Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #591
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

It's a 4-2 Pens win, I'll take it - and Neal is still on fire

Brent Johnson is a GOD!

kinda scary when his knee got bent around, but he survived
Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #592
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Neal was awesome lastnight.....leads the league in goals...

Might as well dress em in skirts!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #593
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Penguins' Crosby not set on Friday return
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 8, 2011

No concussion symptoms, but also no change in the status of Penguins center Sidney Crosby.

If only there was no more speculation from within the hockey world about him playing against Dallas at Consol Energy Center on Friday night.

"I'd love it to be (Friday)," Crosby said of his anticipated return to games from a concussion that has kept him out of the lineup since Jan. 5. "But I would have loved it to be on the West Coast trip (last week), too — but I didn't play there. There are a lot of different guesses, but everybody else's guess is as good as mine."

Crosby did not rule out playing Friday, but neither did he even slightly hint at that being a realistic possibility.

He was cleared by team physician Dr. Charles Burke, an orthopedic surgeon, for resumption of full-contact practices Oct. 13.

Crosby accompanied the Penguins on their trip to San Jose last week, but left Friday night so he could visit with either Burke or Michael Collins, a clinical psychologist with extensive neuropsychology training who heads the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program, or both.

Crosby has said he visits with members of his concussion team about once weekly, and he confirmed those persons as Burke and/or Collins. Burke clears all Penguins players for return to play, but that will be more procedural in the case of Crosby because of Collins' experience in treating concussion.

"I just tell them how I feel," he said of his visits with Burke and/or Collins. "That's usually how it goes -- give them feedback, let them know how I'm feeling. They usually have tests or ways of evaluating, so they used that too. But it's kind of a combination of what I'm telling them and their expert opinion."

Coach Dan Bylsma said the Penguins are "not waiting on an epiphany to make a decision" on Crosby's return, stressing there remains "no timetable."

Contact remains elusive
During the session Monday, Crosby looked to just dodge a collision with fellow superstar center Evgeni Malkin, but Malkin suggested after practice the near-hit was an accident.

Malkin was just the latest teammates who seemed hesitant to practice physically with Crosby, the team captain and arguably the NHL's most recognized player.

Defenseman Deryk Engelland's shove of Crosby last week caused a stir among the media members who watched practice.

"There are certain players that are more apt to be in physical contact with Sid, and yes ... I have put people against him that will be inclined to bump him," Bylsma said, noting that injured defenseman Ben Lovejoy has filled that role in the past.

Around the boards
Center Jordan Staal and defensemen Zbynek Michalek (broken finger) and Lovejoy (broken wrist) did not practice. Staal, who has battled a lower-body injury, was given a day off for rest. ... Bylsma suggested he was leaning towards using Chris Kunitz and James Neal as Crosby's wingers when Crosby resumes playing games. Steve Sullivan and Tyler Kennedy would play with Malkin. ... The Penguins are off today.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #594
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens move Letestu to Blue Jackets for pick
By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Last updated: 11:34 am

The Penguins possess a surplus of centers, and Mark Letestu was off to a poor start this season.

Something had to give, and it did.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero traded Letestu to the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets for a 2012 fourth-round draft pick Tuesday night.

"Joe (Vitale) was doing good things," Letestu said of his fellow center. "Richard (Park), too. I was the odd man out."

With Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Vitale and Park — to say nothing of Sidney Crosby, who hasn't played since Jan. 5 but might be close to returning from a concussion — the Penguins are loaded at center.

Given Letestu's struggles — his play had dropped significantly from his rookie season, as he hadn't scored a goal in 11 games — it seemed only natural to move him.

The Penguins have given no indication that this move signifies an opening of a roster spot for Crosby.

"This was more about Vitale emerging and Park fitting in so well with our team," Shero said. "Plus, we really like Dustin Jeffrey. It had nothing to do with Sid. We have no roster issues right now."

Letestu said leaving will be difficult.

"I'll miss playing with guys like (Crosby and Malkin)," Letestu said. "They're two of the best players in the world. It was like a bonus getting to watch them play every day. But now, I won't have to be behind those stars anymore, so I might get more of a chance to play."

Rumors had been circulating for days that Letestu could be traded.

"It wasn't rocket science," said Letestu's agent, Al Roy. "They were going to move someone."

Shero said he received calls from numerous teams about Letestu yesterday, and he wanted to act quickly on a deal.

"It wasn't like I was shopping him," Shero said. "But when we do finally get healthy, we would have had a roster issue."

It was no secret that coach Dan Bylsma appreciated Letestu, who was never drafted and worked his way through many seasons in the minors.

"I give Dan credit," Letestu said. "He gave me my start as much as I did. It's tough to leave. I'm very thankful to him."

Letestu had never been traded in a professional career that saw him play portions of five seasons with Penguins minor league affiliates Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AHL) and Wheeling (ECHL).

"I remember the first time I saw him play at Wilkes-Barre," Shero said. "I didn't think he was ever going to play (in the NHL). But he worked his way into a good AHL player and then into a good NHL player. He's a good story. I think this is a great opportunity for him."

A surprise last season, Letestu filled in admirably for Crosby, Malkin and Staal. A sound defensive center, Letestu scored 14 goals in 64 games.

The Penguins (9-3-3, 21 points) have the NHL's best record, while Columbus (2-11-1) has the league's worst mark. But Letestu appreciates the opportunity he may received in Columbus.

"It's a nervous situation to go somewhere new," he said. "But one thing I've learned is that hockey players are an accepting bunch. I'm excited about this."
Placed on assignment

Jeffrey and Steve MacIntyre were assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton by the Penguins on Tuesday night.

Each player was placed with the AHL affiliate on a conditioning assignment and will remain on the active roster and collect an NHL salary through the duration.
Jeffrey has appeared in six games. He has yet to record a point and averaged less than 10 minutes of ice time. He spent the first eight games on injured reserve while recovering from surgery last season to repair torn knee ligaments.

MacIntyre has appeared in just four games. He was signed in the offseason to replace Eric Godard as the club's primary enforcer.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #595
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Neal scores two goals to lift Penguins to win
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 12, 2011

Brilliance wasn't required Friday night from goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, and the Penguins didn't need the possible return of top center Sidney Crosby, either.

A 3-1 victory over Dallas at Consol Energy Center staked the Penguins to their seventh win in nine games — and perhaps confirmed the belief of veteran left wing Brenden Morrow that one of the NHL heavyweights was on the ice last night and the game was a "measuring stick" for his surprising Stars.

The Penguins improved to 33-16-8 in the regular season since Crosby (concussion) last played Jan. 5. This victory was as impressive as any, if only because the Penguins so expertly attacked a weakened opponent.

They turned around the contest in the final six minutes of the second period; the Stars had led, 1-0, but were down to four healthy defensemen after injuries to Alex Goligoski and Mark Fistric.

"We were aware of the situation," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. "It would be our game plan to try and grind a team down (anyway, but) ... when they went down to four, we were in a situation where we had to invest with every puck that we played."

The Penguins also had to pull from their bank of resiliency. Twice — late in the second period and midway through the third — an act by left wing Chris Kunitz denied them a power-play goal. First was his illegal deflection of a shot by center Evgeni Malkin, then his early contact in the blue paint with Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen.

Less than 30 seconds after each incident, Penguins right wing James Neal scored to turn momentum back toward the teammates he joined Feb. 21 after a trade from Dallas that also brought defenseman Matt Niskanen in exchange for Goligoski.

"This is the first time he's (had) a chance to play against them, so his emotions were pretty ramped up," Penguins left wing Matt Cooke said of Neal, who snapped a three-game goal drought with his 10th and 11th. "There (are) few things sweeter than playing against your former team."

Cooke would not use the term "sweet" to describe his move on a penalty shot a couple of minutes after Neal pushed the Penguins ahead in the third period. His juke was not, say, Crosby-esque, but the end result was a shot that eluded Lehtonen and positioned the Penguins to suffocate the Stars with a game-closing combination of puck movement and forechecking.

