Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,426 Times in 4,456 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year

Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2013

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown says his third year with the team was a lot different than his first two.

Brown said on SportsCenter today that Pittsburgh’s locker room was fractured in the 2012 season, in a way he hadn’t seen previously since being drafted by the Steelers in 2010.

“It was definitely different — guys weren’t really together,” Brown said.

Brown said Steelers safety Troy Polamalu was among the veterans who spoke out and tried to explain to the team that selfish behavior wouldn’t be tolerated. But that talk was apparently not enough.

“That’s when you know you’ve got issues and you’ve got to come together as a team. Because the reality of a team game is everyone on the same page, committed to the same thing, dedicated for one goal, and that’s winning,” Brown said.

Although he didn’t name any names, Brown said he thought he had teammates last year who cared more about their individual goals than about the team’s record. And he described going 8-8 as “a bitter taste” that he hopes will motivate all of his teammates to act differently in 2013.

“Everyone in our locker room in 2013 has to understand the value of being in there and what our tradition and history stand for,” Brown said.

Brown said he agrees with Steelers defensive coordinator that the Steelers could have done what the Ravens did and gone on a run to the Super Bowl.

“He’s right on — we definitely had the talent, the pieces in the right place to do some things,” Brown said. “But winning is not talent. It’s all about being on the same page, and each guy having the guy next to him’s back, and being committed to winning. You see a Ravens team that was committed to winning and togetherness, and that’s what it’s all about.”

For Pittsburgh fans, hearing a Steeler say the team needs to be more like the Ravens is, indeed, a bitter pill to swallow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ded-last-year/
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,121 Times in 8,076 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year

This might explain why the Steelers won't even try to resign Eric Green -er- Mike Wallace.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,230 Times in 3,474 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
This might explain why the Steelers won't even try to resign Eric Green -er- Mike Wallace.
i guess so. I have to believe he is talking about Wallace.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Yeah got to think he's talking about Wallace here too. I'm not surprised to hear this. From what I understand, Antonio intends to take on a leadership role this year. I think he can do that.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,357 Times in 2,912 Posts

If someone is going to be a leader and not focus on individual goals maybe consider getting rid of pointing down the field every time you make a decent catch

Sorry to see Troy was ignored when he said to focus on the team

There is one player who probably could have turned that attitude around, but when he spends time bitching about the departed OC and taking shots at the new OC it is hard to then say it is all about team

This off season has been as much of a cluster as the last 2 months of the regular season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,559 Times in 4,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If someone is going to be a leader and not focus on individual goals maybe consider getting rid of pointing down the field every time you make a decent catch
In his defense, Holmes did - and still does - the same thing. I'm sorry, the 'Steeler Way' of the 90's is slowly fading with every draft. The new generation of players and fans don't mind his first down dance or the fact he ran backward 20 yards into the endzone.

Let him do his first down taunt. Who is it hurting?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
lipps83 (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,121 Times in 8,076 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I remember Cowher getting rid of Adrian Cooper... for a 3rd & 6th round pick. Likewise, Eric Green led the team in receptions & yards... and they didn't resign him (nor his "locker room dividing" ways).

Once those "cancers" were shown the door, the team gelled.

In other words: good-bye, Wallace. The team means more than "you."

Like I've said, Wallace produced... but, so did Adrian Cooper & Eric Green. Sometimes, it's a matter if addition by subtraction.

"STEELERS WAY"
Eric Allen was discussing how players talking to the media (Woodley incident) is not the "Steelers way"... and he called the Steelers way the right way. Likewise, Tedy Bruschi & Jason Taylor were saying similar things. All of those analysts said that those malcontents would either be chewed out or shown the door. As Eric Allen summed up: Lombardis are the end-all, be-all for the Steelers... winning the SuperBowl is the only acceptable ending to the season.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

wait a second, though. I saw Brown today (he was in the ESPN studios, so he made the rounds on at least 3 if not more of the shows today - i saw him on 3 different ones, personally.."

-i like Brown - but he wasn't a very good speaker or guest and wasn't very articulate. Certainly not like Ryan Clark or even Ike Taylor, when they do appearances on the shows. He definitely was "very unpolished" to be a TV guest -
My point is that he was asked some questions today by some of the analysts and in my opinion, he didn't seem to give good answers, struggling a bit with the questions they were asking.

At one point he was asked if Tomlin would address the "leaks" and so forth behind closed doors (as everyone else agreed he almost SURELY would) - and Brown kept saying "no, not at all", etc, which i found completely ridiculous and hard to believe.
When he commented about the locker room being "divided", it didn't so much as seem that he said it was, he seemed to give in to the question more.

I took all Brown's comments with a grain of salt.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Sad to see the mess not being corrected by Tomlin.

But at least he probably goes out to the bar with the boys on the weekends.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

this has way more to do with just mike wallace. him, brown, sanders, and that tool wes saunders LOVED embracing and promoting the "YOUNG MONEY CREW".

hell some players were more concerned with their social profile stats than stats on the field (saunders- prime example). they believed their own self promotion and hype before they even did jack shit on the field, constantly trying to score pu$$y for nothing more than being signed and flashing some cash (marcus gilbert?)

pouncey was ripped for promoting his rapper friends new album via social media mere hours after the playoff loss to denver. gilbert ripped the city of pgh for having a lame social and nightlife compared to florida.

you have a young secondary who cant relate with and share completely different interests with the likes of ike and family men troy and clark.

the white veterans like ben, keisel, legursky, and then harrison have common interests in outdoors and hunting.

there was a ping pong crew, then you have players who simply seem aloof (mendenhall, miller).

a ton of fans were dying to cut dead weight such as aaron smith, farrior, and ward, but i knew they were the glue. theres a reason tomlin kept smith on the roster and in the locker room and rode the wave all teh way to SB in dallas. (a year our QB who theoretically should be the leader was suspended for 6 weeks- reduced to 4).

i wasnt suprised we were .500. the same shit happened after 2005 when we lost leaders von oelhoffen, bettis, and randel el (who we brought back to help reach the sb again in 2010).

leadership isnt overrrated. it doesnt come in a can and it isnt manufactured. look what it did for ray lewis and the ravens. say what you want about the bastard, but he led them and delivered on his word. suprisingly 2nd year qb big ben did the same in 2005 when he delivered a fairy tale retirement in his hometown of detroit..

then he led by example and crashed and burned. the 2006 steelers did the same.