Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
BleedPurple
Starter

Member Number: 19142
Default Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
As a linebacker : above-average to very good, no question. But there's plenty of guys who are, and who have in the past, wiped the floor with him at LB in comparison

Name. . . 10--in the history of the league-- and I will tear apart any argument you make. Of the 10 you name I will point out how you must be a moron for putting 8 of them ahead of Lewis.

Above average? What a joke.
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,262 Times in 4,117 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple View Post
Name. . . 10--in the history of the league-- and I will tear apart any argument you make. Of the 10 you name I will point out how you must be a moron for putting 8 of them ahead of Lewis.

Above average? What a joke.
in the whole history of the league? You mean I can go all the way back to 1996! That's when football was invented in Baltimore.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
This is sugarcoated nonsense. There is no question Ray Lewis is an all-time great. No question. This is the equivalent of a Ravens fan saying Polamalu is overrated. Both examples of statements that are silly, stupid, and based entirely on personal feelings that have no basis in fact.

everybody's entitled to their opinions. He's goes down as great - and i don't disagree with it - due more in part to his leadership attributes & popularity than his play on the field. I i don't even know how that can be disputed.
And his play on the field was no question above average/excellent.

And for the record, i have always liked Lewis, many times defending him and saying he would have been a great Steeler, while listening to others trash him on here. I just don't drink this "greatest ever Kool-aid". Once again, i don't disagree with Chad Brown.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

There's no doubt Ray is one of the better LB's to have played the game and deserves the HOF honors.

As for the tackling, I see a lot of players just barely get a hand on the offensive player and get credit for a tackle or sack. Every team has a great player with hyped up numbers.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
in the whole history of the league? You mean I can go all the way back to 1996! That's when football was invented in Baltimore.
lol, you can go back to 1896 if you want, there aren't 10 players better at MLB, not even arguably. I would argue there aren't 2 other players better at MLB, but that is definitely arguable as it gets crowded at the top.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,512 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
lol, you can go back to 1896 if you want, there aren't 10 players better at MLB, not even arguably. I would argue there aren't 2 other players better at MLB, but that is definitely arguable as it gets crowded at the top.
i could, butkus and singletary

butkus was definitely the most intimidating ever

[youtube]XavMnJDfavo[/youtube]
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i could, butkus and singletary

butkus was definitely the most intimidating ever

[youtube]XavMnJDfavo[/youtube]
Like I said, 2 is arguable as I think Butkus, Lambert, and Singletary are all in that conversation. But I'm arguing against someone who called him above average to very good, who you will notice has not chimed in with his list of 10 all time that are better, because you run out of choices that make sense when you get to 3 or 4.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,512 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
Like I said, 2 is arguable as I think Butkus, Lambert, and Singletary are all in that conversation. But I'm arguing against someone who called him above average to very good, who you will notice has not chimed in with his list of 10 all time that are better, because you run out of choices that make sense when you get to 3 or 4.
true, well if anyone says he's average is sipping the haterade. i personally don't like the guy and have no love for the ravens, but ray lewis was a great player and lock in for the HOF without a doubt. even enemies can show respect, cheers.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

1996-2006 Ray Lewis: Easily one of the best to ever play. No question.

2007-Present Ray Lewis: Pompous Pilejumper who is still a decent player, but nowhere near the best. Barks more than bites.

Funny how it was around the latter part was when Ray started running his mouth a lot more often about how great he is. But his early years are still quite fantastic and easily makes in a shoo-in for the HOF.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Ray Lewis must be the best football player in the world, right?
Hardly. Lewis, who was the MVP of that Super Bowl in 2001, is retiring after this season, and you can argue it's a year or two late. He still racks up a bunch of tackles, but that's a lousy way to gauge a defensive player's effectiveness. He's a step or three slow and tends to drift in pass coverage. He's more an emotional leader than a defensive standout anymore. But mostly: He's a relentless self-promoter. He has perfected the art of getting cameras on him at all times, from every possible angle.

Didn't he kill a guy?
He was never convicted. He is the only person to be charged in the murder of Richard Loller in January 2000, but with obstruction of justice. Lewis isn't particularly fond of discussing the case, but note that the victim's family feels otherwise. Lewis, of course, has turned the crime into his own redemption narrative, the story of his journey to self-discovery.

Man, Ray Lewis is a dick.
He really is
. Oh, and don't ask him about deer-antler spray.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...rimer-faq.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote