Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,822 Times in 4,820 Posts
Default Mike Adams Ready to Step Up, Take on Starting RT Duties

The original article was headlined poorly and misquoted Adams on what he really said. PFT's Michael David Smith had headlined the article - "Mike Adams sees himself becoming an All-Pro tackle" when in reality, Mike had simply said being an All-Pro and Pro Bowl Tackle is always the goal. Anyway, here's the original article.

Mike Adams sees himself becoming an All-Pro tackle

Posted by Michael David Smith

Steelers offensive tackle Mike Adams had an up-and-down rookie season in 2012, but he thinks he’s going to have more ups than downs going forward.

Adams told the team’s website that he believes he can become one of the NFL’s elite linemen.

“That is always a goal, All Pro and Pro Bowl,” said Adams. “That should be a goal for every player. Everybody should want to be great at what they do. We should all strive to be the best.”

Adams said that the ankle injury that derailed his rookie season was tougher on him mentally than it was physically, but he expects to come back better.

“It was pretty rough,” said Adams. “For me it was pretty devastating mentally. You watch your team practice every day and you want to be out there but you can’t. You kind of feel isolated, especially after a couple of weeks. You are just watching the days go by wondering when you are going to feel better. You just have to keep your mind right and keep pushing to get that thing right. There isn’t much you can do about it but try and get back. It makes you stronger.”

The Steelers, who are undergoing a youth movement on the offensive line, are counting on Adams to get a lot stronger.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ll-pro-tackle/

-- A couple of things here. One, it's great that our younger guys have the 'we always have to get better and improve' attitude that seems to have started with AB and is trickling down to the rest of our roster. But, more importantly, I think Adams is right. He was a square peg in a round hole playing for Ohio State at LT when he has the strength and size to be a solid run-blocking RT for us. Every snap it seemed like Adams was improving his technique and ability. Granted, Miller was babysitting Mike there for a little while but I honestly think that under Bicknell, this dude has the potential and ceiling to be an All-Pro & Pro Bowl RT. What's even better, though - he has the drive to be.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,743 Times in 4,698 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Mike Adams Ready to Step Up, Take on Starting RT Duties

I hope he can continue to get better on the pass-blocking. Most of all I'd like to see these linemen stay healthy for a whole season. I think if they do that, they will play so much better as a unit.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

He will be fine
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,846 Posts
My Mood: Amused

He has all the physial skills. I think he has a chance to be an excellent RT. If DeCastro and Adams can stay healthy and be in the lineup for an extended period of time with Pouncy and crew, the offensive line could end up being a strength for this team. They need to all play together to really come together as a unit. Let's hope this can happen for the first time in what seems like forever.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,960 Times in 6,132 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Adams sets his sights high

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

For most rookies the first year in the NFL is filled with growing pains, brought on by the challenge of learning a new offensive scheme, adjusting to football now being a job, intense competition on a daily basis and a laundry list of other things.

Mike Adams was no different than any rookie last year, when the second-round draft pick from Ohio State had his bumps in the road to deal with. But he came through it all relatively unscathed.

Adams got off to a bit of a rocky start when he was thrown into the fire in the season opener against the Denver Broncos after right tackle Marcus Gilbertinjured his knee. His performance wasn’t the stuff highlight films are made of, but it didn’t deter Adams. It just made him stronger.

Adams once again found himself in the spotlight when the Steelers played the Cincinnati Bengals on Oct. 21, making his first NFL start with Gilbert sidelined with a knee injury. This time the results were different as Adams was part of a line that helped the Steelers gain 167 yards on the ground en route to a 24-17 win.

“A lot of the adjustments last year had to do with the mental game and getting comfortable with that,” said Adams. “Plus it’s getting used to everybody being great players. In the NFL everyone is the best of the best. Overall those were the toughest things. But I thought it went all right.”

Just as his game was progressing Adams had a setback, suffering an ankle injury against Cleveland on Nov. 25 and wouldn’t play again the remainder of the season.

“It was pretty rough,” said Adams. “For me it was pretty devastating mentally. You watch your team practice every day and you want to be out there but you can’t. You kind of feel isolated, especially after a couple of weeks. You are just watching the days go by wondering when you are going to feel better.

“You just have to keep your mind right and keep pushing to get that thing right. There isn’t much you can do about it but try and get back. It makes you stronger.”

Heading in to year two Adams is feeling strong and is back on track. He continues to work on the mental aspect of the game, as well as keeping himself in the best shape possible.

“For me it’s about improving on everything, especially the little things,” said Adams. “I need to be on top of all of my assignments from day one and being physically ready. Now I have an idea of what is going on and what to expect and I am really looking forward to it.”

Adams is anxious to get to work with new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell when offseason workouts begin. Adams had the chance to get to know him prior to the draft last year and was impressed. His goal is to impress Bicknell enough to earn a starting spot, preferably at left tackle where soon-to-be free agent Max Starks started every game last year. But he is willing to play wherever he is needed.

“Starting is definitely where I see myself and that is my goal,” said Adams. “That is something I am going to work really hard to do. Getting a taste of playing last year, this year I would like to be out there for all 16 games and through the playoffs.

“Everyone has a preference of where they want to play. I played left tackle all through college. Whatever side it is I am fine with. I just want to play some ball.”

He is well aware the offensive line needs to improve from last year, especially to help the running game get rolling, and he sees that happening. He liked some of the spurts they had, but knows consistency is a key and it starts up front. A recent trip to the Pro Bowl for the line, courtesy of starting Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, was the perfect starting point.

“The camaraderie started to develop last year, and before I got here, but we have all had a chance to get to know each other outside of football now with the offseason,” said Adams. “We are a close knit group, a great group of guys and we gel well together.

“We had a great time out there in Hawaii thanks to Maurkice. That was a great time to all be together. Not many guys do something like that for that many guys. I think that speaks volumes about how close we are and how much we care about each other for him to want us out there with him to enjoy it with him.”

The trip also made Adams realize that next time he goes to the Pro Bowl he wants to be playing in the game.

“That is always a goal, All Pro and Pro Bowl,” said Adams. “That should be a goal for every player. Everybody should want to be great at what they do. We should all strive to be the best.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...5-11b9434200bf
Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
He has all the physial skills. I think he has a chance to be an excellent RT. If DeCastro and Adams can stay healthy and be in the lineup for an extended period of time with Pouncy and crew, the offensive line could end up being a strength for this team. They need to all play together to really come together as a unit. Let's hope this can happen for the first time in what seems like forever.
Lets hope Adams becomes what the Steelers thought he could be. Work ethic is the key with him.

DeCastro has the work ethic and the history of success. Anything less than an ALL-PRO would be a huge disappointment.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I was hoping Adams would be the LT, because Gilbert's big second year regression was really disappointing. Hopefully both of these guys will improve, and we'll be happy either way.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,822 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I was hoping Adams would be the LT, because Gilbert's big second year regression was really disappointing. Hopefully both of these guys will improve, and we'll be happy either way.
This is a fair point. I think Gilbert was playing with a nagging injury, though which is why it seemed like this year he regressed. That, and he kept taking everyone else on our line out. I'm hoping he's our anchor at LT for the next decade and I think he can be.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Yeehaw

Adams needs to step up,matter of fact all the offensive lineman need to step up due to the fact they looked like a bunch of punters trying to run block. If the Steelers draft a guy like Lacy he's gonna need good run blocking and an effective run game takes a lot of pressure of of Ben
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Steelers Mike Adams Fine With Playing On Left Or Right Side In 2013
Monday, February 18th, 2013 at 3:05 pm by Dave Bryan

It was an up and down season for Pittsburgh Steelers rookie tackle Mike Adams, who had his year come crashing to a halt after injuring his ankle in the Week 12 game against the Cleveland Browns, but the Ohio State product is already looking forward to the 2013.

Adams saw all of his playing time at right tackle in 2012 thanks to Marcus Gilbert being injured early on in the season, but he remains uncertain which side he will play on in 2013.

"Everyone has a preference of where they want to play, Adams said, via steelers.com. "I played left tackle all through college. Whatever side it is I am fine with. I just want to play some ball."

Most of the Pittsburgh media seem to think that Gilbert will switch sides and be the left tackle in 2013 with Adams playing on the right side, but I have long said that I think it will wind up being the other way around. Adams, as he pointed out, is a natural left tackle, who just needs to refine his game, most noticeable the pass protection portion of it. Gilbert seems much better suited for the right side, but ultimately new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. will have the final say in all of that.

Regardless of what side that Adams ends up on, he now seems to understand that the level of competition at the NFL level is much different and much more even than it was in college.

"A lot of the adjustments last year had to do with the mental game and getting comfortable with that," said Adams. "Plus it’s getting used to everybody being great players. In the NFL everyone is the best of the best. Overall those were the toughest things. But I thought it went all right."

The Steelers initially took Adams off their draft board last year after he tested positive for marijuana last February at the NFL combine, but they reinstated him after his pre draft visit to Pittsburgh and him adhering to stipulations that the Steelers front office gave him during that meeting. So far everything has worked out well as far as his actions go off the field, but the worry that he will backslide will not go away for a little while longer.

Adams said in his most recent interview that the offensive line unit has developed more camaraderie now and he noted that center Maurkice Pouncey taking the entire unit to the Pro Bowl on his own dime helped bring them all even closer together.

"We had a great time out there in Hawaii thanks to Maurkice, said Adams. "That was a great time to all be together. Not many guys do something like that for that many guys. I think that speaks volumes about how close we are and how much we care about each other for him to want us out there with him to enjoy it with him."

Adams hopes that he can return to Hawaii someday as a Pro Bowler himself, but we all hope that he only gets the nod instead and has to miss the trip due to the Steelers needing to prepare to play in the Super Bowl.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02...ght-side-2013/

Bolded: glad to see one steelers unit becoming a close knit group.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote