Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
wwhickok
Starter
 
wwhickok's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 426
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24713
Thanks: 9
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

As far as Rice goes, who can say that if he would have gone here that he wouldn't have been injured or xomething and had his while career take a different turn?

Some guys are good because of WHERE they end up.
__________________
The Stong Conquer the Weak, The Mighty Make the Rules -- self-written.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,735
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 23,104
Thanked 24,513 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

I posted this (or various versions of this) in a few other threads about the draft. I have cut & pasted...

2008
Horrid. Everyone agrees on that. BUT, at the time, EVERYONE loved it... espeically Limas Sweed. In hindsight, it was an utter failure, but who would have known that both Spinny & Sweed would ahve mental issues... and, Tony Hilsl was a R1 prospect that dropped due to injury, and the Steelers take a calculated risk on him. Lastly, Bruce Davis was a sack machine... who simply never panned out. It happens.

2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, and DJ Johnson. Hood had been good, and Wallace was a home run. Lewis coudl eb a home run, and Johnson played well for a R7 pick. Getting four players who contribute is a good draft. Oh, and Urbik was cut by his position coach... and ended up starting on another roster (ie not Colbert's fault).

2010: Pouncey was a grand slam. AB was a home run... found in R6. Sanders could be a good pick. Worilds is alright, as has been Dwyer. Sylvester initially showed promise... but, he was a R5 pick. That is six who have contributed: a great draft.

2011: Heyward might be good, but he has not played enough to pass judgement on. Gilbert has played well. Cortez Allen is a home run. Carter is a question mark (much like Worilds). Adn, Baron Batch is a good special teamer. That is five who have contributed.

2012: Rainey allegedly hit a woman, and Ta'amu drove drunk. Gone and likely gone. DD was injured, but I love that pick. Spence was also injured, and also a pick that I love. Adams showed promis, and Paulson the coaches like. Beachum was a steal for a R7 pick (not a Tom Brady or an AB type of steal, but a steal nonetheless). That is five who contributed... and two who might wear orange jump suits.

SUMMATION:
These past three drafts have been pretty darn good. The 2002 draft (Randel El, Foote, Keisel, Hope) laid the groundwork for the 2005 (and the 2008) SuperBowls. These past three drafts are just as good (if not better).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (02-08-2013), Fire Arians (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 938
Member Number: 19049
Thanks: 542
Thanked 661 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

This only matters if you can show us that other NFL teams don't have similar or worse results. The Steelers are pretty darn good in the draft.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 11,096
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 2,068
Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I posted this (or various versions of this) in a few other threads about the draft. I have cut & pasted...

2008
Horrid. Everyone agrees on that. BUT, at the time, EVERYONE loved it... espeically Limas Sweed. In hindsight, it was an utter failure, but who would have known that both Spinny & Sweed would ahve mental issues... and, Tony Hilsl was a R1 prospect that dropped due to injury, and the Steelers take a calculated risk on him. Lastly, Bruce Davis was a sack machine... who simply never panned out. It happens.

2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, and DJ Johnson. Hood had been good, and Wallace was a home run. Lewis coudl eb a home run, and Johnson played well for a R7 pick. Getting four players who contribute is a good draft. Oh, and Urbik was cut by his position coach... and ended up starting on another roster (ie not Colbert's fault).

2010: Pouncey was a grand slam. AB was a home run... found in R6. Sanders could be a good pick. Worilds is alright, as has been Dwyer. Sylvester initially showed promise... but, he was a R5 pick. That is six who have contributed: a great draft.

2011: Heyward might be good, but he has not played enough to pass judgement on. Gilbert has played well. Cortez Allen is a home run. Carter is a question mark (much like Worilds). Adn, Baron Batch is a good special teamer. That is five who have contributed.

2012: Rainey allegedly hit a woman, and Ta'amu drove drunk. Gone and likely gone. DD was injured, but I love that pick. Spence was also injured, and also a pick that I love. Adams showed promis, and Paulson the coaches like. Beachum was a steal for a R7 pick (not a Tom Brady or an AB type of steal, but a steal nonetheless). That is five who contributed... and two who might wear orange jump suits.

SUMMATION:
These past three drafts have been pretty darn good. The 2002 draft (Randel El, Foote, Keisel, Hope) laid the groundwork for the 2005 (and the 2008) SuperBowls. These past three drafts are just as good (if not better).
good post, couldnt have been said any better
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 543
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 165 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

so THEY dont value their drafts how should we?
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,735
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 23,104
Thanked 24,513 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

so THEY dont value their drafts how should we?
I agree that I would like to see the younger players start more quickly. BUT, to say that just because a player sits for a season (or two) makes them a bad pick is illogical.

Aaron Rodgers sat for four seasons.

He was not a bad draft pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
JackH
Draft Prospect
 
JackH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 131
Member Number: 24722
Thanks: 9
Thanked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

You can add up all the draft mistakes the Steelers ever made and they still wouldn't amount to what that bad decision in the 1983 draft cost, as in several Lombardi Trophies. You know, when the Steelers took Gabe Rivera with their first pick instead of Dan Marino.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackH For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,306
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,316
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

so THEY dont value their drafts how should we?
OH the melodrama!

steelerfans really have no clue what "salary cap hell" actually is.

draft good players + win championships = have to pay good players market value.

thats what steelerfans call "salary cap hell". things were so much better when rod woodson, kevin greene, carnell lake, greg lloyd and neil odonnel were leading us to multiple championships.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,306
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,316
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
You can add up all the draft mistakes the Steelers ever made and they still wouldn't amount to what that bad decision in the 1983 draft cost, as in several Lombardi Trophies. You know, when the Steelers took Gabe Rivera with their first pick instead of Dan Marino.
we probably shoulda kept johnny unitas as well.

unitas>>>bradshaw>>>marino>>>roethlisburger makes for a pretty good 50+ year run.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
DanRooney
Banned
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,893
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 164 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I don't consider Emmanuel Sanders and Jason Worilds "misses".
I do. For 3 years we've heard all the hype surrounding Sanders and I haven't seen anything.

He also forgot to mention Frank Summers. The worst pick I've ever witnessed by this FO. They literally drafted this:

DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts