Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts
Default Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:

With Haley needing to open things up, my thoughts are only to be explored as a wrinkle to making things go for Big Ben to control within his skill-set.

Lot of elements in that type of attack I can see Ben run quite nicely.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Is this a style that Mendenhall would be good for? I know a lot of people want him gone, but if he's the best option how can we let him go?
i was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #13
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts

Gerry Dulac just posted an article on Pittsburgh Post Gazette, an article that could see changes to the offensive line. His views mimic the exact views I posted in this thread when sitting down and thinking of a direction best suited for our talent. I share most of his views for what he said here:

Quote:
Today, most of the top running teams in the NFL use a zone-blocking scheme that requires the offensive lineman to block an area, not a specific man. Among them are Kansas City, Washington, Denver and Houston.

Bicknell used a zone-blocking scheme last season with the Chiefs, who finished fifth in the league in rushing after leading the NFL in 2011. Bicknell said the Chiefs used a zone-blocking scheme because they had a running back, Jamaal Charles, who liked to run outside-zone plays.

If the Steelers change to a zone-blocking scheme, then it will be imperative to find the type of running back who is patient, stretches the play and has good cutback instincts.

Right now, the Steelers' top running backs, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, are physical backs who run inside and are more tailored to gap runs in a man-blocking scheme. Rashard Mendenhall and Chris Rainey are examples of running backs who can threaten the edge and are more suited to zone-blocking schemes. But Rainey is already gone and Mendenhall is expected to follow.

That will either force the Steelers to find a back to fit a zone-scheme style or continue with a man-blocking attack that suits Redman and Dwyer.

Man, I hope we can make the transition!

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2KTqfrNkm
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,140 Posts

In general I don't like rollouts mainly because you reduce the the size of of your target area. I do like designed rollouts, and misdirections to take advantage of defenders proclivities, but only on occassion.

Someone else posted about todays speedy linebackers and defensive schemes, like the 3-4, or the wide 9. I'm not so sure I'd want to run too many rollouts against those defenses.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the changes, especially having lighter more mobile linemen.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,699 Times in 4,777 Posts

I think it's a really good idea. Houston runs a very similar offensive scheme that you're talking about with Schaub to Johnson and it works really, really well. You're absolutely right, though - in order to run this kind of offense, we need a legitimate and probably franchise RB to work from play-action and throw it downfield or on the move.

I think that Ben to Brown in this style of offense would be really effective. I think the pieces are there on the offensive line and WR corp, we just need a RB. If we were to draft someone like Marcus Lattimore or Mike Gillislee, then this offensive scheme would be hard to stop with our speedy possession receivers we have.

I like it.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
nick5574
Water Boy

Member Number: 24779

Early in his career didn't ben have a lot of success in roll outs and bootlegs off of play action? A strong running game would even increase the success of such a system. I read somewhere that there was an idea of bringing reggie bush to the steelers? is that still a possibility because i could see him flourishing in this offense.
nick5574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,249 Times in 4,489 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5574 View Post
Early in his career didn't ben have a lot of success in roll outs and bootlegs off of play action? A strong running game would even increase the success of such a system. I read somewhere that there was an idea of bringing reggie bush to the steelers? is that still a possibility because i could see him flourishing in this offense.
reggie bush would be nice, I don't remember hearing that. I think his asking price would be too high for us.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
nick5574
Water Boy

Member Number: 24779

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
reggie bush would be nice, I don't remember hearing that. I think his asking price would be too high for us.
Our cap situation does lead to a lot of problems. There is an article on nfl.com right now saying that 3 of our 5 offensive line starters may not be with the team next year.
nick5574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,699 Times in 4,777 Posts

Quote:
Our cap situation does lead to a lot of problems. There is an article on nfl.com right now saying that 3 of our 5 offensive line starters may not be with the team next year.
You're acting like the 2 remaining guys aren't David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey. As long as they stay and anchor our line, I'm fine with grabbing new offensive linemen.

That being said, we won't. It's a dumb article that these guys have to write for offseason purposes. Not enough attention is being paid to the Steelers right now, so why not write an article that puts the most successful franchise back on the front page?

Anyone else ready for April 25?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,249 Times in 4,489 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
that's what makes this offseason so exciting. We should start taking polls on how many starters will return, how many FA's we'll lose, if there will be any major changes like using a ZBL scheme or not.

I'll be surprised when we start seeing any changes, but it's fun to think of what the Steelers might do.