Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #231
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,113 Times in 5,950 Posts
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
Makes sense to me, his draft and what you said. Although I still like Eifert or Ertz early in the draft as my preference, but I'd be happy with what you two guys are saying, which addresses most needs in one way or another.

Yeah, we need a QB like Dysert or somebody late in the draft. If nothing else, so we have somebody on the practice squad. The Steelers don't want to have to go looking for somebody during the season like this year.
GIVE ME AN"E"
Eifert, Ertz... or, Escobar.

BACK-UP QB
This is not the year to draft a back-up, but AGREED: a back-up is indeed needed. Dysert is alright; I like Alex Carder.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #232
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

After watching the SuperBowl, and more importantly, listening to the analysts discussing the SuperBowl (beforehand & afterwards), a common theme emerged from all of the talking heads: O-line.

The talked about how the Ravens shuffled their O-line, and that their O-line dominated the post-season. Likewise, before the big game, the analysts were talking about how the Niners had a great O-line (full of R1 picks), which allowed them to do many things on offense.

Now, I know that the main four (Pouncey, DD, Adams, & Gilbert) have not yet played a snap together, and that this O-line ALREADY has the potential to be extremely good. And, I know that everyone is high on Beachum (myself included)... but, considering that BB has 3-5 years left... and considering that the AFC is weak right now... and considering that the "elite" QBs are old & the up-&-coming QBs are not quite "there" yet... why not take the short right now???

Draft Chance Warmack.

Make sure that the O-line is not only extremely good; make sure that it is dominant... elite... the BEST in the entire NFL.

It hurts me, because I had my hopes on acquiring Elam... but, if the defense can wait one more year with Troy & Ryan, while the offense (finally) lives up to its potential, then I think there is a really great shot at #7 next season. Plus, this is a deep, deep draft at safety; a good (but not great) safety can be drafted in R4 (let alone R2 & R3).

What are everyone's thoughts?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #233
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Draft Chance Warmack.

What are everyone's thoughts?
He is the number one guard in the draft and likely to go before the Steelers pick, so say most mock drafts. But then, that's what everybody thought about DeCastro last year. If he is there when the Steelers pick, he's the best player available, so yeah, take him.

Your rationale makes good sense to me. The better the OL is, the better are the chances Ben stays healthy. As Ben goes, so go the Steelers. That's rather obvious from the last two seasons when he was injured, and in my opinion, not fully recovered at the end of the season. Yeah, I had a fractured rib. It took two months for me to get back to normal.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #234
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
He is the number one guard in the draft and likely to go before the Steelers pick, so say most mock drafts. But then, that's what everybody thought about DeCastro last year. If he is there when the Steelers pick, he's the best player available, so yeah, take him.

Your rationale makes good sense to me. The better the OL is, the better are the chances Ben stays healthy. As Ben goes, so go the Steelers. That's rather obvious from the last two seasons when he was injured, and in my opinion, not fully recovered at the end of the season. Yeah, I had a fractured rib. It took two months for me to get back to normal.
True.

He "should" go to the NYJets. He "should" go to the Titans. He "should" go to the Chargers. He "should" go to the Rams.

But, if he's there, I gotta think that he'd be the BAP. Even though Elam is "my guy", I am more & more leaning towards taking Warmack. With that monster of an O-line, ANY running back should be able to average 4+ yards per carry.

Plus... there's that BB guy to protect & stuff.

Really though, since BB would have 4-5 untarnished seconds (sometimes 7 seconds) to scan the field, the sacks would decrease, and in turn, he stays HEALTHY for the play-offs.

Good-bye, Elam. Hello, Warmack.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #235
JackH
Draft Prospect

Quote:
True.

He "should" go to the NYJets. He "should" go to the Titans. He "should" go to the Chargers. He "should" go to the Rams.

But, if he's there, I gotta think that he'd be the BAP. Even though Elam is "my guy", I am more & more leaning towards taking Warmack. With that monster of an O-line, ANY running back should be able to average 4+ yards per carry.

Plus... there's that BB guy to protect & stuff.

Really though, since BB would have 4-5 untarnished seconds (sometimes 7 seconds) to scan the field, the sacks would decrease, and in turn, he stays HEALTHY for the play-offs.

Good-bye, Elam. Hello, Warmack.
If the Steelers did get Warmack, that would make the new OL coach Bicknell a genius real quick. And whoever is feature back a 1,000 yard guy.

That play where Ben got hurt against KC was about 8 seconds per my count. He was 4-5 secs in the shotgun, couldn't find anybody, and moved up a couple yards and got sandwiched. I can't understand why Wille Colon didn't hold. I mean, that's his favorite move.

You got me talked into Warmack. No question in my mind the Steelers should take him if he's there at #17. He'd be playing Colon's position, right? What an improvement that would be.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #236
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

No way will we take an offensive lineman regardless of who is there. I gurentee it. Pouncey will be the highest paid center after this season plus we have Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro. We would have to cut our entire defense if we want to put that much money into our line. You can't expect to win in the NFL with all first and second round picks on your line. It will cost to much and kill the rest of the team. If you can'tdevelop later round picks on the line then our coaches are not very good
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #237
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
No way will we take an offensive lineman regardless of who is there. I gurentee it. Pouncey will be the highest paid center after this season plus we have Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro. We would have to cut our entire defense if we want to put that much money into our line. You can't expect to win in the NFL with all first and second round picks on your line. It will cost to much and kill the rest of the team. If you can'tdevelop later round picks on the line then our coaches are not very good
As I was discussing in another threat.

1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think (about $24 million).

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: No matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.

SUMMATION:
Pouncey will be paid now. Gilbert in four years. Adams & DD in three years. (And, Warmack in five years.) That means that the Steelers would not have any "cap issues" (ie having to pay these guys huge contracts) for three more seasons. And then, again, either pay them or draft replacements. But, in the meantime, the Steelers would have the MOST DOMINANT O-line for three years.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #238
JackH
Draft Prospect

Excellent article in the Post Gazette today entitled "The O-line: Changes in store" by Gerry Dulac. I get the paper but I see the article is online so here's the link, if I do it right:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-store-674173/

In my opinion, Warmack would make an immediate impact for the better on the Steelers offense in a variety of ways, if we could get him. I don't think you can say that about many other players in this draft. We might see a bunch of teams who pick ahead of the Steelers take a chance on unknown quantities, like QBs. Warmack looks like a sure thing.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #239
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
As I was discussing in another threat.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think (about $24 million).
I like these points because I believe the Steelers have been spending high draft picks on cheap positions on purpose. Pouncey C, DeCastro G, Hood and Heyward 3-4 DE are all cheap positions. It is possible that it is coincidence that these players were drafted without regards to salary but I think it is really smart to spend high picks on players you can afford to keep around for ten years. Sucks for Heyward and Hood because they would be paid a lot more in a 4-3.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #240
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,768 Times in 2,942 Posts

Ed: Scratch Ogletree as Possible Steelers Pick

MONDAY, 18 FEBRUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Scratch Alec Ogletree of the list of candidates to be drafted by the Steelers in the first round. With all the trouble they had with last year’s rookie class, there is no way they will draft this kid.

From CBSSports.com:

Linebacker Alec Ogletree, who led Georgia with 111 tackles despite being suspended for four games, recently was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence, according to his agent.

The projected first-round pick “was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye Jr. told Profootballtalk.com. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

Ogletree (6-3, 237) announced he'd enter the draft after making a team-high 13 tackles in the win over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl.

Coach Mark Richt suspended Ogletree for the first four games of 2012 because he failed drug tests during spring practice. Ogletree also was arrested for the theft of a Georgia track athlete's motorcycle helmet in September 2010 and was suspended for his first college game.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-steelers-pick
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote