Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #61
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,995
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 49,672
Thanked 8,304 Times in 3,504 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Why does this matter at all? He's a stupid kid who was forced to answer a shit load of questions on media day by reporters that were looking for a sound bite. They got it. Like it matters if he actually believes it or not. Real leaders on the team are going to make sure that mentality isn't used against any players.
why does it matter that a player wants others excluded just for who they are? And saying it so close to Jackie Robinson's birthday too.

How can you not see how much this matters?
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #62
jacobo
Team Captain
 
jacobo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 980
Member Number: 24766
Thanks: 676
Thanked 585 Times in 298 Posts
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
why does it matter that a player wants others excluded just for who they are? And saying it so close to Jackie Robinson's birthday too.

How can you not see how much this matters?
Because he's a nobody who wasn't prepared for the situation and was speaking from the cuff. Nobody's going to care about his opinion. I read a great interview like a week ago with Wade Davis

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...gay-lives.html

"He's there to do a job, I'm here to do a job, it's not talked about, he's my brother, he doesn't treat me any different than anyone else does."

Sexuality means nothing at that level of sports
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #63
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,995
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 49,672
Thanked 8,304 Times in 3,504 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Because he's a nobody who wasn't prepared for the situation and was speaking from the cuff. Nobody's going to care about his opinion. I read a great interview like a week ago with Wade Davis

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...gay-lives.html

"He's there to do a job, I'm here to do a job, it's not talked about, he's my brother, he doesn't treat me any different than anyone else does."

Sexuality means nothing at that level of sports
so because he doesn't have a big name and was speaking without thinking ahead, nobody care's about his opinion? That argument doesn't make sense to me. This story has been pretty big, some people obviously care about what he said.

I don't know how you can read that article you put up and think it doesn't matter that a player has said that a gay player wouldn't be welcome to him.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #64
jacobo
Team Captain
 
jacobo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 980
Member Number: 24766
Thanks: 676
Thanked 585 Times in 298 Posts
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
so because he doesn't have a big name and was speaking without thinking ahead, nobody care's about his opinion? That argument doesn't make sense to me. This story has been pretty big, some people obviously care about what he said.

I don't know how you can read that article you put up and think it doesn't matter that a player has said that a gay player wouldn't be welcome to him.
The media seemingly only covered this and the Lewis antler stuff during the entire week. Of course it's going to be big if they make it big. It really shouldn't matter

Davis said that the only reason he (speaking for gay players) don't come out to everyone (read: the media) is because they don't want to have that conversation. It's more of a social issue than football. He made it clear the players in the locker room know about his sexuality but don't care. That's all that matters at that point. Coming out to everyone would help the gay rights movement, but it doesn't matter in terms of team dynamic, and that's what this conversation's about.

The dude seems remorseful for what he said and leaders on the team are helping him get over this blunder. I don't like this story at all and think it shouldn't be getting coverage
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #65
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,995
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 49,672
Thanked 8,304 Times in 3,504 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
The media seemingly only covered this and the Lewis antler stuff during the entire week. Of course it's going to be big if they make it big. It really shouldn't matter

Davis said that the only reason he (speaking for gay players) don't come out to everyone (read: the media) is because they don't want to have that conversation. It's more of a social issue than football. He made it clear the players in the locker room know about his sexuality but don't care. That's all that matters at that point. Coming out to everyone would help the gay rights movement, but it doesn't matter in terms of team dynamic, and that's what this conversation's about.

The dude seems remorseful for what he said and leaders on the team are helping him get over this blunder. I don't like this story at all and think it shouldn't be getting coverage
It really shouldn't matter? Why not? The article you've brought up argues that people should be able to be accepted even if they are gay. This Culliver's come out and said that gay people wouldn't be welcome on his team, they should just get out. That doesn't help the team dynamic. The article you've brought up also brings up why it would be good for ppl to be able to be openely gay, and that this issue is about helping the gay community, not just team dynamics.

This player doesn't seem remorseful, but he's now just saying what they want him to say.

You don't like the story and don't think it should get coverage? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It really does matter, and it's important for people to understand that what Culliver said is unacceptable. It's bigotry.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #66
jacobo
Team Captain
 
jacobo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 980
Member Number: 24766
Thanks: 676
Thanked 585 Times in 298 Posts
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

You want to talk about social issues at large? Fine, he's wrong in that regard. But this isn't about that. It's about the team. That's all this is about. That's what he said. They wouldn't be welcomed on the team. So bringing up the gay community is moot.

"Player doesn't seem remorseful", that's totally speculation. What makes what you said about him just satisfying what the front office wants to hear any more valid than me saying he was just caught up in the moment and was caught offguard with gotcha journalism?

"and it's important for people to understand that what Culliver said is unacceptable. It's bigotry" Nobody's denying he was wrong with what he said. But in the context of team dynamic (which is what this question was about), it doesn't matter. A gay player in the league who experienced it firsthand said it doesn't matter. He knows other gay players and presumably it doesn't matter for them. People on the team don't care about the type of stuff that Culliver said. Look at how Vernon Davis reacted. He wanted to help him understand why what he said was bad. That's what leaders on the teams do when stupid shit like this is said. It gets corrected without any need of media coverage. If strong leaders like him police the locker room and get rid of this way of thinking then gay players obviously are welcomed on the team.
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #67
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,995
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 49,672
Thanked 8,304 Times in 3,504 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
You want to talk about social issues at large? Fine, he's wrong in that regard. But this isn't about that. It's about the team. That's all this is about. That's what he said. They wouldn't be welcomed on the team. So bringing up the gay community is moot.
He's wrong in every regard. It is about the social issues too. Not just about the team dynamic. Bringing up the gay community isn't moot.

What he said is terrible and it's a big story because of it. If you don't like it, I don't know what to tell you other than help make it unacceptable for others to say similarly stupid things. That way you will be relieved of hearing about a story like this again.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #68
jacobo
Team Captain
 
jacobo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 980
Member Number: 24766
Thanks: 676
Thanked 585 Times in 298 Posts
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Everyone else is the one making it about society lol. He was speaking in the context of the team and a gay player possibly being on the team. He didn't say they should die, or get out of the country, all he said was he didn't want a gay person on the team. People like Wade Davis and Vernon Davis made it clear that that kind of thinking doesn't exist at large, or even when it does it quickly gets taken care of. Self policing

"it's a big story because of it." There are thousands of "big" stories happening every day that never get the amount of coverage that this has gotten. Way more important than this. What's the difference between the two? It was a slow week for the biggest show in the country and ESPN and the NFL needed something to fill their schedule. It's big because they made it big. Nothing more. Wade Davis came out of the closet about a month ago and I didn't hear shit about it on their network. That dude who stabbed his boyfriend who used to be a tackle for the Raiders didn't really get any coverage either. Why did this get coverage? Superbowl week and a slow week in news. You can only talk about the Harbaughs and Ray Lewis so much.
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #69
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,614
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 613
Thanked 4,763 Times in 2,393 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Everyone else is the one making it about society lol. He was speaking in the context of the team and a gay player possibly being on the team. He didn't say they should die, or get out of the country, all he said was he didn't want a gay person on the team. People like Wade Davis and Vernon Davis made it clear that that kind of thinking doesn't exist at large, or even when it does it quickly gets taken care of. Self policing

"it's a big story because of it." There are thousands of "big" stories happening every day that never get the amount of coverage that this has gotten. Way more important than this. What's the difference between the two? It was a slow week for the biggest show in the country and ESPN and the NFL needed something to fill their schedule. It's big because they made it big. Nothing more. Wade Davis came out of the closet about a month ago and I didn't hear shit about it on their network. That dude who stabbed his boyfriend who used to be a tackle for the Raiders didn't really get any coverage either. Why did this get coverage? Superbowl week and a slow week in news. You can only talk about the Harbaughs and Ray Lewis so much.
He was wrong about the team as the team made clear. He had no right to speak for anyone but himself. As for that, by his words he is known.

But the issue of an openly gay player on a team has been a news topic all year. Did you miss those stories? Of course this got ink.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #70
aa14
Draft Prospect
 
aa14's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 132
Member Number: 24529
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Everyone else is the one making it about society lol. He was speaking in the context of the team and a gay player possibly being on the team. He didn't say they should die, or get out of the country, all he said was he didn't want a gay person on the team. People like Wade Davis and Vernon Davis made it clear that that kind of thinking doesn't exist at large, or even when it does it quickly gets taken care of. Self policing
"Self policing" sexuality in any other profession is called discrimination. It's universal discrimination. Just because some myopic dweeb thinks it doesn't apply to the locker room is irrelevant.
aa14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts