Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,996 Times in 4,562 Posts
Default Re: My First 'Official' Mock of 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I hope they don't pick him ... another DE turned OLB that can't really drop back in coverage ... but this would be a Steelers pick
He's a 6'4 245 lbs. DE. In other words, he's not really a DE. Even in a 4-3 scheme he'd have to bulk up considerably to play on anything but special teams. One of the biggest selling points of Corey is how fast and agile he is, but you're saying he isn't great in coverage? Something isn't adding up here. Here's Miller's take on him and I do like the Cliff Avril comparison as well.

SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He's a 6'4 245 lbs. DE. In other words, he's not really a DE. Even in a 4-3 scheme he'd have to bulk up considerably to play on anything but special teams. One of the biggest selling points of Corey is how fast and agile he is, but you're saying he isn't great in coverage? Something isn't adding up here. Here's Miller's take on him and I do like the Cliff Avril comparison as well.

I see somebody with good Pass Rushing potential ... do I see somebody able to play in space real well? No not really.... I think playing with Woodley on the other side could help his game, as he has a good speed rush and a decent amount of moves... While watching his games via Youtube I see he gets by the tackle but the QB just rolls to the other side and nobody is there, not with us Woodley would be there

Still a little worried about being able to play in space, but he has potential to be a good Pass Rusher

at 17, No ... 2nd round, depends on who's on the board ... 3rd ok...
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,728 Times in 9,302 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but apparently Lemonier is shooting up draft boards. I'd be willing to bet the Steelers have their eye on this kid. I'll come right out and admit it - I was dead wrong about this kid. I'll have to go reevaluate but Matt is a reliable and often times right on the money source.
Hmmm... I saw him as a possible pick in R2, but more than likely, he was going to go early in R2 (33-35ish). And, that still seems right to me. In other words, I would not take him at 17.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I hope they don't pick him ... another DE turned OLB that can't really drop back in coverage ... but this would be a Steelers pick
If you like DE turned OLB that can drop back in coverage, may I ask why don't you like Dion Jordan?
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
If you like DE turned OLB that can drop back in coverage, may I ask why don't you like Dion Jordan?
I don't hate Dion Jordan ... But the best thing about him is his ability to cover
people on here act like he's going to come in and fix the pass rush from day 1, and I just don't see that, When I watch him I don't see nothing but a speed rush, and I don't think that'll work in the NFL ...

I don't think he's a good scheme fit for us ... Just my opinion

I think his best position is 4-3 OLB ... Were he could utilize his coverage abaillity and his height dropping back in zone and making the QB have no space between him and the Safety ... and limited Pass rushing skills ... but that's just me

If I'm the Bucs and he's sitting there at 13 , I would gladely take him , Since the DB Class is so strong this year ... Why not snatch up your next OLB and he's a 3 down LB with his length to cover these TEs and Height to take away room between ... Him and Lavonte David would be a good OLB Tandem for that cover 2
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,996 Times in 4,562 Posts

I was talking to my buddy who is a huge 'Bama and Giants fan and he said something that I thought was pretty interesting. We were talking about how the Steelers weren't able to run the ball effectively at all and that put unnecessary pressure and ultimately, unnecessary hits on Roethlisberger. His answer?

"Draft Warmack in the first and Lacy in the second. Not only does that solve the running deficiency, it gives Roethlisberger the best interior line the NFL. With Warmack, Pouncey and DeCastro as the starting interior, you guys are set for a decade on the offensive line."

At first I was going to say we have more pressing needs than an OLinemen, but he made some pretty good and intriguing points. If we did have the chance to grab Warmack in the first and Eddie in the second, I think those two together, combined with Pouncey and DeCastro would ultimately solve our running problem and our pass protection problem. It's a very interesting alley to go down, that's forsure.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
I was talking to my buddy who is a huge 'Bama and Giants fan and he said something that I thought was pretty interesting. We were talking about how the Steelers weren't able to run the ball effectively at all and that put unnecessary pressure and ultimately, unnecessary hits on Roethlisberger. His answer?

"Draft Warmack in the first and Lacy in the second. Not only does that solve the running deficiency, it gives Roethlisberger the best interior line the NFL. With Warmack, Pouncey and DeCastro as the starting interior, you guys are set for a decade on the offensive line."

At first I was going to say we have more pressing needs than an OLinemen, but he made some pretty good and intriguing points. If we did have the chance to grab Warmack in the first and Eddie in the second, I think those two together, combined with Pouncey and DeCastro would ultimately solve our running problem and our pass protection problem. It's a very interesting alley to go down, that's forsure.
Yeah there's been discussions about that on here as well. It would be a great combo but I don't see it happening for two reason.

If you draft warmack in the first then 4 years down the line you would haven3 maybe 4 olineman that will either have a big contract or are due one. Pounces, dd, warmack, and maybe Adams. That's just to much money spread on the oline in my opinion. Now If you realize the fact that keeping all those guys isn't a strong possibility but want to give Ben the best team in the next 4 years to try and win superbowls while Ben is here then maybe.

And second I highly doubt lacy lasts till our pick in the second. If he runs a decent 40 at the combine which I think he will he's stock will be on the rise again. Teams like the packers or falcons could maybe take him in the back end of first. And I don't see him getting by the jets, dolphins, titans, rams in the second.

So drafting those two would be great but that's a lot of money on the oline in a few years, and lacy wont be there in the second.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

SteelersCanada,
I concur. I was saying the same thing in the main threads: Warmack gives the team the best O-line in football. Not good, not great, the BEST.

An,d as I was saying there, the two SuperBowl teams got there, and the Ravens won because of their O-LINES.

WokeupwithaWoodley,
Here is the thing:
1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think.

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

Oh, and no matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
SteelersCanada,
I concur. I was saying the same thing in the main threads: Warmack gives the team the best O-line in football. Not good, not great, the BEST.

An,d as I was saying there, the two SuperBowl teams got there, and the Ravens won because of their O-LINES.

WokeupwithaWoodley,
Here is the thing:
1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think.

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

Oh, and no matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.
What I'm saying is that's so much money focused on one area of the team. We already have a young talented line no need to add another in first where we have many more glaring needs.

It is a bad idea to have 5 probowl lineman on the team because it leaves you short handed at other positions, key positions like linebackers, d line, corners, safeties, wr. If you pay a lot on oline the talent on those other positions diminish because you don't have to money to pay and retain talent.

Teams do invest in rb and wr but only one rb and two wr. That's only 3 positions compared to 4 or 5 oline. And the defense has been just or even more important to winning superbowls.

Top center in the league is making 5.5mil. Pouncey will want that probably more like 6, being to probowls and being regarded as the best center. Top guard gets 7.2, dd when all is said and done should have a value of at least 6 mil, adding another potential great guard in warmack add another 6 mil down the line. Top 10 tackles get at the very least 5.5mil, so having just one in either Adams or Gilbert add 5mil and 3 for the other. That's a total of 26mil spent on the oline roughly.

Leaving the team with about 96 mil left for the other 48 men on the roster. Also you take in account bens 10-12mil a year your left with approx 86 mil for 47 players with 16 starters left. So your figure out of the 53, 31 don't start so let's say they account for around 22mil you have 64mil left for your other 16 starters which is a average of 4 mil a player. 4 mil average between your whole defense, wr, rb, te isn't so great, which leaves us to have a very unbalanced team. I do not want that.

And the warmack lacy combo won't be something on the radar come draft time I believe. On the main forum there is talk about our new oline coach running a zbs which worked well in kc. He has stated he wants smaller athletic lineman. Warmack is a big guy might be nimble but not want he's looking for.

Also in kc and in Haley's coaching career they like backs with speed to run outside and not between tackles so much. Lacy might have decent speed but is more suitable to run up the middle.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
What I'm saying is that's so much money focused on one area of the team. We already have a young talented line no need to add another in first where we have many more glaring needs.

It is a bad idea to have 5 probowl lineman on the team because it leaves you short handed at other positions, key positions like linebackers, d line, corners, safeties, wr. If you pay a lot on oline the talent on those other positions diminish because you don't have to money to pay and retain talent.

Teams do invest in rb and wr but only one rb and two wr. That's only 3 positions compared to 4 or 5 oline. And the defense has been just or even more important to winning superbowls.

Top center in the league is making 5.5mil. Pouncey will want that probably more like 6, being to probowls and being regarded as the best center. Top guard gets 7.2, dd when all is said and done should have a value of at least 6 mil, adding another potential great guard in warmack add another 6 mil down the line. Top 10 tackles get at the very least 5.5mil, so having just one in either Adams or Gilbert add 5mil and 3 for the other. That's a total of 26mil spent on the oline roughly.

Leaving the team with about 96 mil left for the other 48 men on the roster. Also you take in account bens 10-12mil a year your left with approx 86 mil for 47 players with 16 starters left. So your figure out of the 53, 31 don't start so let's say they account for around 22mil you have 64mil left for your other 16 starters which is a average of 4 mil a player. 4 mil average between your whole defense, wr, rb, te isn't so great, which leaves us to have a very unbalanced team. I do not want that.

And the warmack lacy combo won't be something on the radar come draft time I believe. On the main forum there is talk about our new oline coach running a zbs which worked well in kc. He has stated he wants smaller athletic lineman. Warmack is a big guy might be nimble but not want he's looking for.

Also in kc and in Haley's coaching career they like backs with speed to run outside and not between tackles so much. Lacy might have decent speed but is more suitable to run up the middle.
Pouncey will be paid now. Gilbert in four years. Adams & DD in three years. (And, Warmack in five years.) That means that the Steelers would not have any "cap issues" (ie having to pay these guys huge contracts) for three more seasons. And then, again, either pay them or draft replacements. But, in the meantime, the Steelers would have the MOST DOMINANT O-line for three years.

(Not advocating for Lacy... just for Warmack.)