Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,446 Times in 4,042 Posts
Default The Simple Fact of the Matter - A Pass Rusher Will Fall To Us

Here's what it ultimately boils down to - an elite pass rusher will fall to us at 17. Now, the only question here is who that is going to be. There's many theories and speculation right now might be a little bit premature since this is pre-combine, but the logic is still sound: one of the elite pass rushers is going to fall to us. So, let's look at who the elite pass rushers are in 2013 (in no particular order) -

Jarvis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Damontre Moore
Bjoern Werner
Ezekiel Ansah

Now, it's debatable whether or not we're going to have a choice of at least two of these guys with the possibility of three. Realistically, we can rule out a couple of these guys right now. Jarvis Jones, despite his health concerns, will not fall past the Jets at 9. If there's a blue Moon and a complete eclipse on April 25 and he falls, he won't get past the Saints at 15. Period. Now, Damontre Moore's stock was originally sky-high but it has taken a hit. Even still, I don't see him being available at 17. The same could be said for Bjoern Werner who, again, was impressive in his final season with the Seminoles. If we're going to predict the future by looking in the past, pass rushers will fall. Now, I think Ezekiel Ansah is going to raise his stock and continue to impress at the combine and his pro-day, so I figure he's going to be off the board at 17.

I can see three guys being available to us at 17 -

Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo and possibly Damontre Moore depending on whether or not his stock continues to take a hit, but I figure he's going to be off the board by the time we pick. That leaves Bark and Dion as our two choices here. Both are elite pass rushers that need to improve their technique and develop a next-level disengage move while better using their arms, but the potential these two possess are off the charts. I wish I had an answer here, I really do. I just don't know who I'd take. They're both fluid athletes with the same upside and room for improvement. They're roughly the same size and same strength on top of that.

The point is, one of those guys is going to be available to us at 17. I don't think Warmack or Vaccaro will be on the board at 17 so it's down to these two.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586
Default Re: The Simple Fact of the Matter - A Pass Rusher Will Fall To Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Here's what it ultimately boils down to - an elite pass rusher will fall to us at 17. Now, the only question here is who that is going to be. There's many theories and speculation right now might be a little bit premature since this is pre-combine, but the logic is still sound: one of the elite pass rushers is going to fall to us. So, let's look at who the elite pass rushers are in 2013 (in no particular order) -

Jarvis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Damontre Moore
Bjoern Werner
Ezekiel Ansah

Now, it's debatable whether or not we're going to have a choice of at least two of these guys with the possibility of three. Realistically, we can rule out a couple of these guys right now. Jarvis Jones, despite his health concerns, will not fall past the Jets at 9. If there's a blue Moon and a complete eclipse on April 25 and he falls, he won't get past the Saints at 15. Period. Now, Damontre Moore's stock was originally sky-high but it has taken a hit. Even still, I don't see him being available at 17. The same could be said for Bjoern Werner who, again, was impressive in his final season with the Seminoles. If we're going to predict the future by looking in the past, pass rushers will fall. Now, I think Ezekiel Ansah is going to raise his stock and continue to impress at the combine and his pro-day, so I figure he's going to be off the board at 17.

I can see three guys being available to us at 17 -

Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo and possibly Damontre Moore depending on whether or not his stock continues to take a hit, but I figure he's going to be off the board by the time we pick. That leaves Bark and Dion as our two choices here. Both are elite pass rushers that need to improve their technique and develop a next-level disengage move while better using their arms, but the potential these two possess are off the charts. I wish I had an answer here, I really do. I just don't know who I'd take. They're both fluid athletes with the same upside and room for improvement. They're roughly the same size and same strength on top of that.

The point is, one of those guys is going to be available to us at 17. I don't think Warmack or Vaccaro will be on the board at 17 so it's down to these two.
I never say something isn't a possibility, but if we were left we these two guys, I would much rather have Dion Jordan. He has better coverage ability and Jordan and more solid production behind him.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Anybody except Mingo. After watching college tape of Mingo he's by far the least impressive on the list and it shocks me that he was once considered a sure-fire top 5 pick. He's still a good pass-rusher but IMO barely a first round talent and probably not spectacular enough to take over a safety like Vaccaro or Elam.

Realistically I think our pick will be either Jordan or Vaccaro. Jones, Moore, Werner are all top ten talents and after the JPP experiment Ansah will be high on lists too. I've never been big on Jordan and don't like his tape but physically I see why people are so excited about him.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

I agree that an elite pass rusher will fall. But I also think that Warmack will be available at #17. Guard just doesn't get drafted that high. Vaccaro's chance of still being on board at #17 is 50/50.

So it really is a decision between drafting the BPA (Warmack) or need (Pass rusher/ Safety).

I'm glad that I don't need to make that decision.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,446 Times in 4,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
I agree that an elite pass rusher will fall. But I also think that Warmack will be available at #17. Guard just doesn't get drafted that high. Vaccaro's chance of still being on board at #17 is 50/50.

So it really is a decision between drafting the BPA (Warmack) or need (Pass rusher/ Safety).

I'm glad that I don't need to make that decision.
I think that DeCastro falling to us was a minor miracle and I don't expect a Guard of Warmack's or DeCastro's ability to fall again. There's too many teams out there that now need to start rebuilding their offensive line and that starts with Warmack. The Cowboys, Giants, Titans and the Rams are all looking to retool their offensive lines. If he does drop to around 14 - 16, I expect the Cowboys or Giants to trade up and snag him.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I think that DeCastro falling to us was a minor miracle and I don't expect a Guard of Warmack's or DeCastro's ability to fall again. There's too many teams out there that now need to start rebuilding their offensive line and that starts with Warmack. The Cowboys, Giants, Titans and the Rams are all looking to retool their offensive lines. If he does drop to around 14 - 16, I expect the Cowboys or Giants to trade up and snag him.
DeCastro's falling was a minor miracle to us because we picked at #24 last year. This time the Steeler will pick at #17 and this position actually is the range of picking the top guard in the draft. No guard was drafted higher than #15 since 1998.

1998 - Mo Collins (#23)
1999 - Matt Stinchcomb (#18)
2000 - Travis Claridge (#37)
2001 - Steve Hutchinson (#17)
2002 - Kendall Simmons (#30)
2003 - Eric Steinbach (#33)
2004 - Shawn Andrews (#16)
2005 - Logan Mankins (#32)
2006 - Davin Joseph (#23)
2007 - Ben Grubbs (#29)
2008 - Branden Albert (#15)
2009 - Andy Levitre (#51)
2010 - Mike Iupati (#17)
2011 - Danny Watkins (#23)
2012 - David DeCastro (#24)

Every years there are teams that want to re-build their OL. But history shows that teams just didn't pick top guard that high.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote