Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513
Default Re: Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I think that comparing Ben and Bradshaw is very interesting. That's a comparison that merits discussion, because they're both somewhere in the same class in terms of their play. Wallace just isn't near the same class as Swan/Stallworth, although I once believed that he could be with continued development - but based on the last one and a half seasons, I'm less hopeful.
I didn't compare Mike to our greatest wrs ever, the original poster raised a good point regarding the first four seasons of any wr we've ever had and Mike trumps them all at this stage in his career (first 4 yrs). I don't think the numbers can be argued, but neither can the body of work for Swanie and Stallworth because we have their entire careers to look back on. Mike is a newbie on the scene.

The guy is within top percentile of his peers, whether some on this board admits it or not. We can have our own opinions but the facts don't belong to any of us, they are what they are (truth).
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (02-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,515 Times in 585 Posts

First four years of current upper echelon receivers

Larry Fitzgerald

Receptions: 330
Yards: 4544
TD: 34

Calvin Johnson

Receptions: 270
Yards: 4191
TD: 33

Andre Johnson

Receptions: 311
Yards: 3953
TD: 17

Mike Wallace

Receptions: 235
Yards: 4042
TD: 32
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
zcoop (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

We're keeping Wallace or we're picking up Bowe. If neither happen it's a travesty.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,181 Posts
My Mood: Grumpy

It will either be Keenan or Wallace that comes back the FO will pick the one that's more valuable to this team.

If Keenan Leaves we have Cortez to replace him and have DVD, C.Brown or Victorian to play the nickle and probably waste another high draft pick on another corner

If Wallace leaves we have Brown, Sanders, Cotchery or draft a receiver in the 1-3 rounds in the draft.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Hey I like Wallace but you can compare eras and stats can be misleading. What irks steelers fans is Pittsburgh players are known for being tough, even at the wide receiver position.

Wallace played soft and cowardly for selfish reasons. Plus he dropped a ton of passes.

Most players playing for a contract play hard to impress their team and the 31 teams but instead Wallace had the arrogance that he can get a contract without proving himself.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,614 Times in 3,922 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I don't dislike Wallace at all. Sure I'm disappointed in him after this year, but there aren't many Steelers who impressed this past year. He's been extremely valuable to this team over the past few years.

However saying that his numbers show that he's one of the greatest Steelers WR's of all time is like saying Jason Gildon is one of the best Steelers LB's of all time.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Hey I like Wallace but you can compare eras and stats can be misleading. What irks steelers fans is Pittsburgh players are known for being tough, even at the wide receiver position.

Wallace played soft and cowardly for selfish reasons. Plus he dropped a ton of passes.

Most players playing for a contract play hard to impress their team and the 31 teams but instead Wallace had the arrogance that he can get a contract without proving himself.
He was playing well as was the team until Ben got hurt. What did you want him to do, go into a phone booth and come out in tights with an 'S' on his chest? The guy has been a bargain based on what we've paid him thus far. We should have worked out a deal with him during year three, if we wanted to get him cheaper.

This cat has done his job as a Steeler wr and if he leaves we'll see just how effective he was. Of course he can be replaced as can any player on any team in the NFL but his absence will be noticable until we get someone to do what he is capable of doing.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Lots of drops. Lots of minimal effort plays. Minimal focus as per his head coach.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Lots of drops. Lots of minimal effort plays. Minimal focus as per his head coach.
Was the team focused this year? That includes the coaching staff and the players with the 8 - 8 record we had this year. All that shit wasn't Mike's doing, AB, Sanders, Ben and many others contributed to this debacle. Mike is just being used as the scapgoat because he dared to hold out for more pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

I just think it's a shame that Steelers fan hold such animosity towards Wallace. He is a helluva lot less flashy than people pretend he is and he has dropped a helluva lot fewer passes than people claimed he has.

The point is Wallace did have a down year. Wallace hurt his value this past season. It is possible that his price may have come down enough for the Steelers to snag him. If that is the case I hope the Steelers fans welcome him back with open arms and not worry about his contract. None of us are paying the man directly.

If Mike Wallace plays another 6 seasons for the Pittsburgh Steelers he will lead them in every statistical category, and maybe get another Superbowl win.

What did Ben say at the beginning of the season? He said it would be hard for the young receivers to learn a new playbook and get on the same page with him. Ben was right. And another thing... it has taken a couple years for Brown and Sanders to get in sync with Ben also. It is a young receiving corps and will be a great one for years to come if it can stay together... if it be the will of Allah.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote