Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

As far as Rice goes, who can say that if he would have gone here that he wouldn't have been injured or xomething and had his while career take a different turn?

Some guys are good because of WHERE they end up.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,513 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I posted this (or various versions of this) in a few other threads about the draft. I have cut & pasted...

Horrid. Everyone agrees on that. BUT, at the time, EVERYONE loved it... espeically Limas Sweed. In hindsight, it was an utter failure, but who would have known that both Spinny & Sweed would ahve mental issues... and, Tony Hilsl was a R1 prospect that dropped due to injury, and the Steelers take a calculated risk on him. Lastly, Bruce Davis was a sack machine... who simply never panned out. It happens.

2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, and DJ Johnson. Hood had been good, and Wallace was a home run. Lewis coudl eb a home run, and Johnson played well for a R7 pick. Getting four players who contribute is a good draft. Oh, and Urbik was cut by his position coach... and ended up starting on another roster (ie not Colbert's fault).

2010: Pouncey was a grand slam. AB was a home run... found in R6. Sanders could be a good pick. Worilds is alright, as has been Dwyer. Sylvester initially showed promise... but, he was a R5 pick. That is six who have contributed: a great draft.

2011: Heyward might be good, but he has not played enough to pass judgement on. Gilbert has played well. Cortez Allen is a home run. Carter is a question mark (much like Worilds). Adn, Baron Batch is a good special teamer. That is five who have contributed.

2012: Rainey allegedly hit a woman, and Ta'amu drove drunk. Gone and likely gone. DD was injured, but I love that pick. Spence was also injured, and also a pick that I love. Adams showed promis, and Paulson the coaches like. Beachum was a steal for a R7 pick (not a Tom Brady or an AB type of steal, but a steal nonetheless). That is five who contributed... and two who might wear orange jump suits.

SUMMATION:
These past three drafts have been pretty darn good. The 2002 draft (Randel El, Foote, Keisel, Hope) laid the groundwork for the 2005 (and the 2008) SuperBowls. These past three drafts are just as good (if not better).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (02-08-2013), Fire Arians (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

This only matters if you can show us that other NFL teams don't have similar or worse results. The Steelers are pretty darn good in the draft.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I posted this (or various versions of this) in a few other threads about the draft. I have cut & pasted...

Horrid. Everyone agrees on that. BUT, at the time, EVERYONE loved it... espeically Limas Sweed. In hindsight, it was an utter failure, but who would have known that both Spinny & Sweed would ahve mental issues... and, Tony Hilsl was a R1 prospect that dropped due to injury, and the Steelers take a calculated risk on him. Lastly, Bruce Davis was a sack machine... who simply never panned out. It happens.

2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, and DJ Johnson. Hood had been good, and Wallace was a home run. Lewis coudl eb a home run, and Johnson played well for a R7 pick. Getting four players who contribute is a good draft. Oh, and Urbik was cut by his position coach... and ended up starting on another roster (ie not Colbert's fault).

2010: Pouncey was a grand slam. AB was a home run... found in R6. Sanders could be a good pick. Worilds is alright, as has been Dwyer. Sylvester initially showed promise... but, he was a R5 pick. That is six who have contributed: a great draft.

2011: Heyward might be good, but he has not played enough to pass judgement on. Gilbert has played well. Cortez Allen is a home run. Carter is a question mark (much like Worilds). Adn, Baron Batch is a good special teamer. That is five who have contributed.

2012: Rainey allegedly hit a woman, and Ta'amu drove drunk. Gone and likely gone. DD was injured, but I love that pick. Spence was also injured, and also a pick that I love. Adams showed promis, and Paulson the coaches like. Beachum was a steal for a R7 pick (not a Tom Brady or an AB type of steal, but a steal nonetheless). That is five who contributed... and two who might wear orange jump suits.

SUMMATION:
These past three drafts have been pretty darn good. The 2002 draft (Randel El, Foote, Keisel, Hope) laid the groundwork for the 2005 (and the 2008) SuperBowls. These past three drafts are just as good (if not better).
good post, couldnt have been said any better
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

so THEY dont value their drafts how should we?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,513 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

I agree that I would like to see the younger players start more quickly. BUT, to say that just because a player sits for a season (or two) makes them a bad pick is illogical.

Aaron Rodgers sat for four seasons.

He was not a bad draft pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

You can add up all the draft mistakes the Steelers ever made and they still wouldn't amount to what that bad decision in the 1983 draft cost, as in several Lombardi Trophies. You know, when the Steelers took Gabe Rivera with their first pick instead of Dan Marino.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackH For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post

OH the melodrama!

steelerfans really have no clue what "salary cap hell" actually is.

draft good players + win championships = have to pay good players market value.

thats what steelerfans call "salary cap hell". things were so much better when rod woodson, kevin greene, carnell lake, greg lloyd and neil odonnel were leading us to multiple championships.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
You can add up all the draft mistakes the Steelers ever made and they still wouldn't amount to what that bad decision in the 1983 draft cost, as in several Lombardi Trophies. You know, when the Steelers took Gabe Rivera with their first pick instead of Dan Marino.
we probably shoulda kept johnny unitas as well.

unitas>>>bradshaw>>>marino>>>roethlisburger makes for a pretty good 50+ year run.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I don't consider Emmanuel Sanders and Jason Worilds "misses".
I do. For 3 years we've heard all the hype surrounding Sanders and I haven't seen anything.

He also forgot to mention Frank Summers. The worst pick I've ever witnessed by this FO. They literally drafted this:

DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote