Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #61
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their FAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We haven't drafted well in the last five years? How about finding two Pro Bowl WRs in the third and sixth round? Or, drafting a CB with the most pass defensed in the league in the third round? Here's my favorite, though - drafting another CB who is quite possibly the best on the team, in the third round. Then, picking up our future NT that consistently makes plays in the backfield and disrupts the offensive line every time he's on the field after the draft.

Counting out Heyward and Hood is a mistake. Saying we haven't drafted well recently is a mistake. Colbert may have missed on a couple of early picks and guys like Richard Sherman, but overall, the drafts haven't been bad. Actually, they've been pretty damn good.
Wallace and Brown are not bad picks, but they are highly overrated as this season showed.

Hood is not a bad pick, Hey ward needs to play this year!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #62
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Default Re: Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their FAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
1. Still, when he got to start, he played well. It's not like he played poorly. I do not see how a player having a good year makes him a bad pick.

2. Says you. I've heard several analysts (Dilfer, Cosell) talk admirably about Pittsburgh's depth.

3. See above.

4. So, the fourth overall pick is better than Wallace. Duh. Come on man... you have to do better than that.

So, a team has some high picks pan out. Okay... and...??? How about the later picks? Plus, how is Gresham any better of a pick than DD or Hood?

5. You also don't get paid to evaluate them...
The Steelers starting lineup is as average as it has been in years. Looking at our defense position by position Lebeau deserves all the credit in the world. So i'm not sure we have great depth.

Wallace and Brown were advertised as superstars, Green is a superstar, Wallace is a low number 1 wideout and Brown an average to good number 2.

DD looked great in college , but got pushed around like a bitch the starts he made at the end of the year. I hope with a injury free camp and season he turns out as projected. So at this point he has showed zip.

Hood is a good player. Questionable number 1 pick, but a good player.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #63
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Wallace and Brown are not bad picks, but they are highly overrated as this season showed.

Hood is not a bad pick, Hey ward needs to play this year!
You're off as usual with respect to our WRs. Brown and Wallace were victims of a flawed system this season. They were also on a team that resembled a MASH unit. You and others say that Ben had a bad year because of a bad OLine and injuries, if that's the case then that surely had an affect on the receiving corps. Besides, these two guys can't reach their full potential in a dink and dunk system, they like to spread the field.

The Steelers have done fairly well with draft picks the past few years.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #64
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
You're off as usual with respect to our WRs. Brown and Wallace were victims of a flawed system this season. They were also on a team that resembled a MASH unit. You and others say that Ben had a bad year because of a bad OLine and injuries, if that's the case then that surely had an affect on the receiving corps. Besides, these two guys can't reach their full potential in a dink and dunk system, they like to spread the field.

The Steelers have done fairly well with draft picks the past few years.
Ben was having an MVP type year up until his injury on week 10.

Injuries to the line or lack of talent in the backfield resulted in BR7 tossing the ball more than normal.

Wallace is great speed, average route running and average hands. Brown seems to be a better route runner and better hands but gets taken out of games way to easily.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #65
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Ben was having an MVP type year up until his injury on week 10.

Injuries to the line or lack of talent in the backfield resulted in BR7 tossing the ball more than normal.

Wallace is great speed, average route running and average hands. Brown seems to be a better route runner and better hands but gets taken out of games way to easily.
Can't have it both ways playa, I guess Ben was tossing the ball to himself b4 the injury? It takes a TEAM of players to win and we have been doing that until this down year.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #66
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Can't have it both ways playa, I guess Ben was tossing the ball to himself b4 the injury? It takes a TEAM of players to win and we have been doing that until this down year.
Ben like any other franchise QB will get any wideout yards. I'm not saying they are bad, just not elite.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #67
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,507 Times in 9,932 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
The Steelers starting lineup is as average as it has been in years. Looking at our defense position by position Lebeau deserves all the credit in the world. So i'm not sure we have great depth.

Wallace and Brown were advertised as superstars, Green is a superstar, Wallace is a low number 1 wideout and Brown an average to good number 2.

DD looked great in college , but got pushed around like a bitch the starts he made at the end of the year. I hope with a injury free camp and season he turns out as projected. So at this point he has showed zip.

Hood is a good player. Questionable number 1 pick, but a good player.
You're not sure... the operative word(s) being "you're." As you stated: "you're" not paid to know who to draft, but people like Cosell & Dilfer are. I'm going to side with them.

Again, you're comparing a #4 overall pick with a R3 pick and a R6 pick. Bang for their buck, Wallace and Brown are great picks. They've each made the Pro-Bowl... which is... uh... good.

At times, DD looked great (goal-line TD where he blew his man backwards, opening a hole for the RB), and at times he got pushed around (Geno Atkins pushes around quite a few people in this league). Agreed: let's see how DD does after an off-season of recovery... and I expect greatness.

Agreed: Heyward needs to start.

Agreed: Hood is a questionable pick (some like him; some don't). But, if one looks at that draft, many of the other options had question marks. I was obviously high on Laurinaitis, but with Timmons & Farrior, there wasn't a pressing need (as there was for a DE). Also, I was high on two O-linemen (Unger & Levitre... as were the Steelers: evidenced by them trading back, once these two were off the board)... but, I would NOT have taken them at 32. Lastly, everyone points to Delmas, Byrd, & McCoy... but, with Troy & Clark in their primes, a safety was not going to see the field, and with Spinny being drafted the year prior, a RB was also not going to be taken that high. SUMMATION: Hood was the highest ranked player who filled a major need. Thus, I really can't argue against that pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #68
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

teegre, I usually agree with your posts. But I gotta admit, I look at the same recent drafts that you do, and I see them as being fairly mediocre. We seem to have difficulty finding young players who can step right in and contribute - at least compared to other teams. Granted, there have been many injuries (DD, Adams, Spence most recently), but there also seems to be quite a bit of disappointment (Gilbert, Hood, so many of our LBs), along with excessively long development time (so many examples to pick from).

And of courser, there's the supersize whiff of the Mendenhall, Sweed year ... even when Mendy departs (oh please, put this to an end), it will still take a year or so for the smell of that draft to dissipate from Heinz field ...

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #69
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

I thought we took Spence too high. I hope he is a contributor.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #70
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
I thought we took Spence too high. I hope he is a contributor.
It would show how much confidence the Steelers have in him in the coming draft.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote