Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
Default Re: ESPN Insider: AFC North Holes

I hear ya and could be wrong. Sure hope so because we are going to need this kid to play big.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,293 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
In our defense, as the DL goes, so does our LBs. When the DL is doing it's job our LBs look a whole lot better. I'm not exaclty convinced our DL was that great last year, especially against zone blocking systems.

As for Spence, he's 6'1" and runs a 4.6. Tall TEs like Gronk and Pita will not only have a speed advantage, but also a major height advantage. I'll agree Foote was lacking is pass coverage, as that's never been his strong suit, and he hasn't improved with age for sure.

Spence is looking more like a David Little/ Sam Mills ILB clone
The Jonathan Vilma comparison is the natural. The projection by some that we should draft Arthur Brown from Kansas St is one that I find funny. Basically, the same height, size and tools as Spence. Why draft Brown this year if Spence is already on the roster??
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts

Well for one, he's got this problem with having 90% his knee rebuilt and may not be ready to go when the season starts.... other than that..

I'd forgotton about Vilma, but remember Little and Mills quit well......neither of those two were much of a liability
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

anyone still want to beat their chest and claim we had the #1 defense?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,114 Times in 3,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
anyone still want to beat their chest and claim we had the #1 defense?
we did have high rankings on the defensive side of the ball this season. not sure what your point is
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,357 Posts

again - the rankings are great - and, I got pretty sick to hear Ike Taylor on NFL Access highlighting that fact (as did Ryan Clark) - and, while that's great you don't give up a lot of yards on the ground or through the air - you also didn't get to the QB or steal the ball. That has to change.

How any of them could look at 8-8 and say "but, looky at this" is beyond me. Notice how we haven't heard a peep out of anyone on the O side of the ball.

Hmmm, wonder why?

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,114 Times in 3,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
again - the rankings are great - and, I got pretty sick to hear Ike Taylor on NFL Access highlighting that fact (as did Ryan Clark) - and, while that's great you don't give up a lot of yards on the ground or through the air - you also didn't get to the QB or steal the ball. That has to change.

How any of them could look at 8-8 and say "but, looky at this" is beyond me. Notice how we haven't heard a peep out of anyone on the O side of the ball.

Hmmm, wonder why?
well, after all is said and done the defense gets paid to keep the other team from scoring. We're not going to be able to keep all teams at 0, but if the D ends up 6th in the league in scoring then they've been pretty successful. Does that make an 8-8 season ok? no. But do the players need something to be proud of? yes they are human.

I'll always remember Kevin Greene after we lost to Dallas talking about the D holding Emmit to some 20 yards. I'm sure he would have rather won, but he was proud of the way they played. Same thing with Ike and Clark, they had an 8-8 season but they can still take some things away to be proud of.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #28
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
well, after all is said and done the defense gets paid to keep the other team from scoring. We're not going to be able to keep all teams at 0, but if the D ends up 6th in the league in scoring then they've been pretty successful. Does that make an 8-8 season ok? no. But do the players need something to be proud of? yes they are human.

I'll always remember Kevin Greene after we lost to Dallas talking about the D holding Emmit to some 20 yards. I'm sure he would have rather won, but he was proud of the way they played. Same thing with Ike and Clark, they had an 8-8 season but they can still take some things away to be proud of.
I remember that Kevin Green comment - good points - for me though, I am anxious to see some havoc again to put us over the top

So yea, there's that whole other side of the ball that I've deemed more responsible

Agree to disagree.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #29
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post

You're right, the D played pretty well this season, our O sucked. It is their job to score points and not turn the ball over, they failed. Anyone who doesn't acknowled this is not worth arguing with.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
You're right, the D played pretty well this season, our O sucked. It is their job to score points and not turn the ball over, they failed. Anyone who doesn't acknowled this is not worth arguing with.
little pissy today aren't we?

I'll assume the comment was directed at me since you've replied to some of my other remarks today

If you read my posts like you say you do - you'll remember I've called out the offense plenty of times, in fact its probably a 10 to 1 type ratio over how many types I've griped about the D.

They were great again - and, especially with all the injuries. My hopes are that they find their turnover magic again because I don't see the O living up to their potential based on what I've witnessed - under achieving season after under achieving season,l regardless of who is at O-coordinator

Agree to disagree.