Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #211
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,397 Times in 10,306 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

I found this mock. Now, bleacherreport tends to do a LOT of mocks (one per day), with a wide assortment of players being drafted in each version; so, take this with a grain of salt. Regardless, this is interesting.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...asons-e/page/2

I find the following picks to be very good/interesting:

R1: Vaccaro, SS, Texas
I like Elam, but Vaccaro is 1-a. Thus, I am a fan of this pick.

R2: Ertz, TE, Stanford
I've asked: if the Steelers are planning on drafting a big WR, why not go for a TE instead? I've also averred that if Ertz drops to them in R2, he'd be difficult to pass on. This is a very intriguing pick.

R4: Hodges, LB, Penn St.
A player that many have mentioned.

R6: Carder, QB, Western Michigan
I like this pick... because, it's who I had the Steelers taking. Nowhere else have I seen Carder's name mentioned, let alone mentioned in connection with the Steelers. I'll take this as a "sign."
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #212
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I found this mock. Now, bleacherreport tends to do a LOT of mocks (one per day), with a wide assortment of players being drafted in each version; so, take this with a grain of salt. Regardless, this is interesting.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...asons-e/page/2

I find the following picks to be very good/interesting:

R1: Vaccaro, SS, Texas
I like Elam, but Vaccaro is 1-a. Thus, I am a fan of this pick.

R2: Ertz, TE, Stanford
I've asked: if the Steelers are planning on drafting a big WR, why not go for a TE instead? I've also averred that if Ertz drops to them in R2, he'd be difficult to pass on. This is a very intriguing pick.
Ertz may not last to our pick in the 2nd round is my main concern. I said before I like him or Eifert (I can't really distinguish much between the two) as the Steelers first pick. Again, it may be possible to trade down somewhat in the first round to get one of these two. We probably would not be able to get Vaccaro or Elam in the 2nd round as it stands now, but we could get one of the other top guys.

But yeah I really Iike getting a safety and tight end if it's Ertz or Eifert with our first two picks. I believe Ertz or Eifert would contribute immediately. Either one is better than our tight end backups. Either would start if Heath isn't back to start the season. When Heath is back, we could and should run more two tight end plays, especially in the red zone. If we get Ertz or Eifert, a big WR is less of a concern.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #213
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,514 Times in 5,955 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
I'd still rather have Ezekiel Ansah... he's only been playing football for 3 years and he's already such a great athlete, that's something special.

Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw?

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 24, 2013

MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that we are through three full days of Senior Bowl practices, it's time to single out a few players who have seen their draft stock rise or fall here:

Risers

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: Trufant has been the top cornerback in Mobile. He has shown outstanding foot quickness, agility and ball skills. Most teams that I spoke with prior to the Senior Bowl had Trufant pegged as a middle-of-the-second-round-type player. Following three days of practice, nearly every personnel executive I spoke with considers him a likely first-round pick.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern: Williams quickly garnered the attention of NFL personnel during the weigh-ins, checking in at a whopping 341 pounds. He hasn't had any trouble using his size and strength to overpower opposing linemen in one-on-one pass-rush drills. However, his surprisingly nimble footwork is what has been most impressive. He is being talked about as a likely second-round pick.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas: Every time Goodwin lines up for a repetition in one-on-ones, there is a hush in the crowd. NFL evaluators have been intoxicated by his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He has been caught up in press coverage a few times this week, but his overall performance has left quite an impression on clubs in need of a home-run hitter at receiver.

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech and Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: I couldn't include one of these players without adding the other. Both Patton and Wheaton have been outstanding the entire week of practice. Patton is a little bit stronger than Wheaton, but they are both natural route-runners with incredible quickness. Both guys have made impressive catches on 50-50 balls, defeating cornerbacks with equal opportunities to make a play. Patton and Wheaton can play either inside or outside and should immediately contribute to the teams that draft them. These are plug-and-play-type talents.

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has put together a dominant week of practice, but that was expected by most NFL evaluators. Johnson, on the other hand, didn't show up in Mobile with quite the same reputation. Through the first three days of practice, there aren't many NFL personnel men who consider Johnson anything other than a first-round talent. He's played both left and right tackle and handled opposing pass rushers with ease during the one-on-one pass-rush drills. He also has shown a nasty side in the run game.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...-ansah-too-raw
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #214
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw?

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 24, 2013

MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that we are through three full days of Senior Bowl practices, it's time to single out a few players who have seen their draft stock rise or fall here:

Risers

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: Trufant has been the top cornerback in Mobile. He has shown outstanding foot quickness, agility and ball skills. Most teams that I spoke with prior to the Senior Bowl had Trufant pegged as a middle-of-the-second-round-type player. Following three days of practice, nearly every personnel executive I spoke with considers him a likely first-round pick.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern: Williams quickly garnered the attention of NFL personnel during the weigh-ins, checking in at a whopping 341 pounds. He hasn't had any trouble using his size and strength to overpower opposing linemen in one-on-one pass-rush drills. However, his surprisingly nimble footwork is what has been most impressive. He is being talked about as a likely second-round pick.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas: Every time Goodwin lines up for a repetition in one-on-ones, there is a hush in the crowd. NFL evaluators have been intoxicated by his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He has been caught up in press coverage a few times this week, but his overall performance has left quite an impression on clubs in need of a home-run hitter at receiver.

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech and Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: I couldn't include one of these players without adding the other. Both Patton and Wheaton have been outstanding the entire week of practice. Patton is a little bit stronger than Wheaton, but they are both natural route-runners with incredible quickness. Both guys have made impressive catches on 50-50 balls, defeating cornerbacks with equal opportunities to make a play. Patton and Wheaton can play either inside or outside and should immediately contribute to the teams that draft them. These are plug-and-play-type talents.

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has put together a dominant week of practice, but that was expected by most NFL evaluators. Johnson, on the other hand, didn't show up in Mobile with quite the same reputation. Through the first three days of practice, there aren't many NFL personnel men who consider Johnson anything other than a first-round talent. He's played both left and right tackle and handled opposing pass rushers with ease during the one-on-one pass-rush drills. He also has shown a nasty side in the run game.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...-ansah-too-raw
Yeah I've seem similar articles on bleacher report and sbnation. Like I've said in the war room on the wr thread I really like Goodwin and Patton before the senior bowl. But Goodwin is a slot guy and that's what he will be in the nfl also a great return guy, but we have our slot guy in sanders so it really wouldn't fit a need if drafted.

I've love Patton all long during the football season, banks one of the best cb in the draft said he was the best receiver he faced, and he is showing his ability at the senior bowl. Although I love him and think he will be great in the next level, he is only 6 foot and I think a lot of us want a 6-2 to 6-4 guy on the other side of brown. But all in all he has the ability and I wouldn't be mad if Quitton "the general" Patton was a steeler.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #215
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

How do you rank them? Just wonder. Javis Jones is clear #1 for me but after that I couldn't decide.
kan_t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #216
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

How do you rank them? Just wonder. Javis Jones is clear #1 for me but after that I couldn't decide.
For me, I put Vaccaro and Elam over Dion Jordan, I am just not that high on Jordan.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #217
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,397 Times in 10,306 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

I really want a safety. This defense has been elite, when it has had a great safety (or two).

Wagner & Shell
Lake & Perry
Polamalu & Hope
Polamslu & Clark

Thus, my preference is Elam, with Vaccaro being 1-a.

Sure, this is the "draft of the safety" (there are about ten safeties that will go in the first three rounds)... but, I want an elite safety. Ergo, again, Elam (or Vaccaro).

That said, last season, the thing most needed on this team was a pass-rush. Thus, I am not at all against a pass-rusher.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #218
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,113 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

Jones
Vacarro
Jordan
Ansah
Elam
Mingo
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #219
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

Jones
Mingo - Know in college it didn't show but he is a stand up guy only NOT a 4-3 end
Ansah
Phillip Thomas
Elam
Bacarri Rambo
David Amerson
Okafor
Vaccaro
Jordan

I would absolutely LOVE a safety combo of any of those 4, yes I know Rambo and Amerson wouldn't be ideal because none is a in the box tackler but they would make "Splash" plays ... But don't it would happen
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #220
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

Justin Hunter - WR Tennessee

Take a look at this guy; if he hadn't injured his knee, he would have been a top 10 pick. This kid is fast! He also seems to have a nice attitude as well. If he's there at 17? Most draft boards have the Steelers taking him in the 2nd, he will not last that long at all.

Last edited by Steel95; 02-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote