Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

Wallace had 32 TDs in his first 4 years while Swann had 23, Ward had 15, Stallworth had 14 and Brown had 7 in his first 3.

In my mind, Wallace is one of the best Steelers WRs all-time and I will be extremely disappointed to see him go. Wallace had some key big drops this past season which was out of character for him ( I don't remember anyone complaining about his hands pre-lockout).

I strongly feel that retaining Wallace should have been the FO top priority. For once I would like to see a Steelers WR who has excellent chemistry with Ben to stay on the team after they are finally on the same page. Marvin Harrison played 10 seasons with Manning, Rice played 7 with Montana etc. I'm not saying that ben and Wallace are as good just pointing out how helpful it has been to have continuity for QB / WR combos over the years on other teams.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

different era. compare wallace to the players of the last 5 -10 years in their first 4 years if you want an accurate comparison.

Since you werent around then, the steelers didnt start throwing really until after the rules changes (the Mel Blount rule). You cant go by numbers, its not fantasy football.

in swanns first 4 years he had 2 super bowl wins and a super bowl mvp in a running era.

Stallworth too had 2 championships

if thats the case, donnie shell and mike wagner are better than troy based only on interceptions.

ridiculous post.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I'm guessing lloydwoodson is too young to have watched the 70's Steelers teams play. Nobody who actually watched Stallworth and Swan would compare them to Mike Wallace - it's laughable. Those two were exceptional receivers in every way. Wallace can run fast, but his routes are imprecise and his hands are poor.

Seriously, there are so many levels of separation here ...

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (02-09-2013), pittpete (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

"Strongly feel retaining Mike Wallace should of been FO priority".

10 million a year wasn't "priority" money? Fuck that. He's not worth 10 million a year.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (02-10-2013), kent (02-10-2013), The_Joker (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I'm guessing lloydwoodson is too young to have watched the 70's Steelers teams play. Nobody who actually watched Stallworth and Swan would compare them to Mike Wallace - it's laughable. Those two were exceptional receivers in every way. Wallace can run fast, but his routes are imprecise and his hands are poor.

Seriously, there are so many levels of separation here ...
I was around back then, so is it equally insane for others to compare Ben to Bradshaw? Just a question that has to be asked based on your post. Bradshaw has 4 rings and could throw the deep ball consistently accurate. Ben has 2 rings and doesn't throw it deep often, even less now in Haley's system.

Both Swanie and Stallworth were deep threats and gave Ds fits, whereas our current team only has one deep threat, pending the possible split with Mike.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,691 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Wallace has been successful stat-wise early in his career, I'll give you that. However, I don't think he's a better receiver than Ward, Holmes, Burress, Charles Johnson, or Yancey Thigpen. It's still questionable whether he's better than Antonio Brown (although I'm sure a lot of ppl will disagree). I can't comment on Stallworth or Swann or Lipps myself, not being old enough to have seen them play.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

It makes me laugh how you guys so easily forget what wallace has done for this team yet tend to overlook Brown's shortcomings because he is under contract.
If you want to compare Wallace to more recent players then compare his first 3 yearsto the top WR's , Fitzgeral , Megatron, White and Marshall and you'll see Wallace is right up there with them.
I agree wallace had a down year but he's still more valuable to our team then most of you think and you'll find thatout this sseason
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I was around back then, so is it equally insane for others to compare Ben to Bradshaw? Just a question that has to be asked based on your post. Bradshaw has 4 rings and could throw the deep ball consistently accurate. Ben has 2 rings and doesn't throw it deep often, even less now in Haley's system.

Both Swanie and Stallworth were deep threats and gave Ds fits, whereas our current team only has one deep threat, pending the possible split with Mike.
I think that comparing Ben and Bradshaw is very interesting. That's a comparison that merits discussion, because they're both somewhere in the same class in terms of their play. Wallace just isn't near the same class as Swan/Stallworth, although I once believed that he could be with continued development - but based on the last one and a half seasons, I'm less hopeful.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,650 Times in 934 Posts

He had a down your because he was afraid of getting hurt with his mega contract on the line..... It was glaringly obvious....

As for his worth, who cares about how he stacks up against whoever, the point is we are going to be a lesser team without him. But you also have to consider that if we "Pay the Man, that means somebody else or somebodies have to go, also making us a lesser team.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote