Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,910 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their FAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The Bengals are better than the Steelers? You're right, the redheaded step-child Quarterback is better than Roethlisberger. Oh, nevermind the fact that we held AJ Green to one catch for 8 yards when Taylor was healthy, that team is straight up dominate. That secondary - look out. They're so good and not at all overrated.

The Bengals aren't better than the Steelers and it's not even close. Do they have a better front 7? Sure. Do they have a better overall WR corp? No, and despite popular belief, AJ Green is their only surehanded receiver. So, stop with the bullshit after one season because frankly, it's getting old seeing it. It's from the same 4 - 5 guys that make every single topic into a 'x team is better than us because of ridiculously ignorant and stupid x reason'. There's enough threads out there that put the Bengals' and Ravens' balls in your mouth - keep the stupidity in those please.
Any given Sunday - The Bengals defense does deserve praise for bringing their A game and winning it in our house for the last playoff spot. Don't underestimate their D - I agree with you about Dalton and Green - they have yet to beat a dominate defense - meaning -they haven't taken the team on their shoulders against an elite D

Funny thing is - it feels like the emergence of Carson Palmer all over again. Don't worry - Bengals ownership will dump them and start all over again because they overestimated their abilities at such an early stage, and won't give them the time to fully develop. They want what the Steelers and now Ravens have done - but they don't want to have to keep losing playoff games and being "battle tested" to do so. The Ravens won and deserved to because they've been put through the playoff fire for 5 straight seasons - it was only a matter of time. The Bengals are capable of taking the next step if they can get a consistent RB and Dalton another WR threat

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their FAs

Who actually thinks the Ratbirds will be better than us in the upcoming year? Not me. Not by along stretch. People say our defense is getting old. They are losing Lewis and probably Ed Reed. And all of you Hood haters have no clue what you are talking about. He is going nowhere and neither is Heyward. That defense was clicking on all cylinders until the injuries took us out of contention. Who the hell is Josh Victorian? It was not Hood and Heyward that caused that mess. It was the ineffective play of our outside LBs and the loss of Ike Taylor that sunk us last season. So get a clue.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #43
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Who actually thinks the Ratbirds will be better than us in the upcoming year? Not me. Not by along stretch. People say our defense is getting old. They are losing Lewis and probably Ed Reed. And all of you Hood haters have no clue what you are talking about. He is going nowhere and neither is Heyward. That defense was clicking on all cylinders until the injuries took us out of contention. Who the hell is Josh Victorian? It was not Hood and Heyward that caused that mess. It was the ineffective play of our outside LBs and the loss of Ike Taylor that sunk us last season. So get a clue.
Agreed.

Now compare the offenses.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Agreed.

Now compare the offenses.
Ha
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #45
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: “We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team”

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 14, 2013

Steelers’ general manager Kevin Colbert knows he has a daunting task in front of him. While many of the experts are predicting a mass exodus of veterans come March, Colbert believes he can keep the bleeding under control.

He thinks he can strike a balance by using creative thinking when it comes to the salary cap, then the Steelers can keep their top level talent, but Colbert admits some will have to go.

"Last year, we let go of significant players," Colbert said, via Albert Breer of NFL.com. "This year, that may or may not be the case. We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team.

We want to compete every year. And this year, we weren't able to. We didn't get in the playoffs. And that was a failure.”

"But we want to avoid being in a position where we make that one-year, all-in run, then disappear."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._team/12918976
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #46
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,063 Times in 3,447 Posts

in other words, colbert is on top of it and has a plan...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #47
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
in other words, colbert is on top of it and has a plan...
His plan needs to include a good draft.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #48
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,561 Times in 8,578 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
His plan needs to include a good draft.
People are continually complaining about the recent drafts, but while not flashy, they have been pretty darn good.

From left to right: Gilbert, Beachum, Pouncey, DD, Adams. Not flashy, but when is an O-lineman flashy??? Games are won (& lost) in the trenches.

Likewise, Hood & Heyward (although some argue over these two... but, even if deemed good picks, DEs aren't "flashy").

If you want some flash: Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Mike Wallace, and AB.

Also, there have been several good back-up/developmental players: Chris Carter, Stevenson Sylvester, Jason Worilds, Baron Batch, Manny Sanders, Sean Spence, David Paulson, Jonathan Dwyer.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
VaDave (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #49
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,650 Times in 934 Posts

2008 was a bust, other than that I wouldn't exactly call them lousy. Yep, he missed on and at a few picks leaving some players that turned out well on the board, but name one GM that hasn't?

The deal this year is I'm afraid is we are going to have more holes that can be filled with draft picks. Our track record on bringing in front line FA talent ,other than Bettis, Farrior, and Hartings, has been a collection of castoffs and guys with one year left in the tank. We don't have a lot of cash to toss at it either.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #50
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,910 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I have faith we will see no worse than an 8-8 record again. I really believe we'll at least be back at a wild card spot.

Do I want 12-4 and #2 seed every season - sure - but just not a realistic wish

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
VaDave (02-15-2013)