Fleury needed only make 19 saves for his ninth victory. He has surrendered two or fewer goals in seven of eight starts dating to Oct. 20.

The Penguins play tonight at Carolina, and they again will be without Crosby, who Monday did not rule out the "possibility" of playing against Dallas. Bylsma said Thursday there remains no timetable for Crosby's return.

The Stars, who awoke Friday with the NHL's most points and were 2-0 on a four-game road trip that featured the only win this season by an opponent at Washington, could contend the Penguins are tough enough without arguably the planet's finest player.

As long as Neal and Fleury keep producing as they have early this season and the likes of Cooke and Kunitz keep setting a gritty tone, perhaps these Penguins, even without Crosby, are more than what Morrow described.

Maybe they are the measuring stick.

Read more: Neal scores two goals to lift Penguins to win - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1dUusAxLc

Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #596
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins' frantic rally falls short against Hurricanes
By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 13, 2011

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Staal brothers had their fingerprints all over this one.

Penguins center Jordan Staal's two goals led to a frantic third-period rally, but his big brother had the last laugh by scoring the game-winner late in the third Saturday to give the struggling Hurricanes a 5-3 win.

"We kept finding ways, had a good third period," Jordan Staal said. "Just a bad finish."

Staal scored twice in the third period to pull the Penguins within a goal. Left wing Chris Kunitz then tied the game to finish off an impressive rally against Carolina goalie Cam Ward, who stopped 37 of 40 shots and was spectacular in the opening two periods.

However, Eric Staal scored the game-winner during a wild scramble in front of the net and set up right wing Chad LaRose's late goal to put the contest away.

"It was a pretty hectic third period," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. "It was a little too hectic for us. He (Eric Staal) beats his man up the ice, the end of a tired shift for him. It's a dirty one at the cage, but that's where he's good. He picked up a big one for his team."

Younger brother Jordan almost willed the Penguins to a victory.

Promoted to the top line because of an injury to left wing Steve Sullivan -- Bylsma said Sullivan has a lower body injury and isn't sure of the injury's severity -- Staal immediately clicked with center Evgeni Malkin. The duo has had success before and looked perfectly comfortable when Malkin set up Staal's blast from the point just 1:40 into the third period.

"Geno's not a bad player," Staal said. "He's fun to play with. The way he sees the ice, you just try to get open and he usually takes care of the rest."

But it was Staal who also took care of the Penguins' next goal.

With right wing Arron Asham in the penalty box, Staal took a brilliant feed from left wing Matt Cooke and beat Ward on a clean breakaway, using a backhand shot that went between the goaltender's legs.

The Penguins appreciate Staal's dominant play early this season. He already has eight goals, trailing only right wing James Neal (11) for the team lead.

"He's playing unbelievable right now," right wing Pascal Dupuis said. "He's a force. Usually he is a force, and right now, the puck is going in the net for him. It's nice to see."

The puck hadn't been going in the net much for Eric Staal, who was moved from center to wing yesterday for the first time in his NHL career. Carolina's captain scored perhaps his team's biggest goal of the season to put the Hurricanes ahead. The Hurricanes entered the game having dropped four straight games, and rumors are swirling around Raleigh that coach Paul Maurice's job is in jeopardy.

The Penguins found themselves frustrated to have climbed such a tall mountain, only to fall in the game's final minutes.

"Not to take anything away from them," defenseman Brooks Orpik said, "but it was silly mistakes on our part. Spotting a team a three-goal lead on the road is tough."

Ward was exceptional during the game's first 30 minutes. He stopped Malkin on a breakaway, made a highlight-reel save on Sullivan, and played a role in shutting down the Penguins on a 5-on-3 power play that lasted 1:28.

"We had so many quality chances," defenseman Matt Niskanen said. "He was great."

So was Carolina left wing Jeff Skinner, who scored a goal and set up two others against goalie Brent Johnson, who stopped only 21 of 26 shots.

"Skinner's good," Niskanen said. "We have to play him better next time. We have to do everything better next time."

Read more: Penguins' frantic rally falls short against Hurricanes - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1daaxzU8i

Old 11-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #597
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Sid to return Monday 21 November

4 million scuzz-bucket, rat-bastard Philthadelphians begin drinking heavily
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #598
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
It's a 4-2 Pens win, I'll take it - and Neal is still on fire

Brent Johnson is a GOD!

kinda scary when his knee got bent around, but he survived
I am a big fan of Brent Johnson. Loved when he was with us. I was sad to see him leave after last year, but it was the right move. His performance in net was not as solid as it was in 2010-2011.

I am impressed thus far with Vokoun between the pipes in 2013. He has done a nice job spelling MAF. Keep it rolling!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #599
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Sidney Crosby Named Finalist for Ted Lindsay Award
Thursday, 05.09.2013 / 10:00 AM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins

The National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) announced this morning that Penguins center Sidney Crosby is one of three finalists for the Ted Lindsay Award.

The Ted Lindsay Award is voted on by all NHL players and it goes to the player judged to be the ‘most outstanding player’ in the NHL.

The other finalists are Washington’s Alex Ovechkin and Tampa Bay’s Martin St. Louis – making all three finalists former Ted Lindsay winners.

Crosby, 25, is vying to win the second Ted Lindsay Award of his career. He won his first during the 2006-07 campaign.

Crosby had arguably the most dominant year of his career, finishing the season ranked third (tied) in scoring with 56 points (15G-41A), despite missing the final 12-plus games of the regular season due to a broken jaw suffered on his first shift March 30 against the New York Islanders.

At the time of the injury, Crosby held a 10-point lead in the scoring race over Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos. It took 25 days before St. Louis finally passed him for good on April 24.

Crosby finished the regular season with a league-high 1.56 point-per-game average – the third-highest single-season total of the last 13 years behind only Mario Lemieux’s 1.77 average in 2000-01 and the 1.61 points Crosby averaged in 2010-11.

Crosby, who was already named the Penguins team MVP, finished the season ranked in the top-five in several NHL categories: assists (41; 2nd); plus-minus (plus-26; 4th); and even-strength points (39; t-4th). He was twice honored with monthly NHL awards – ‘First Star’ for March and ‘Second Star’ for February.

Crosby would be the second-straight Penguins player to win the Ted Lindsay Award, following Evgeni Malkin last season. In total, the Penguins have won eight Lindsay Awards – Mario Lemieux (4 times); Jaromir Jagr (2); Crosby (1); Malkin (1) – most of any NHL team.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...it-fb-penguins

Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #600
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Sidney Crosby Named a Finalist for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy
Tuesday, 05.14.2013 / 10:02 AM / News

For the third time in less than a week, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was named a finalist for a major NHL award – this time the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

The Masterton Trophy is awarded each year to the player “who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.” Members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association (PHWA) vote on the winner.

Last week Crosby was named one of three finalists for both the Hart Memorial Trophy (NHL MVP) and the Ted Lindsay Award (NHLPA ‘most outstanding player’).

NHL award winners will be announced in June during the 2013 Stanley Cup Final.

Completely healthy for the first time since early in the 2010-11 season, Crosby had arguably the most-dominant campaign of his NHL career this season, jumping out to a 10-point lead in the NHL scoring race with 56 points (15G-41A) through his first 35 games played.

Although he suffered a broken jaw on the first shift of Pittsburgh’s March 30 game against the Islanders – forcing him to miss the final 12-plus games of the regular season – Crosby still finished third in the scoring race while posting a league-high 1.56 point-per-game average.

Crosby will be attempting to become just the third Penguins player to win the Masterton Trophy – joining Mario Lemieux (1993) and Lowell MacDonald (1973).

In addition to Crosby’s three award nominations, Penguins defenseman Kris Letang is a finalist for the Norris Trophy (NHL’s best defenseman) and Ray Shero is one of three finalists for the NHL’s General Manager of the Year Award.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Closed Thread