Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Let's just stick with Mendenhall.

To be honest i don't think Tomlin likes Mendy....But what else do we have?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

If the Steelers change to zone blocking scheme, I think he's the best fit on the market.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

uh...........

NO.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Ted Kaczynski was a killer. All Mendenhall did was not show up for a game in which he was singled out for an offense that the other four guys were just as guilty of, and he made some controversial comments that were not well-received by the largely conservative Steelers' fanbase.

His comments were purely political and have nothing to do with his performance on the field or his head. I think Tomlin unfairly singled him out and used him to make an example about the fumbling thing. I would be annoyed with my employer too, if they only punished me for something that the other guys they chose to promote over me were guilty of as well. That is called a double-standard.

I think if you really want to evaluate Mendy's head and his level of committment to the team-- you should think about the fact that he rushed back in 11 months from an injury and rehab that is normally 18 months. He is only 25 and as he started to get healthy, showed that he is still productive.
he rushed back because it was his contract year, not because he was committed to the team
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sloppyjoe For This Useful Post:
OX1947 (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
he rushed back because it was his contract year, not because he was committed to the team
I have to agree. He was so committed to the team that when he was benched for fumbling and not producing, he didn't bother to show up for the next game at all. Let's not fool ourselves here.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,536 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
Wow as I was driving around at work today I was thinking of possible Steelers RB's for the upcoming year.
They were talking about Danny Woodhead or possibly Bradshaw going to the Jets.
I thought, would it really be that bad to have Mendy back?
Then I said wow the Steelers attitude really changes with players like Mendy and Wallace.
I'd rather give S. Greene a shot if possible.
Could we catch lightening in a bottle again from the Jets like with Farrior?
Shonn Greene = Jonathan Dwyer + more mileage.

Woodhead's a gimmick back, not a lead back.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I have to agree. He was so committed to the team that when he was benched for fumbling and not producing, he didn't bother to show up for the next game at all. Let's not fool ourselves here.
I still don't think you can glean much from that not showing up for the SD game.

He rushed his recovery to be there for the team (you can debate his motives, but without more info-- all you and I can do is make assumptions), only to be singled out for an offense that was by no means unique. It isn't like Mendy was dogging it in any of his previous seasons-- we always got a good effort from him.

Would be different if he were the only one who fumbled in that game, but he was only the 4th Steelers player to put the rock on the ground in that game. For Tomlin to single him out, and in the end, hurt the team by benching our best option at RB, was one of the few moves Tomlin has made since taking over that I will label as "stupid". It looks an awful lot like a double-standard or total hypocrisy.

Whoever pointed out that it seems like Tomlin just does not like Mendy, is absolutely correct I am thinking.

Granted, a no-show is not the correct way to handle that, but I can't really blame him for his reaction.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

For those who think mendenhall fumbles a lot here's a stat.

"So far through five seasons Mendenhall has fumbled the ball nine times and lost seven of those fumbles. That means he fumbles about every 105 times he touches the ball. For a better perspective that number is better than Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, and Jamaal Charles.”

http://steelblitz.com/is-rashard-men...646/2013/02/13

Also another tid bit from this that article

"During Dwyer’s early college career he was a quick power back, but he is about 15-20 pounds heavier now. If the Steelers want a runner that can get to the edge they may have their guy in Dwyer. It will just require Dwyer to drop some weight and get back to sprinting. Dwyer was a All-State sprinter in high school he ran a 10.81 in the 100 meter dash, the second best time in the state of Georgia."
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
For those who think mendenhall fumbles a lot here's a stat.

"So far through five seasons Mendenhall has fumbled the ball nine times and lost seven of those fumbles. That means he fumbles about every 105 times he touches the ball. For a better perspective that number is better than Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, and Jamaal Charles.”

http://steelblitz.com/is-rashard-men...646/2013/02/13

Also another tid bit from this that article

"During Dwyer’s early college career he was a quick power back, but he is about 15-20 pounds heavier now. If the Steelers want a runner that can get to the edge they may have their guy in Dwyer. It will just require Dwyer to drop some weight and get back to sprinting. Dwyer was a All-State sprinter in high school he ran a 10.81 in the 100 meter dash, the second best time in the state of Georgia."
I can agree with this somewhat but it kills me to watch him dance in the backfield looking for and opening. I would love to see his stats on loss yardage it would probably be mind boggling. I just think we need a more productive back then what we got. I was probably one of the biggest Mendy fans they were when we drafted him but I don't feel that way anymore.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
I've recently had a change in heart. I think we may as well give a healthy Mendenhall one more chance. We've got a lot to take care of before the 2013 season begins so maybe wasting a number 1 pick on a half back would be a waste. Mendenhall did have a couple of good seasons before he got sidetracked by injuries and other problems. He should be healthy this coming season so let's throw him back out there and hope he has a come back season. I know I'm doing a complete 180 on this. After all though Mende kicks ass in madden.
Agreed, Mendenhall is going to be 26 this upcoming season. He's still young and has a lot of talent and fits the Steelers run game well. His value has dropped which makes him re-signing even more of a bargain.