Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Our Free Agents- Reality Check

The more I give thought to some of our big free agents the more I think there won't be any action on them to the point where they want to be.

If you look at free agents past, back even to the early days of free agency, how many players left via free agency (not cut but signed away from us) that had equal or better success with their new team?

I think teams will realize that and our free agents, especially with attitiudes may not get the action they want and we may be able to re-sign Mendy, Lewis and Wallace at a decent salary.

The only players who have had success with other teams were YEARS ago:

Hardy Nickerson
Leon Searcy
Chad Brown
Thomas Everett
Brentson Buckner- when he got to Carolina

Any others?

Most have not excelled, like the Randal Els, Mcfaddens, Foote, Haggans, Chris Hope, etc, etc.

If the steelersw dont want them they wont offer or if wallace, lewis and mendy dont want to be here they will sign elsewhere for the same or less as i dont see them getting a ton.

they may come back to us with something to proove at a bargain compared to what they thought they were going to get. Other than Lewis, Wallace and Mendy not only underperformed but showed bad attitudes and childish behavior.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,223 Times in 4,478 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Our Free Agents- Reality Check

I agree with you! Wallace's speed is going to attract some attention I think. Hard to tell what the FO is thinking at this point (are they giving up on Mendy?).

I would disagree on one thing though, Chris Hope had a pretty good career for himself in Tennessee.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,295 Times in 3,477 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

joey porter had a couple of good seasons with miami

always made me sad to see him in a dolphins uniform though, that man was a steeler through and through
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Thought Rod Woodson did pretty well after leaving.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
The more I give thought to some of our big free agents the more I think there won't be any action on them to the point where they want to be.

If you look at free agents past, back even to the early days of free agency, how many players left via free agency (not cut but signed away from us) that had equal or better success with their new team?

I think teams will realize that and our free agents, especially with attitiudes may not get the action they want and we may be able to re-sign Mendy, Lewis and Wallace at a decent salary.

The only players who have had success with other teams were YEARS ago:

Hardy Nickerson
Leon Searcy
Chad Brown
Thomas Everett
Brentson Buckner- when he got to Carolina

Any others?

Most have not excelled, like the Randal Els, Mcfaddens, Foote, Haggans, Chris Hope, etc, etc.

If the steelersw dont want them they wont offer or if wallace, lewis and mendy dont want to be here they will sign elsewhere for the same or less as i dont see them getting a ton.

they may come back to us with something to proove at a bargain compared to what they thought they were going to get. Other than Lewis, Wallace and Mendy not only underperformed but showed bad attitudes and childish behavior.
I have a few guy that played well elsewhere after being cut. Off the top of my head:

Henry Jones ( Buffalo)
Carnel Lake ( Jacksonville)
Rod Woodson, ( Raiders-Baltimore)
Clark Haggans was othis last the Superbowl 49s roster, but spent most of his exile on the Cards
Burress (Jets) did well until he shot himself in the??
Santonio Holmes ( Jets), although not "True" cap casualty like the others as he didn't play out his contract, his upcoming expiring contract was a major factor in his trade.

I'm sure if I think on it I might be able to come up with some more, but general I get your point though.

My guess, for what ever that's worth, is we will keep a core, but it's going to take a while, and more than likely several seasons to rebuild. The sad fact no is we don't have the cap space to land decent free agent talent, and there aren't enough draft picks to fill all of the open roster spots.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
scottcurtis
Banned

Member Number: 24767

Put Wallace on a team with a QB that can get him the ball down field... not over thrown or underthrown constantly and he's a 20td guy. Brady , Payton, Brees ,Luck or Stafford makes Wallace's #'s blow up ! Imagine Megatron and Wallace on the same team !!!! Lights out !
scottcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I have a few guy that played well elsewhere after being cut. Off the top of my head:

Henry Jones ( Buffalo)
Carnel Lake ( Jacksonville)
Rod Woodson, ( Raiders-Baltimore)
Clark Haggans was othis last the Superbowl 49s roster, but spent most of his exile on the Cards
Burress (Jets) did well until he shot himself in the??
Santonio Holmes ( Jets), although not "True" cap casualty like the others as he didn't play out his contract, his upcoming expiring contract was a major factor in his trade.

I'm sure if I think on it I might be able to come up with some more, but general I get your point though.

My guess, for what ever that's worth, is we will keep a core, but it's going to take a while, and more than likely several seasons to rebuild. The sad fact no is we don't have the cap space to land decent free agent talent, and there aren't enough draft picks to fill all of the open roster spots.
Woodson was cut and i would disagree with Lake, he never reached the pro bowl level with Pitt.

but of all the players we lost its only a handful that went elsewhere and performed. most have had major drop offs.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
VaDave
Team Owner

Stafford for sure, Kaepernnick and Brees too. Wallace playing 8 games + a year in a dome with a good QB is a scary thought.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Woodson was cut and i would disagree with Lake, he never reached the pro bowl level with Pitt.

but of all the players we lost its only a handful that went elsewhere and performed. most have had major drop offs.
Lake did quite well with Jacksonville, and was an absolute stud for the Steelers. Unless I'm mistaken, Everette was never an all pro either.

My list were cap hits, maybe not probowlers, but solid front line players. Yes Woodson was technically a cut, but don't you believe is was about the injury or his ability. The Steelers wanted him to play Safety at Safety pay, not corner pay. Hence a big paycut. There was no cap space to pay him croner pay, so defacto, he was indeed a cap casualty.