Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
xbroughneck
Team Captain
 
xbroughneck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 749
Member Number: 5743
Thanks: 2
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts
Default Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Antonio Brown is not a #1 receiver. He's a good #2.

Mike Wallace is not a #1 receiver.

And since Ben isn't a quick read/react quarterback he's going to need a #1 receiver that
1) has decent size
2) runs good routes
3) catches the ball with his hands consistently
4) can BLOCK occassionally
5) has above average speed


Blocking isn't a requirement , but the other 4 things are. So who can the Steelers get to be their Anquan Boldin, or their Santonio Holmes? Ben needs a #1 receiver.
__________________
Rebuilding the defense. It's going to be a long process.
xbroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
wwhickok
Starter
 
wwhickok's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 426
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24713
Thanks: 9
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Im not going to lie...I could honestly see Holmes ending up back in Pittsburgh. I could also see Burress getting resigned.

I think Holmes might have realized like others have, the grass is not always greener.
__________________
The Stong Conquer the Weak, The Mighty Make the Rules -- self-written.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 797
Member Number: 19049
Thanks: 444
Thanked 546 Times in 288 Posts
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
Antonio Brown is not a #1 receiver. He's a good #2.

Mike Wallace is not a #1 receiver.

And since Ben isn't a quick read/react quarterback he's going to need a #1 receiver that
1) has decent size
2) runs good routes
3) catches the ball with his hands consistently
4) can BLOCK occassionally
5) has above average speed


Blocking isn't a requirement , but the other 4 things are. So who can the Steelers get to be their Anquan Boldin, or their Santonio Holmes? Ben needs a #1 receiver.
Randy Moss, because he is, "The greatest receiver to ever play the game."
JeromeBetties63 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
WVABE (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
xbroughneck
Team Captain
 
xbroughneck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 749
Member Number: 5743
Thanks: 2
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Dwayne Bowe is a free agent, has good size, speed and playmaking ability and he'd probably be Ben's #2 target next season.

Would you rather the Steelers use up a draft pick on a wide out, or give Bowe a five year deal? I think he would provide an immediate impact. Much more than a rookie would.


That way the draft could be spent fixing the defense.
__________________
Rebuilding the defense. It's going to be a long process.
xbroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner
 
Steel_Bus_24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,804
Member Number: 2886
Thanks: 298
Thanked 1,143 Times in 560 Posts
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
Dwayne Bowe is a free agent, has good size, speed and playmaking ability and he'd probably be Ben's #2 target next season.

Would you rather the Steelers use up a draft pick on a wide out, or give Bowe a five year deal? I think he would provide an immediate impact. Much more than a rookie would.


That way the draft could be spent fixing the defense.
how much is he looking for??
__________________

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 7,766
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 60,127
Thanked 10,283 Times in 4,128 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go after somebody who has proven themselves. At this point in Ben's career I don't know if they want to wait to develop a #1 reciever
__________________
If I ever get mad and leave the forum I'm going to make the best meltdown thread ever. there's gonna be beavers, and tyrannosaurus's and donuts and the cookie monster and everything
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
wwhickok
Starter
 
wwhickok's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 426
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24713
Thanks: 9
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Is there any 'non-glaring' WR FA's this season that Pitt might look at?
__________________
The Stong Conquer the Weak, The Mighty Make the Rules -- self-written.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,760
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,937
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go after somebody who has proven themselves. At this point in Ben's career I don't know if they want to wait to develop a #1 reciever
sounds like an idea that could pay off over the next few seasons, ala Ravens' pickup of Boldin. I would cry like a little girl if we got someone like Bowe.
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
GMU Steeler
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,041
Member Number: 16173
Thanks: 47
Thanked 921 Times in 485 Posts
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
sounds like an idea that could pay off over the next few seasons, ala Ravens' pickup of Boldin. I would cry like a little girl if we got someone like Bowe.
I forget and not that it matters but did the Ravens sign or trade for him. I agree. That was a smart move on Newsome's part. Boldin hasn't been a star with the Ravens but he seems to be always there with a big catch. Same thing with Jacoby Jones.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,760
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,937
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
I forget and not that it matters but did the Ravens sign or trade for him. I agree. That was a smart move on Newsome's part. Boldin hasn't been a star with the Ravens but he seems to be always there with a big catch. Same thing with Jacoby Jones.
traded for 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick

I wouldn't be willing to give up that many middle rounds - but, Wallace and a 4th and 5th - you betcha
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts