Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #51
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111
Default Re: Redskins name change?

The Washington Martials, that name will fit perfectly, we'll just have to see.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #52
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,028 Times in 562 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

I like this article. Remember, according to NBC 90% of Natives do not mind the Redskins name.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...or-easy-target

If they were the Savages or Scalpers I would understand those who are offended, but Redskins was a term USED BY NATIVES to refer to themselves, or by whites the same way you would just say "Blacks" or "Whites". Redskins is NOT a racist term. Is Black offensive? Is white? It's as offensive as "Chiefs". Would the New Orleans Cajuns be offensive? Would the Mexico Aztecs be offensive?

Go Steelers, but I am not afraid to support my hometown and say Hail to the Redskins.
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #53
The_Joker
Team President

MYTH: The Redskins abuse the Native American people and use them as tools and savages for a stupid sports game!

TRUTH: Uh, have you ever seen how the Redskins treat the Native image? Let's look at their fight songs lyrics. "Hail to the Redskins" implies they are worthy of honor. "Hail victory, braves on the warpath, fight for old DC" implies they are victorious warriors fighting for their hometown. I could go on. The original lyrics mentioned scalping, something false and slanderous to the Native image, and was removed very shortly. Every mention of Redskins implies a brave warrior, not a savage.

MYTH: Native Americans find offense to the name Redskins!

TRUTH: Uh... no they don't. According to NBC http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6093796/ 90% of Natives do not mind the term Redskins, or the football teams name. I think they don't mind.

MYTH: YOU'RE RACIST, JERK!

TRUTH: Actually I am a bleeding heart liberal, who has friends of many races and a fascination of Native American culture. I simply think the Redskins team is fine. Nice try though. Look I'd be pretty fucking pissed too if my land was destroyed and my numbers crushed, but I'd also root for a team named the Washington Europeans as well. There is no harm meant, the opposite in fact.

Go Steelers and HTTR.

*PS I wrote this wearing a Steelers jersey, don't say I am not loyal to my favorite team either...*
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #54
The_Joker
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
do native americans take offense to the Red Man brand chewing tobacco?

i'm sure african americans would have a problem if someone made a product called black man chicken wings or something lol
I laughed more than I should.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #55
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa14 View Post
You used to work on a reservation in one part of one state of one country in North America. With that experience you know Native American's collective attitude and experience with this particular moniker? That is gold. The boy growing up on the reservation in Arizona isn't going to have the same experience as a girl in an affluent suburb of Salt-lake city. He isn't going to have the same experience as the lone Native American boy that was in my class in the mid 90's. The kid in my class wasn't part of a collective or reservation. There was no exuded Native American pride. He sure as hell wasn't going to show up in a Redskin's coat or jersey or winter hat. I am relatively sure he would have believed that was the worst thing he could've done. I alluded in a previous post this boy's experience was probably not happening often and not the norm. That doesn't mean we should write him and this ten percent off as an outlier or "whiners". "Redskin" was used against him in a hateful way more than a few times. Just because everything is swell where you come from doesn't mean it's swell everywhere. Maybe "Redskin" is rarely used as a slur in most areas of North America but it was used as one where I grew up. The vernacular and lexicon of a population has huge variations with contrasting populations, even in North America. To label my personal experience as "liberal propaganda" is asinine and ignorant. Maybe I'm wrong and no one outside my hometown has been called "Redskin" in a derogatory manner and the 10% really are a bunch of over-sensitive "whiners" but nothing I've said comes from a political agenda. You don't know my political affiliation but everyone now knows the skewed angle you're coming from. Flame-bait political bullshit is incredibly insipid, try something else.
Well, let's see, my experience: hundreds of male and female Natives Americans of all ages over a several year period. You: one kid in your class. I stand by my experience....it was a widespread sense of pride. It's only a few pc people or some lib needing a cause that make this an issue. You are wrong. "redskin" is not a negative epithet that is used by bigots. Maybe you're just sensitive cause you did grow up in some pocket of racial bigotry. If that's the case, I will give you some latitude for being surrounded by prejudice jerks for your formational years. But for the most part, this stuff is born in the freshman classroom of some liberal prof who tapped into you and others "white guilt" and convinced you that this is some noble, redemptive cause. Again, I INTENTIONALLY AND SPECIFICALLY have asked numerous Native Americans I taught and worked with whether this was an issue. I can honestly say I never encounter a single one who was bothered by it...just the opposite. My guess is that less than 10% of the NA population cares about this at all....its just another case of a few angry people or someone who thinks they're gonna save baby seals and purge the language. And you clearly don't know where I am coming from....since I chose to work with, among and for Native Americans to increase education, reduce poverty, deal with social issues, etc. I remain friends with many of my former Native students and co-workers even though it has been several years since I left the area. They don't agree with your tenth grade classmate and neither do I.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote