Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: Mike Wallace is the Dolphins top target

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
They signed Breaston???
Chiefs Release WR Steve Breaston, A Favorite Of Todd Haley
Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 at 6:17 pm by Dave Bryan

Are you ready for more talk about sexy free agent players that the Pittsburgh Steelers might add this offseason? No, I'm not talking about linebacker Bart Scott, who was released by the New York Jets on Tuesday.

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Tuesday that they had released wide receiver Steve Breaston, a Woodland Hills graduate, and he is exactly the kind of potentially cheap free agent player that the Steelers would consider signing this offseason to bolster their depth.

Breaston was a healthy inactive for the Chiefs in six games down the stretch in 2012, and caught just seven passes for 74 yards on 15 targets. The Michigan product, however, had his best years when he played for Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley in 2008 while a member of the Arizona Cardinals and 2011 in Kansas City.

Haley thought so much of Breaston back in 2011 that he signed him to a five-year, $22.55 million contract that contained $9.5 million in guaranteed money. Breaston was scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.8 million in 2013, but he can forget getting a deal like that right now.

The Steelers still have veteran Jerricho Cotchery under contract for 2013, but there is a chance that he could become a salary cap causality at the beginning of March as he is due to earn a base salary of $1 million. If that indeed were to come to fruition then Breaston could be a minimum contract free agent addition.

Free agent players such as Breaston are the kind that the Steelers add during the offseason. The 2012 high profile signing made by the Steelers was tight end Leonard Pope, who curiously also played under Haley in both Arizona and Kansas City.

Do I think it is for certain that Breaston will be signed? No, but these are the kind of free agent players that the Steelers would like to add, if they add any at all. They're inexpensive depth guys that understand the system.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02...rs-todd-haley/
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post

Are you ready for more talk about sexy free agent players that the Pittsburgh Steelers might add this offseason? No, I'm not talking about linebacker Bart Scott, who was released by the New York Jets on Tuesday.

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Tuesday that they had released wide receiver Steve Breaston, a Woodland Hills graduate, and he is exactly the kind of potentially cheap free agent player that the Steelers would consider signing this offseason to bolster their depth.

Breaston was a healthy inactive for the Chiefs in six games down the stretch in 2012, and caught just seven passes for 74 yards on 15 targets. The Michigan product, however, had his best years when he played for Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley in 2008 while a member of the Arizona Cardinals and 2011 in Kansas City.

Haley thought so much of Breaston back in 2011 that he signed him to a five-year, $22.55 million contract that contained $9.5 million in guaranteed money. Breaston was scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.8 million in 2013, but he can forget getting a deal like that right now.

The Steelers still have veteran Jerricho Cotchery under contract for 2013, but there is a chance that he could become a salary cap causality at the beginning of March as he is due to earn a base salary of $1 million. If that indeed were to come to fruition then Breaston could be a minimum contract free agent addition.

Free agent players such as Breaston are the kind that the Steelers add during the offseason. The 2012 high profile signing made by the Steelers was tight end Leonard Pope, who curiously also played under Haley in both Arizona and Kansas City.

Do I think it is for certain that Breaston will be signed? No, but these are the kind of free agent players that the Steelers would like to add, if they add any at all. They're inexpensive depth guys that understand the system.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02...rs-todd-haley/
It wouldn't surprise me if we got Breaston. I know we normally don't do FA but Breaston is from the area and spoke highly of Haley after we drafted his cousin last year. Do we still have Toney Clemmons on the PS?
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

the talk of Wallace going to Miami is gaining steam by the minute. The team really wants him (they know that Tannehill needs a playmaker), and they want some speed on the ends too.
They have the cap room, a good number of draft picks, they need a play-making receiver, and are now seemingly letting all media know that they want him. Goodbye Mike. He's gone. As long as him and his agent aren't overly greedy, it would be shocking NOT to see him go there.

The only other team i could see stepping in and also making an offer is Minnesota, who also have the cap room and are seeking a weapon for Christian Ponder.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,281 Times in 628 Posts

Its no surprise that Miami wants Wallace as they saw it up close....Wallace served up his biggest pieces of burnt toast against them

Our Offense is going to have to find a way to make up for the loss.....whether it be a new WR from the draft or a stronger O-Line and running game

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,627 Times in 10,392 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
Our Offense is going to have to find a way to make up for the loss.....whether it be a new WR from the draft or a stronger O-Line and running game
The latter seems to be the current direction... although, Colbert mentioned drafting a WR early, as well.

Thus, BOTH.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
A good QB makes WR's better. Just look at the scrubs that Peyton manning has made look great. Brandon Stokely, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie. WR is the most overrated position on the field.

Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Tony Clemons and Steve Breaston will be fine.
The jury is out on Collie, but Stokely is about average although somewhat reliable receiver.

Garcon, however, is awesome. You clearly didn't watch him this year. When he was on the field, that Redskins offense got a monstrous boost.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #27
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,026 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Fast Money in South Beach.

Sounds like it might make a good reality show.

Lots of bling and nightlife action.

Oh Mikey, we're going to miss you sooooo much in Steeler Nation.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It may have been Kordell and the post-Chan Gailey OCs more than the WRs, but after Thigpen left following the 1997 season the Steelers passing game was a mess until 2001.

Brown and Sanders as the starting WRs is not the best of all possible worlds for 2013.

Wallace costs too much to keep but he will be missed
Maybe the post-Gailey OCs and the WRs were problems, but it's hard to know. When you have a QB that simply cannot hit a moving target, any other problems are masked.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I 'm going to be sorry to see Wallace go, but I just can't see how it works out for him in Pittsburgh. I've given up hope. He won't play well unless he's happy, and he won't be happy unless he's greatly overpaid - and his performance over the past two seasons has been such that you can't feel good about taking the chance to overpay him. And in fact, he should be worth a lot less today than he was a year ago.

Just a bummer all around, but the Steelers need productive, happy players who want to contribute. Just a bad situation. Wish him good lock in Miama, but it would have been so wonderful it it had worked out here here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post

If we can't afford Cotchery for $1 mil, then we are screwed - because that's an excellent value.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,560 Times in 4,616 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I

If we can't afford Cotchery for $1 mil, then we are screwed - because that's an excellent value.
I agree. Maybe it's something I'm not seeing, but Cotchery brings depth and experience to the WRs. He's not blazing fast, but other than that is there a downside to his game that I don't know about?
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote