Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,499 Times in 550 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Thumbs up Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

Here are John Elway's career statistics split between his first 10 seasons in the NFL and his last six...

1983-1992

2,375/4,339, 30,216 yards, 158 TD, 157 INT

54.7% completion
212.8 yards per game
7.0 yards per attempt

3.6% TD
3.6% INT
1.01 TD/INT ratio

331 sacks
7.1% sack

73.8 rating

1993-1998

1,748/2,911, 21,259 yards, 142 TD, 69 INT

60.0% completion
238.9 yards per game
7.3 yards per attempt

4.9% TD
2.4% INT
2.06 TD/INT ratio

185 sacks
6.0% sack

88.9 rating

And here's Elway's injury history...

1983: Injured during the fifth game, did not play the next four games

1984: Injured during the first game, active but did not start the next game

1986: Injured during the third game, started the next game

1987: Injured during the second game, did not play the next three games

1990: Injured during the eighth game, started the next game

1992: Injured during the 10th game, did not play the next four games

1994: Injured during the 13th game, did not play the next game; injured during the 15th game, did not play the next game

1995: Injured during the 10th game, started the next game

1998: Injured during the third game, did not play the next two games; injured during the ninth game, did not play the next game

John Elway had moments of greatness during his first 10 years in the NFL, but was not the most consistent QB. He had plenty of good games with some great games embedded therein, but every now and then he'd have some bad games too, and his bad games were terrible. He also had a lengthy injury history, and people said he took too many sacks. Does this all sound familiar? It should.

If Bronco fans were like Steeler fans, then many of them would have started calling Elway "dumb" by 1990, claiming that he's not "cerebral" enough to ever be a great QB, and asking why he couldn't be more like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman or Jim Kelly. Other fans would have lamented the decline of the Broncos by pointing to Elway's injury history, claiming that he was on the downside of his career, and that his best days were in the past. Some would even go so far as to suggest trading him away.

Of course, as we all know, Elway's best days were yet to come, and he became a better and more consistent QB during his last six seasons in the league than he was during his first 10 seasons. The Broncos gave him a stellar offensive line and an excellent running game, which brought out the best in him. Nobody tried to discredit him for having such a good supporting cast either, nor did anybody question his greatness despite a poor stat line when he finally won his first Super Bowl.

We're blessed to have our John Elway now. His name is Ben Roethlisberger, and he needs to be given more respect. If Elway and the Broncos weren't done by 1992, then Roethlisberger and the Steelers sure as hell aren't done now. And if Elway was a great QB, then goddamn it; Roethlisberger is a great QB too.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-05-2013), maddog78 (02-07-2013), stairway27 (02-05-2013), teegre (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

Didn't the Broncos draft Tommy Maddox in 1992 with him to be Elway's successor? Anyhow, not arguing with your point, we're fortunate to have Ben and I do think it's possible that he has another SB win or maybe even two in him. You don't know what you have until you've lost it and we'd discover that immediately if we lost Ben. I would not be opposed to signing a young backup for him though.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,836 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here are John Elway's career statistics split between his first 10 seasons in the NFL and his last six...

1983-1992

2,375/4,339, 30,216 yards, 158 TD, 157 INT

54.7% completion
212.8 yards per game
7.0 yards per attempt

3.6% TD
3.6% INT
1.01 TD/INT ratio

331 sacks
7.1% sack

73.8 rating

1993-1998

1,748/2,911, 21,259 yards, 142 TD, 69 INT

60.0% completion
238.9 yards per game
7.3 yards per attempt

4.9% TD
2.4% INT
2.06 TD/INT ratio

185 sacks
6.0% sack

88.9 rating

And here's Elway's injury history...

1983: Injured during the fifth game, did not play the next four games

1984: Injured during the first game, active but did not start the next game

1986: Injured during the third game, started the next game

1987: Injured during the second game, did not play the next three games

1990: Injured during the eighth game, started the next game

1992: Injured during the 10th game, did not play the next four games

1994: Injured during the 13th game, did not play the next game; injured during the 15th game, did not play the next game

1995: Injured during the 10th game, started the next game

1998: Injured during the third game, did not play the next two games; injured during the ninth game, did not play the next game

John Elway had moments of greatness during his first 10 years in the NFL, but was not the most consistent QB. He had plenty of good games with some great games embedded therein, but every now and then he'd have some bad games too, and his bad games were terrible. He also had a lengthy injury history, and people said he took too many sacks. Does this all sound familiar? It should.

If Bronco fans were like Steeler fans, then many of them would have started calling Elway "dumb" by 1990, claiming that he's not "cerebral" enough to ever be a great QB, and asking why he couldn't be more like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman or Jim Kelly. Other fans would have lamented the decline of the Broncos by pointing to Elway's injury history, claiming that he was on the downside of his career, and that his best days were in the past. Some would even go so far as to suggest trading him away.

Of course, as we all know, Elway's best days were yet to come, and he became a better and more consistent QB during his last six seasons in the league than he was during his first 10 seasons. The Broncos gave him a stellar offensive line and an excellent running game, which brought out the best in him. Nobody tried to discredit him for having such a good supporting cast either, nor did anybody question his greatness despite a poor stat line when he finally won his first Super Bowl.

We're blessed to have our John Elway now. His name is Ben Roethlisberger, and he needs to be given more respect. If Elway and the Broncos weren't done by 1992, then Roethlisberger and the Steelers sure as hell aren't done now. And if Elway was a great QB, then goddamn it; Roethlisberger is a great QB too.
Gnutella - THANK YOU x six trajillion. COME ON PEOPLE.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

So he is gonna buy the team?(based soley on the title) OH GOD!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,226 Times in 3,471 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

very well said, thanks for the post. There's no reason for us to start counting down until Roethlisberger's done, or calling him done.

What we need to do is give him better weapons. Wallace/Brown and Dwyer/Redman aren't going to be a supporting cast to win it all.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Gnutella, very interesting post, I like it.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
Didn't the Broncos draft Tommy Maddox in 1992 with him to be Elway's successor? Anyhow, not arguing with your point, we're fortunate to have Ben and I do think it's possible that he has another SB win or maybe even two in him. You don't know what you have until you've lost it and we'd discover that immediately if we lost Ben. I would not be opposed to signing a young backup for him though.
Honestly, the way some of our fan base treat Roethlisberger, I'd rather the Steelers just get some younger veterans to be the backup QBs. You think all the talk about how the Steelers should trade Roethlisberger is stupid? Drafting a young QB will do nothing but kick that ignorant shit into overdrive, and then we'll have a bunch of fucking morons clamoring for the young guy the next time Roethlisberger throws two INTs in a game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
stairway27 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Honestly, the way some of our fan base treat Roethlisberger, I'd rather the Steelers just get some younger veterans to be the backup QBs. You think all the talk about how the Steelers should trade Roethlisberger is stupid? Drafting a young QB will do nothing but kick that ignorant shit into overdrive, and then we'll have a bunch of fucking morons clamoring for the young guy the next time Roethlisberger throws two INTs in a game.
Younger vet is what I mean by younger guy. Didn't say I wanted to draft someone. Someone who fits what Batch was when we first got him in 2002. Someone who knows he's not a starter but can play in a pinch ya know?
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
What we need to do is give him better weapons. Wallace/Brown and Dwyer/Redman aren't going to be a supporting cast to win it all.
Ben Roethlisberger has had the worst weapons of any top-tier QB in the NFL in the last five years. The offensive line and RBs have been mediocre if not downright bad, and the WRs have been overrated. Heath Miller and Maurkice Pouncey have literally been the only other players on offense who have been consistently good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
maddog78 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,836 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
and if you think 8-8 is bad people, having to endure another O'Donnel/Tomczak/Stewart/Maddox era will make me go full on barf mode. For the love of God, remember 5-3 and the Giants game. If we get supporting cast to produce at that level, we are untouchable, i.e. steamrolling the AFC to the tune of the late 90s Broncos.

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF BEN HATERS. The man's got some stuff left, some real championship quality potential left in him. Cool it.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote