Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #121
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,604 Times in 3,102 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

Wallace is not nearly the player Santonio Holmes was for this team. Holmes had better hands, ran better routes, had much better footwork along sidelines and endzone, worked harder to get open, went over the middle to make tough catches, was in another stratosphere when it comes to running after the catch, was an awesome ruturn man, and had a knack for playing his absolute best when it absolutely mattered the most.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #122
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
true, a lot of us as fans won't miss him. What I mean is the team will miss what he brings to the field.
Well, I'll certainly miss what he brings to the field. Well, when he brought it to the field, that is - a season and a half ago. What wonderful memories.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #123
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Wallace is not nearly the player Santonio Holmes was for this team. Holmes had better hands, ran better routes, had much better footwork along sidelines and endzone, worked harder to get open, went over the middle to make tough catches, was in another stratosphere when it comes to running after the catch, was an awesome ruturn man, and had a knack for playing his absolute best when it absolutely mattered the most.
Because Wallace had more catches, yards and touchdowns than Holmes in a 4 year period I'm going to have to disagree with you. In fact, even though Wallace has played 3 fewer seasons than Holmes I am confident he will have more career TDs than his predecessor at the end of next season.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #124
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,604 Times in 3,102 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Because Wallace had more catches, yards and touchdowns than Holmes in a 4 year period I'm going to have to disagree with you. In fact, even though Wallace has played 3 fewer seasons than Holmes I am confident he will have more career TDs than his predecessor at the end of next season.
I understand your points. But if you see how I list my reasons, it's not about pure numbers. I think Holmes made everyone better. He was also the guy that was double teamed a ton, while not running the less demanding deep balls. He took more contact and made more tough catches and runs in his years in Pittsburgh than Wallace might have in his whole career. You have to admit, Wallace does not run over the middle much, and almost never catches the ball if a defender touches or hits him while in the act of catching. Holmes made many great catches while taking tremendous hits. If Wallace ever figures this whole game out, he can be a real gamechanger. Frankly, I think he lost his confidence about a year and a half ago. With all the contract talks and false bravado while facing the cameras and microphones, I think he definitely was affected by the pressure. The really great players in this game have an unwavering confidence that allows them to succeed even after massive screwups. It's how they're wired. Wallace doesn't have that. He may someday, but right now he talks and negotiates like he's "The Man", but in his heart I don't think HE believes it. I hope he develops and becomes all he can be. I also would love to see him do it with the Steelers if I thought he had it in him. I just don't think he has the drive and mental and physical toughness to earn and deserve the money he's asking for. It's too big of a risk to pay him with what we've seen out of him for a year and a half now. It's nothing personal, because I actually like the guy. He hasn't been a jerk, and he doesn't get in trouble. I think he listened to his agent and priced himself out of what might be the best situation he may ever have the chance to play in.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #125
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I think Megatron has a legitimate shot at breaking most, if not all, of Rice's records. I mean, he was only what? 60-odd yards short of 2000 in a single season? A lot of people thought that wouldn't ever be possible, either.

If anyone is going to do it, it'll be CJ.
No. Not going to happen, and certainly not by a guy who's 6-5, 240. His knees will give out way before that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Agreed. Moss broke his Rices touchdown record and CJ Broke his yards in a season record last year. I think before CJ retires he will own almost every record. Rice is awesome but Megatron is the most dominant WR Ihave ever seen . EVER
The single-season stuff will drop over time, but not the career stats. Randy Moss in his prime, with the NFL's best passing QB throwing to him, on an offense running on crack, beat Rice's receiving TDs record by one. Which is to say even the single-season stuff will take time.

Not to mention how the rules have been bent since Rice's time to distort the game. Rice started to see the beginnings of these rule changes before retiring, but he didn't he didn't really benefit from them. Ranking cross-generationally is tricky, probably impossible.