Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: Remember the good old days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
It was a 'struggle' compared to past years, but 'in a vacuum' the Steelers were still in the top-half of the league overall.

Scoring roughly the league AVG on offense and allowing less than league averages across the board defensively don't seem like 'struggle' to me, just 'disappointment' (offensively). More specifically, even the time frame where the offense clearly did struggle was AFTER Big Ben got injured, so... yeah, obviously. Shit happens.

Comparatively, the New York Jets (among other teams) STRUGGLED on offense. The Steelers were just average (and better than average pre-Big Ben injury).

Sorry to pick nits, and I know this is the internet and all, but there are easily 10-15 other teams who were [far] worse than the Steelers and who would have loved to 'struggle' like they did this last year and only miss the playoffs by a game.
I think the team as it stands is bottom 10 in the NFL. If they had made the playoffs, it wouldn't have been favorable as the team was trending down at the end of the season. I think the saying goes 'Go into the playoffs hot' and the Steelers were ice cold
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,671 Times in 10,410 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I think the team as it stands is bottom 10 in the NFL. If they had made the playoffs, it wouldn't have been favorable as the team was trending down at the end of the season. I think the saying goes 'Go into the playoffs hot' and the Steelers were ice cold
Before the BB injury, they were rolling... and several ESPN analysts were picking the Steelers to win it all.

Of course, some people will swear & aver that losing BB (& his subsequent injury-plagued return) had nothing to do with the "cold" finish to the season.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Years of failed drafts to create depth or replace the aging vets.

The poor planning is more failure to plan for contingents when Big Ben gets injured.

That said, the aging vets and average backups performed pretty admirably. 8-8 is a 'failure' if the goal was to win it all, but is still a solid season.

Your question is valid, but as of yet this was only the second time where the Steelers have had a .500 season since winning SB XL.

The Steelers can overcome said deficiencies rather easily, hence my gripe with the 'woe is us' crowd.

The Steelers are fine.
To your point, even the backup plan was so close to still eeking out the last playoff spot- we still could have won that game at home against Bmore with Leftwich, still could have beat Cleveland despite 8 turnovers, won at Bmore with Charlie - it was a season of ups and downs - notice the "could haves" - I was really disappointed in our WR/RB corp this season - no one on that side of the ball had risen to the occasion during Ben's absence and after his return - that was the difference IMO. No one helped take the pressure off of Leftwich or Charlie - no one stepped up on O like in 2010 during Ben's 4-gamer.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
To your point, even the backup plan was so close to still eeking out the last playoff spot- we still could have won that game at home against Bmore with Leftwich, still could have beat Cleveland despite 8 turnovers, won at Bmore with Charlie - it was a season of ups and downs - notice the "could haves" - I was really disappointed in our WR/RB corp this season - no one on that side of the ball had risen to the occasion during Ben's absence and after his return - that was the difference IMO. No one helped take the pressure off of Leftwich or Charlie - no one stepped up on O like in 2010 during Ben's 4-gamer.
Agreed.

The team has become so dependent on Big Ben that the season was doomed with his injury.

Still, it was a close race to the finish and one which bodes well should the team stay healthy and/or find suitable replacements for those who are 'breaking down'.

Also, I should edit my statement from 'failed drafts' to 'mediocre drafts'. It's unfair to say that the Steelers (overall) have 'failed' in drafts, just mostly drafted replacement-level players.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,206 Posts

Quote:
Could not disagree more and here's why:

JAX, KC, OAK, PHI, AZ, BUF, NYJ, CLE, TEN and IND (statistically)... that's 10 teams who were easily worse than PIT last year (with CAR, DAL, DET, MIA, NO, SD, STL and TB in the 'worse than' discussion as well). So PIT is maybe, at worst, 11th worst team.

More importantly, even if the Steelers were 'bottom 10' last year, the Colts were the WORST team in 2011 and, with a whole lot of Luck (pun intended), they made the playoffs in 2012.

It's rather obvious that the Steelers are on the down slope of their run with their championship Corps (Troy, Hampton, Debo, etc.), but it's not over yet. 'Struggles' aside they were literally one or two plays away from the playoffs and we know that just getting into the playoffs is all some teams need (Giants x2, Ravens...).

2012 was a disappointing and frustrating season. It was a 'failed' season if the expectation was 'everything or nothing'. But, 'in a vacuum' it was, as is often the case for any team, just another season.

Not good, not bad, not great or terrible. As Stringer Bell would say, it was a 40 degree day.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,085 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
I seem to remember a certain team that went into the playoffs having lost five of their final six games. That's about as cold as a team can get going into the playoffs, yet that team went on to win the superbowl. Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new season, and what happened in the regular season no longer matters. Is it likely that the Steelers would have made too much noise in the playoffs? No, but for all we know, they could have gone on a tear all the way to a superbowl win, just like the Ravens did this recent postseason.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,666 Times in 4,664 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
I seem to remember a certain team that went into the playoffs having lost five of their final six games. That's about as cold as a team can get going into the playoffs, yet that team went on to win the superbowl. Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new season, and what happened in the regular season no longer matters. Is it likely that the Steelers would have made too much noise in the playoffs? No, but for all we know, they could have gone on a tear all the way to a superbowl win, just like the Ravens did this recent postseason.
I absolutely agree. You have to get into the playoffs. I remember reading on here that some ppl didn't even want to make the playoffs because they thought it would be just like the year before against Denver. I can understand not wanting to be embarrased in such a big game, but if you make the playoffs anything can happen.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote