Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #42
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049
Default Re: Redskins name change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa14 View Post
Many native american "whiners" find it very offensive as it has been used as a derogatory term against them for a long time. I honestly don't know what it's origins are but I grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada and I witnessed a boy fight another boy in school for being called that exact name. He was being bullied and it lit a fuse. It is a sore spot and for you to write them all off as "whiners" is quite frankly ignorant.
No they don't. I lived and worked on a reservation in Arizona. The sports fans there rooted for every team named after Native Americans. It was a source of pride to them. Don't spout or swallow liberal propaganda.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #43
BleedPurple
Starter

Member Number: 19142

Must be an inside joke

Last edited by BleedPurple; 02-12-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Whoosh
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #44
aa14
Banned

Member Number: 24529
My Mood: In Love
Thumbs down Re: Redskins name change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
No they don't. I lived and worked on a reservation in Arizona. The sports fans there rooted for every team named after Native Americans. It was a source of pride to them. Don't spout or swallow liberal propaganda.
You used to work on a reservation in one part of one state of one country in North America. With that experience you know Native American's collective attitude and experience with this particular moniker? That is gold. The boy growing up on the reservation in Arizona isn't going to have the same experience as a girl in an affluent suburb of Salt-lake city. He isn't going to have the same experience as the lone Native American boy that was in my class in the mid 90's. The kid in my class wasn't part of a collective or reservation. There was no exuded Native American pride. He sure as hell wasn't going to show up in a Redskin's coat or jersey or winter hat. I am relatively sure he would have believed that was the worst thing he could've done. I alluded in a previous post this boy's experience was probably not happening often and not the norm. That doesn't mean we should write him and this ten percent off as an outlier or "whiners". "Redskin" was used against him in a hateful way more than a few times. Just because everything is swell where you come from doesn't mean it's swell everywhere. Maybe "Redskin" is rarely used as a slur in most areas of North America but it was used as one where I grew up. The vernacular and lexicon of a population has huge variations with contrasting populations, even in North America. To label my personal experience as "liberal propaganda" is asinine and ignorant. Maybe I'm wrong and no one outside my hometown has been called "Redskin" in a derogatory manner and the 10% really are a bunch of over-sensitive "whiners" but nothing I've said comes from a political agenda. You don't know my political affiliation but everyone now knows the skewed angle you're coming from. Flame-bait political bullshit is incredibly insipid, try something else.

Last edited by aa14; 02-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.
aa14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aa14 For This Useful Post:
tony hipchest (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #45
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,511 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

do native americans take offense to the Red Man brand chewing tobacco?

i'm sure african americans would have a problem if someone made a product called black man chicken wings or something lol

who am i to say, but i can see how the name could be considered offensive
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #46
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,122 Times in 537 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

I hate the Redskins but I will be pissed if they change their name. It's been around forever. People are too easily offended. Most of the people who complain about it are just looking for something and anything to complain about and have no actual Native American heritage or reason to feel so strongly toward the name. The Native Americans made up the term to distinguish themselves from whites anyway, it wasn't a derogatory name given to them by others.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #47
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Hey, Neo-Cons, I'm a Liberal and I support the Redslins name. Don't bring that BS in here.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #48
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
*Sigh*

It is inevitable, isn't it?

Then what do you guys suggest changing it to?

Warriors? Pigskins?
"Your Fascist Overlords"

For the record, the time has long passed for these race-based team names. There are no "Honky" teams in the NFL for a reason (several reasons, actually ) and it's time to extrapolate and move along. The Redskins are an embarrassment to themselves and to the league, and a name change might give them a fresh start. That they are the team from the nation's capital - rather than from Oklahoma City - just underscores what a backwards people we really are.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #49
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,020 Times in 4,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
do native americans take offense to the Red Man brand chewing tobacco?

i'm sure african americans would have a problem if someone made a product called black man chicken wings or something lol
yeah... probably so.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #50
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
"Your Fascist Overlords"

For the record, the time has long passed for these race-based team names. There are no "Honky" teams in the NFL for a reason (several reasons, actually ) and it's time to extrapolate and move along. The Redskins are an embarrassment to themselves and to the league, and a name change might give them a fresh start. That they are the team from the nation's capital - rather than from Oklahoma City - just underscores what a backwards people we really are.
the name is taken....

how about the washington bribes....
heres a logo...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote