Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: What a victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Your entire opening post is idiotic outside of Reed being one of the greatest Safeties in NFL history and your Randy Moss comment.

So I guess we have something in common ;) Get back in your carseat, we still own you in the playoffs. ;)

Oh and I NEVER said anything about Ben being an upstanding role model.
Dude, the guy who made the Reed comment and this guy aren't the same guy.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Is there anything lamer than acting like your victory was divinely inspired? I mean shit. I hate the Ravens but they earned that Super Bowl and that's more than many Ravens fans could say after SBXL about the Steelers. Another thing, Ravens fans need to stop using 1996 as a starting point. Your team wasn't an expansion team. You were moved in to Baltimore from Cleveland. I know the Browns 2.0 have the history and records but please stop acting like 1996 is the starting point of this because it's just revisionist nonsense.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
Dude, the guy who made the Reed comment and this guy aren't the same guy.

Lol at me. That makes more sense.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Lol at me. That makes more sense.
Heh. Shit happens.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #25
charlesk
Banned

Member Number: 24477

So by that definition the Ravens won 4 championships back before 1969. The superbowl era was not the start of the modern league championship. During the SB run there were three players that were still on the Ravens team that had played for the Browns. Three, one of them being the kicker (Stover). No coaches, no management. All different. Sounds like a total reboot. Other people claim the Ravens legacy should be that of the Baltimore Colts before they moved. If that was the case then they hold 4 championships as well. We are all comparing apples to oranges here. Even early Superbowls are in a different category than these are now. Back in the 70's when the Steelers and the Dolphins were dominating you stayed with the team you started with. There was no free agency. Into the 80's and even the early 90's you could expect problems if you wanted to switch teams. Some collusion between the owners is my thought on that, much like Baseball in the 80's. So a dynasty was much easier to build and keep together back then. And love or hate (don't care I wasn't alive yet) the 70's Steelers were a dynasty. However the NFL today is one of far greater parity and the era of free agency (and salary cap) has forever changed the game. In the current NFL it is far harder to win on a consistent basis than ever before. In the current era the number of SB's for the AFC North is 4; two for the Ravens and two for the Steelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
Is there anything lamer than acting like your victory was divinely inspired? I mean shit. I hate the Ravens but they earned that Super Bowl and that's more than many Ravens fans could say after SBXL about the Steelers. Another thing, Ravens fans need to stop using 1996 as a starting point. Your team wasn't an expansion team. You were moved in to Baltimore from Cleveland. I know the Browns 2.0 have the history and records but please stop acting like 1996 is the starting point of this because it's just revisionist nonsense.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
In the current era the number of SB's for the AFC North is 4; two for the Ravens and two for the Steelers.
Good, so you can quit acting like our annoying little brother.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

[QUOTE=charlesk;1083332]So by that definition the Ravens won 4 championships back before 1969. The superbowl era was not the start of the modern league championship. During the SB run there were three players that were still on the Ravens team that had played for the Browns. Three, one of them being the kicker (Stover). No coaches, no management. All different. Sounds like a total reboot. Other people claim the Ravens legacy should be that of the Baltimore Colts before they moved. If that was the case then they hold 4 championships as well. We are all comparing apples to oranges here. Even early Superbowls are in a different category than these are now. Back in the 70's when the Steelers and the Dolphins were dominating you stayed with the team you started with. There was no free agency. Into the 80's and even the early 90's you could expect problems if you wanted to switch teams. Some collusion between the owners is my thought on that, much like Baseball in the 80's. So a dynasty was much easier to build and keep together back then. And love or hate (don't care I wasn't alive yet) the 70's Steelers were a dynasty. However the NFL today is one of far greater parity and the era of free agency (and salary cap) has forever changed the game. In the current NFL it is far harder to win on a consistent basis than ever before. In the current era the number of SB's for the AFC North is 4; two for the Ravens and two for the Steelers.[/QUOTE
I actually don't disagree with you on a lot of these points. It's complicated though because as you say, some will claim the old Browns records and some will claim the Baltimore Colts. I just feel you can't act like the Baltimore Ravens in 1996 were an expansion team and ignore that you were moved in from Cleveland. Yes the management and coaches were different when you won your first SB but then again, that's what happens when a team is built form the ground up from a rebuilding team which is what the Ravens did pretty much as soon as they started in B-more. That's all. SImple as that. The Ravens are a successful team and deserve credit for their win on Sunday night but I don't like the revising to suit an agenda. It would be like if Steelers fans wanted to wipe out or dismiss the team's shitty record from 1933-1971.

Last edited by GMU Steeler; 02-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Did he really just compare Ray Lewis to Joseph and the coat of many colors?

I guess that makes Big Ben Moses.
Troy Polamalu can be King Josiah.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
Troy Polamalu can be King Josiah.
Keisel can be Samson?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #30
charlesk
Banned

Member Number: 24477

The free agency issue in the NFL now (pluses and minuses to it) has totally changed everything. This pains me to say but that is why I think the three in four years for the Pats nine years ago or so was incredible (I don't hate them like some people but I do think they run up the score on a lot of people and BB has a real nasty disposition and Brady is a whiner). Tough to see that happening again in the near future.

[QUOTE=GMU Steeler;1083336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
So by that definition the Ravens won 4 championships back before 1969. The superbowl era was not the start of the modern league championship. During the SB run there were three players that were still on the Ravens team that had played for the Browns. Three, one of them being the kicker (Stover). No coaches, no management. All different. Sounds like a total reboot. Other people claim the Ravens legacy should be that of the Baltimore Colts before they moved. If that was the case then they hold 4 championships as well. We are all comparing apples to oranges here. Even early Superbowls are in a different category than these are now. Back in the 70's when the Steelers and the Dolphins were dominating you stayed with the team you started with. There was no free agency. Into the 80's and even the early 90's you could expect problems if you wanted to switch teams. Some collusion between the owners is my thought on that, much like Baseball in the 80's. So a dynasty was much easier to build and keep together back then. And love or hate (don't care I wasn't alive yet) the 70's Steelers were a dynasty. However the NFL today is one of far greater parity and the era of free agency (and salary cap) has forever changed the game. In the current NFL it is far harder to win on a consistent basis than ever before. In the current era the number of SB's for the AFC North is 4; two for the Ravens and two for the Steelers.[/QUOTE
I actually don't disagree with you on a lot of these points. It's complicated though because as you say, some will claim the old Browns records and some will claim the Baltimore Colts. I just feel you can't act like the Baltimore Ravens in 1996 were an expansion team and ignore that you were moved in from Cleveland. Yes the management and coaches were different when you won your first SB but then again, that's what happens when a team is built form the ground up from a rebuilding team which is what the Ravens did pretty much as soon as they started in B-more. That's all. SImple as that. The Ravens are a successful team and deserve credit for their win on Sunday night but I don't like the revising to suit an agenda. It would be like if Steelers fans wanted to wipe out or dismiss the team's shitty record from 1933-1971.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote