd round.
**** If we don't find a suitable back up for cheap in free agency.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,504 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Jones is good enough against the Run ... and he did all this with teams knowing and having to double team him ... Now imagine that he has Woodley on the other side to take away that double team

If your talking about the SEC championship game where all they did was power run right at him and he still made a couple plays ... The guy just makes plays no matter how much other teams try to "take him away"

who else did Georgia have to take away blocks from him???
Who else did they have?

How about the other 10 defensive starters that are rated as NFL caliber players. I understand that the team didn't hold up against the run as a whole, but you still didn't address how undisciplined he is and how he freelances outside the defensive scheme. That won't work at the NFL level. Making a play against the run 5 yards in the backfield is great, but if all you do is shoot gaps and fly upfield while ignoring defensive assignments, you could do more harm than good. Again, if he's a coachable kid, and the team thinks he has the physical skills to play in the 3-4 and make impact plays, that's great. He just hasn't shown that to me with how he played at Georgia.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote