Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #61
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,694 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Hire Jack Bicknell Jr. As OLine Coach

I dont see much changing. Bicknell will likely work with what he has in the big backs and run power man as base and then mix in some zone blocking in the run game. Pass protection is on the fundamentals and having good athletes like he has and working on their technique and reads as a unit.

Nothing revolutionary that I can see coming. Just a good replacement for the departing Kugler.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #62
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I dont see much changing. Bicknell will likely work with what he has in the big backs and run power man as base and then mix in some zone blocking in the run game. Pass protection is on the fundamentals and having good athletes like he has and working on their technique and reads as a unit.

Nothing revolutionary that I can see coming. Just a good replacement for the departing Kugler.
It depends if the Steelers think that their big backs can be every down backs. This year is the perfect time for them to change their blocking scheme to zone blocking. Good man blocking linemen on the team are either FA or potential cap casualty.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #63
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Good post. I agree. Changes will be incremental, and highly dependent of two factor, who settles in at LG, and if we can find a runner that would benefit from running zone blocking. Too bad Mendenhall more than likely is leaving because he'd be great at it.

Top end speed is not as important as acceleration, vision and anticipation. I'd like to think Redman could do it too, but I'm afraid he doesn't have the ability to plant his foot, cut, and blast off.

Not lining up 9-10 yards in the backfield would help too. ( who the heck came up with that anyway??)
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #64
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

P-G article states significant changes may be coming with regard to both the the members and blocking scheme of the O-line

The Steelers offensive line will have a different look in 2013, not just in personnel but also in execution.

At least, that is the intent of offensive coordinator Todd Haley and the team's new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr....

But the true measure of how a line performs is often determined by how effectively a team runs the ball. And that is something the Steelers did not do very well in 2012, other than a three-game span in the middle of the season when they had three consecutive games with a 100-yard rusher -- something the team had not done in five years.

Haley and Bicknell would like to change that. And they will start with injecting more youth, more athleticism and less girth in the offensive line....

That's one of the reasons the Steelers are expected to part ways with Max Starks, who was arguably the team's best lineman in 2012 and the only one to play every snap. Tackles are responsible for allowing running backs to get to the edge and bounce outside, and how many times did you see a Steelers running back do that last season?

That is also not a good fit for guard Willie Colon, who was too thick to move at the team's top pulling spot. Colon, though, is not expected back because of his repeated injury problems....

The only question is at left guard, where 330-pound Ramon Foster finished the season as the starter.

Foster, though, does not run very well and is not an ideal fit for the team's primary pulling position. Plus, like Starks, he is an unrestricted free agent and might not be re-signed. That could pave the way for tackle Kelvin Beachum, last year's seventh-round pick, to be moved there.

In a season of injuries to many of their draft choices, Beachum was one of the team's most pleasant surprises. Not only did he impress the coaches with his ability to pass protect, he also showed an ability to get out of the edge and run block -- something the coaches want to see more of in 2013.

Beachum, 23, fits in perfectly with the team's desire to have lighter, more agile offensive lineman, and he could be moved to guard and given a chance to play there...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-store-674173/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #65
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
P-G article states significant changes may be coming with regard to both the the members and blocking scheme of the O-line

The Steelers offensive line will have a different look in 2013, not just in personnel but also in execution.

At least, that is the intent of offensive coordinator Todd Haley and the team's new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr....

But the true measure of how a line performs is often determined by how effectively a team runs the ball. And that is something the Steelers did not do very well in 2012, other than a three-game span in the middle of the season when they had three consecutive games with a 100-yard rusher -- something the team had not done in five years.

Haley and Bicknell would like to change that. And they will start with injecting more youth, more athleticism and less girth in the offensive line....

That's one of the reasons the Steelers are expected to part ways with Max Starks, who was arguably the team's best lineman in 2012 and the only one to play every snap. Tackles are responsible for allowing running backs to get to the edge and bounce outside, and how many times did you see a Steelers running back do that last season?

That is also not a good fit for guard Willie Colon, who was too thick to move at the team's top pulling spot. Colon, though, is not expected back because of his repeated injury problems....

The only question is at left guard, where 330-pound Ramon Foster finished the season as the starter.

Foster, though, does not run very well and is not an ideal fit for the team's primary pulling position. Plus, like Starks, he is an unrestricted free agent and might not be re-signed. That could pave the way for tackle Kelvin Beachum, last year's seventh-round pick, to be moved there.

In a season of injuries to many of their draft choices, Beachum was one of the team's most pleasant surprises. Not only did he impress the coaches with his ability to pass protect, he also showed an ability to get out of the edge and run block -- something the coaches want to see more of in 2013.

Beachum, 23, fits in perfectly with the team's desire to have lighter, more agile offensive lineman, and he could be moved to guard and given a chance to play there...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-store-674173/
If the pass protect and run game improve with this scheme that results in consistent scoring - Beachum will look like the steal of the draft - this would be exciting. Nothing used in the past few seasons have given me that much confidence on that side of the ball, so why not take some more risks and play to strengths of the young guys -give them more trial by fire - I think we might just be pleasantly surprised with some of these moves.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #66
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
[I]
/[/url]
I dont put much stock in what Gerry Dulac writes in February. I think he once wrote about a "Pony Backfield" with Willie Parker and Mendenhall. Wasnt Chris Rainey supposed to be the next Dexter McCluster??

So the O line is going to comprise of the young #1 and #2 draft picks and not Starks, Colon, maybe Foster. not that big of a news story IMO.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #67
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Whatever Bicknell wants to do is fine with me. Gotta keep trying things until we find something that works - we've had six years of frustration with the OL at this point. Six years with our franchise QB running for his life, and no reliable running game. It's just amazing that we made it to two SBs without an NFL caliber line - no QB other than Ben would have been able to overcome that, and of course he needed the great defenses that LeBeau provided.

I don't think we're finished drafting for the OL, either. One guard position is a big question mark, and both of our high-pick young tackles have had issues.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #68
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Whatever Bicknell wants to do is fine with me. Gotta keep trying things until we find something that works - we've had six years of frustration with the OL at this point. Six years with our franchise QB running for his life, and no reliable running game. It's just amazing that we made it to two SBs without an NFL caliber line - no QB other than Ben would have been able to overcome that, and of course he needed the great defenses that LeBeau provided.

I don't think we're finished drafting for the OL, either. One guard position is a big question mark, and both of our high-pick young tackles have had issues.
Tomlin and Arians chose to "protect Ben with weapons." In 2008 and 09 they drafted receivers and running backs instead of linemen despite the losses of Marvell Smith, Kendall Simmons, Jeff Hartings and Alan Faneca. 3 1st round OL and 1 2nd gone and not even an attempt was made to replace them.

It was horrendously stupid.

At the end of 2007 all those players were injury prone or gone. Nothing was done in the draft or free agency to fix the line.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #69
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936

Bicknell will work with what he got.

Keep Colon with a paycut of three million dollars.If we release him he is looking at a one year contract maybe two for far less money.If he doubts it ask Starks he will set him straight.

If we keep Colon,draft a rb and Michael Williams TE in the fifth round.We have the making of a power run game.

OFFset power run formation
LT Gilbert,C Pouncey,RG DD,RG Colon,RT Adams And Williams at te

Should cut down on 2TE formation until Heath is healthy enough to start.May miss a couple of game due to his injury.
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote