Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,415 Times in 512 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Thumbs up Cosell Talks: Re-Examining Roethlisberger

Greg Cosell has made a career of watching and analyzing NFL game film for over 30 years. His opinion is very credible and respected. He really knows what he's talking about. Last summer he wrote an article about Ben Roethlisberger. You can read the whole article if you want, but I'll give you a few snippets in case you're afraid of what you'll read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cosell, NFL Films analyst
Roethlisberger’s win-loss mark is extraordinary. He has prevailed in almost 71 percent of his regular season starts. His playoff record is 10-4, with two Super Bowl titles. Yet I would submit that few quarterbacks have shown as much improvement over the course of their careers as Roethlisberger. It’s easy to overlook that because of his early success.

Quote:
In January 2009, Roethlisberger was not very good before the snap. One of the reasons he moved as often as he did was his inconsistency in recognizing blitz concepts at the line of scrimmage. He was still processing information, trying to decipher the defense during his drop into the pocket. You cannot be controlled, decisive and precise as a quarterback playing that way. It was the singular reason Roethlisberger had such a strong tendency to play sandlot football.

The best way to portray Roethlisberger at that point in his career was this: When his pre-snap read was correct, he was outstanding, delivering with rhythm, timing and accuracy. When the picture was a little cloudy and muddied, his predisposition was to rely on his instincts. Roethlisberger was more of a reactionary quarterback, responding to (and countering) the defense after the snap with his strength, exceptional movement ability and extraordinary downfield vision on the run.

Gradually over time, Roethlisberger has gotten better and better. He’s more aware before the snap of the ball, and he’s more disciplined in the pocket. While he still has the ability to impress with his idiosyncratic combination of physicality and movement, his game is now less arbitrary, less random, more structured, and therefore more consistent. This is rarely acknowledged, however, because there has been no clear quantifiable means by which to measure the progress.

Quote:
One part of Roethlisberger’s improvement for which he does not get enough credit is his ability to make throws consistently from the pocket. It sounds strange to say that, because that’s the essence of NFL quarterbacking: delivering from the pocket. Yet the continued emphasis on his distinctive style has led many to disregard his pocket passing. I charted all 60 of Roethlisberger’s pass plays of 20 yards or more in 2011. Only five of them came outside the pocket. Time and again, Roethlisberger exhibited one of the most essential attributes necessary to play at a consistently high level: the ability to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver the ball with accuracy. That’s an element of his play that often gets overlooked. It shouldn’t.

Quote:
In his early years, Roethlisberger was an instinctive, intuitive player who was special at times, but who had sandlot tendencies that limited his consistency. Now, after eight years as the Steelers’ starter, he’s a far more mature, disciplined quarterback. That will only lengthen his career. Will we continue to see those signature plays that have defined his career? Certainly. But my guess is we’ll see fewer of them, because he’s a better overall player.

So who do you trust to make an accurate assessment of a QB, a game film analyst of 33 years, or a bunch of yinzers?
Gnutella is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (02-07-2013), harrison'samonster (02-07-2013), stiller39 (02-07-2013), teegre (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Cosell Talks: Re-Examining Roethlisberger

Really insightful piece there... Roethlisberger is a better quarterback now than he was eight years ago. Who knew?

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Millers the sh!t (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Really insightful piece there... Roethlisberger is a better quarterback now than he was eight years ago. Who knew?
Yeah, now tell that to the some of the members on here hoping for his trade/release.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,415 Times in 512 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
The idiots who claim he hasn't made any progress over the course of his career sure as hell didn't know. It's part of what makes them idiots.
Gnutella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The idiots who claim he hasn't made any progress over the course of his career sure as hell didn't know. It's part of what makes them idiots.
No, they forget about it and want him off the roster whenever we miss the playoffs. Trust me, it happens EVERY TIME we fail to win the big game, and it's usually the same people bitching about the same shit, and as soon as we win it all, they're calling Ben the greatest QB of all-time.

People act like Ben doesn't receive criticism and that every player deserves it, when in reality, if we fall short of the big game, ALL Ben EVER gets is knee-jerk reactions and criticism as well as other big name players on the Steelers.

Why? Because it's easier to get a rise out of someone about a big name player than it is for a player no one gives a shit about. It's not called a long offseason on forums for nothing, and all you can do is patiently wait for the next season to start.

All of the bullshit will calm around draft time.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
All of the bullshit will calm around draft time.
Yeah let's talk about the draft. So... which quarterback should the Steelers draft in the first round?

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah let's talk about the draft. So... which quarterback should the Steelers draft in the first round?
We should trade Ben away for the Brown 2nd round pick.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
None, we are gonna trade our 1st, 2nd, and 2014 1st2nd and of course the oh so terrible Ben Roethlisberger for Brandon Weeden........
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,965 Times in 7,589 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Cosell is great. I posted a thread, where he discussed Haley's offense, and how it was working (BB was looking great/improved) until the O-line got decimated by injuries.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=Cosell
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Gnutella (02-08-2013), stiller39 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,645 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.