Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #31
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish
Default Re: Redskins name change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
While it would be admittedly strange to have a Washington-based football team not be known as the Redskins, in the end they are not my team, and whatever decision the organization makes would not bother me in either case.
It would. They're my home team, and as such, I will support them second only to the Steelers.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Say it ain't so. My vote goes to NO. It'll always be the Redskins, why change it because a handful of whiners don't like it. (Fact, Redskins was a term invented by the Natives themselves to distinguish themselves from Whites.)

I live in DC so this is pretty big new here.
They party so darn much over there, the team should take off the "Redskins" and replace it with "Firewater".

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,455 Times in 4,692 Posts

If people really gave a shit and wanted change, they wouldn't be discussing this in the offseason. It's, yet again, another article that has to be written for headline purposes so we have something to talk about until the draft and/or training camp. It's bullshit, and if 90% of Native Americans don't care about the name then why should it be changed? So the 10% can change a name that a) has absolutely no effect on their day to day life and b) has been around as a sports team for over 80 years?

No. It won't and shouldn't be changed.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #34
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired

George Preston Marshall:

Marshall has gained infamy for his intractable opposition to having African-Americans on his roster. According to professor Charles Ross, "For 24 years Marshall was identified as the leading racist in the NFL".[3] Though the league had previously had a sprinkling of black players, blacks were excluded from all NFL teams just one year after the then-Boston Braves entered the league.
While the rest of the league began signing individual blacks in 1946 and actually drafting blacks in 1949, Marshall held out until 1962 before signing a black player. Along with his own personal views, Marshall refused to sign African-American players because of a desire to appeal to Southern markets. For most of his tenure as owner, the Redskins were the southernmost team in the NFL.[4] His intractability was routinely mocked in Washington Post columns by legendary writer Shirley Povich, who sarcastically used terms from the civil rights movement and related court cases to describe games: for instance, he once wrote that Jim Brown "integrated" the end zone, making the score "separate but unequal".
Finally, in 1962, Interior Secretary Stewart Udall and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum — unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on the year-old D.C. Stadium (now Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium), which had been paid for by government money and was owned by the Washington city government (which, then and now, is formally an arm of the federal government). Marshall's chief response was to make Ernie Davis, Syracuse's all-American running back, his number-one draft choice for 1962. Davis, however, demanded a trade, saying, "I won't play for that S.O.B." He got his wish, as the team sent him to Cleveland for All-Pro Bobby Mitchell. Mitchell was the first African American football player to play a game for the Redskins, and he played with the team for several years, initially at running back, but he made his biggest impact at wide receiver.

That man gave the team it's racist name. There's one hell of a point of pride for its fans.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
charlesk
Banned

Member Number: 24477

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If people really gave a shit and wanted change, they wouldn't be discussing this in the offseason. It's, yet again, another article that has to be written for headline purposes so we have something to talk about until the draft and/or training camp. It's bullshit, and if 90% of Native Americans don't care about the name then why should it be changed? So the 10% can change a name that a) has absolutely no effect on their day to day life and b) has been around as a sports team for over 80 years?

No. It won't and shouldn't be changed.
Same issue came up when I was in college. I went to the U of Minn and our main sport was hockey and our main rival was the N.Dakota Fighting Sioux. A few people complained who were not Native American and they complained loud. Easy to protest and complain when you do not have a job to go to. Some shakedown attempts followed and the NCAA which delves into politics far more than I believe they should (politics and sports should be separate) threatened severe action. ND ceased using the logo (despite have the support of the majority of tribes in the area) and also ceased some financial support for programs and aforementioned Tribes. But the logo which never hurt anyone was changed so that was all that mattered. Nothing to help the Native American population of North Dakota; of whom many many suffer in abject poverty in one of the most prosperous states in the Union was ever discussed. Onto the next cause of the week. Bottom line is if you care enough about this type of stuff to protest and sue and threaten action and so on then you need to get a job. People like this (and I made this argument on campus once) are just morons. I said that one needed to pick one's battles very carefully and make sure whatever you were fighting in support of was important because if all you do is protest and complain all the time no one cares about anything you have to say. That's what happened to the Occupy groups. Screaming, yelling, and protesting about everything and very soon no one cared anymore. Peace
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlesk For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #36
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

It would be like having a team called the "Birmingham Black Skins" or the "San Fransisco Homosexuals" Big deal.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Wasn't someone whining about the Cleveland Indians a few years back then everyone got over it?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #38
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Say it ain't so. My vote goes to NO. It'll always be the Redskins, why change it because a handful of whiners don't like it. (Fact, Redskins was a term invented by the Natives themselves to distinguish themselves from Whites.)

I live in DC so this is pretty big new here.
I'd like to see your sources on this "fact". I've read otherwise, that it was a term used by Brits to distinguish the Native Americans from the Indians from, well, India.

I live in D.C. as well. I don't care for the name because I think it just sounds stupid. I don't have the least bit of Native American heritage, but I can't help but feel like "Redskin" has a very offensive connotation to it.

Quote:
*Sigh*

It is inevitable, isn't it?

Then what do you guys suggest changing it to?

Warriors? Pigskins?
Senators or Presidents. Either name would easily fall in line with with two of the other major teams here (Capitals and Nationals). There's even history behind the names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing...tors_%28NFL%29

Last edited by Bane; 02-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #40
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,278 Times in 2,308 Posts

Foreskins

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post: