Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Steelers Draft priority: find a starting runningback

While I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a RB, I don't see this position as being that big of an issue, because in my mind Redman and Dwyer are a good enough of a 1-2 punch tandem. Remember, the Colts won the SB in '06 simply using a 1-2 RB combo of Rhodes and Addai, and I see our tandem being slightly better than that, so all we need is Ben to use them as smartly as Peyton used his.
Steel Peon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,047 Times in 3,730 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
While I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a RB, I don't see this position as being that big of an issue, because in my mind Redman and Dwyer are a good enough of a 1-2 punch tandem. Remember, the Colts won the SB in '06 simply using a 1-2 RB combo of Rhodes and Addai, and I see our tandem being slightly better than that, so all we need is Ben to use them as smartly as Peyton used his.
I hope you're right, but I see the RB position as the most important issue on the offensive side of the ball this offseason. Can Dwyer and Redman pull it together? Were they the problem to begin with or was it all the injuries on the O-line?

The Steelers are forced to address the issue one way or another, and I have faith that they will give Ben a chance to run a top notch NFL offense.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
Back in '06 Addai was actually good. And our running game is going NOWHERE if we keep this roster. The OLine currently will be worse than last year (Colon was the ONLY reason we had anything resembling a running game at any point this season) and Dwyer/Redman aren't going to get any better, they might have a good game or two but in the end we'll be sitting here next offseason having the same arguments. Only chance is to draft somebody, be it a stud guard (Warmack) to open up running lanes better or a new RB altogether..
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Finding a starting running back is like #11 on our list of 10 things to do. Completely silly.

We need to build an OL and offensive system that will enable an NFL-caliber back to succeed - among other important priorities. And we already have two NFL-caliber NFL backs without head problems in Dwyer and Redman. RIght, Batch can't hit a hole, and lets not even talk about the multi-level Mendenhall disaster. The real problem is that we have no reliable way to create holes.

Seriously, a completely silly article.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #15
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I think a outside linebacker and a safety is a must in round one and two. Depending on who falls will decide who we grab first. A lot of members are talking about another offensive lineman but I think we have much bigger needs
I'm one of those who is still worried about the OL. I intend to make a post specifically about this, but we're still only 50% there in terms of starters - and that's without addressing depth.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Steeldude
Living Legend

No reason to pick a RB in the early rounds. Improve the O-line and the running game will improve.

RB is far down on the priority list.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

i agree with improving the o line... but I think we can see a major improvement by simply staying healthy.

gilbert, decastro, adams, pouncey all have missed time.

thats 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks... i mean i cant see using a 5th early round pick in 3 years to improve this old line..
having decastro for a full year hopefully will be like drafting an olinemen this year.

it doesnt hurt to bring in another rb though like a lattimore where he doesnt need to be the go to guy immediately.
a improved o line will make these guys look better. just feel like we gotta get younger on defense first before adding more o linemen

at some people these guys need to stay healthy.. and if we do draft another o line in round 1.

we better not draft another linemen in the first 2 rounds for the next decade

Last edited by ebsteelers; 02-21-2013 at 08:07 AM.
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I agree with a lot of what you posted: OLB, S, and then a RB. And, Lattimore in R3 is what I'm thinking, too.
obviously it comes to down to who is around when we pick
but a draft in some sort of order like that, would go a long way to making us younger and better.
a trade down would always be nice to add more depth and get younger all around

as i stated previously, o line needs to stay healthy as well
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,023 Times in 4,673 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Graham to Steelers: 'Come and Get Me'

Ray Graham on the loose (DiNovo/USA TODAY Sports)

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Feb 23, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS – Ray Graham used to walk past the Steelers’ practice field, on his way to the Pitt practice field, and he’d sneak a peek – or three.

“Ray, get your nose on your own practice field!” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would holler, and then in all seriousness Tomlin would add: “You’re not on this team!”

Tomlin would turn back to the reporters standing next to him along the Steelers’ sideline and chuckle.

“The guys who keep looking over here, who think they belong over here, those are the guys who do belong,” Tomlin said. “Shady was the same way. One time I walked in the training room and he was in the whirlpool with Willie Parker. I said, ‘Shady, get outta here.’”

LeSean “Shady” McCoy would look good in a Steelers uniform about now.

Hey, so would Dion Lewis.

LaRod Stephens-Howling anyone?

Yes, the Steelers, with three free agents and without a jettisoned Chris Rainey, are in a bind at running back. They could use any of the aforementioned Pitt men.

How about it, Ray?

“It’d be great,” said Graham. “I’ve been there and seen a lot of practices, so I felt like I’ve been a part of it already. I already visioned it.”

Graham was specific with his wording. He didn’t mean EN-vision. His emphasis was more akin to tunnel-vision.

“I’m always talking about vision,” Graham said. “That’s always the thing in the Bible. You’re supposed to have vision, vision that you put into reality. That’s why you dream big, man. I just think that, so, yeah, I believe it.

“I was on his field,” Graham continued. “I practiced on his field. So one day when I’m on his field again it’ll be second nature to me.”

So, Graham remembers Tomlin’s teasing?

“Oh, yeah,” Graham said with a chuckle. “He was always bothering me. Coach Mike, man, he’s a great guy. I get a kick out of Coach Mike. He’s a good dude. He knows how to turn it on. He knows how to motivate you.”

Graham has never been the type to need motivation. The half-brother of Rutgers linebacker prospect Khaseem Graham and son of former Purdue running back Raymond Graham loves the game, says “it’s where I can be free.” He even gives his moves names.

“I name them as I go,” Graham said. “I don’t really have a favorite move; I just like my chances one-on-one. I just think I’m going to get the best of you.”

Graham hopes to follow McCoy, Stephens-Howling and Lewis into the NFL, and succeed, as they are.

Graham, at 5-9, 199, fits right in with the group, size-wise, and statistically he finished ahead of all of them. Graham’s 3,271 rushing yards and 4,943 all-purpose yards both rank second in school history behind Tony Dorsett.

Graham showed up at the NFL Combine about 10 pounds over his playing weight last season, but just above the 197 he was playing at as a junior when he tore his right ACL eight weeks into the season.

He returned last year to rush for 1,042 yards, but a hamstring injury took him out of the Compass Bowl. Graham returned to play in the East-West Shrine Game, but fumbled on his first carry.

“Yeah, that killed me,” he said here Friday. “I felt bad, too, man, but you move on. That’s the only thing.”

Ball security isn’t an issue in scouts’ minds. They watched him closely the last four seasons. They saw him run inside with power, outside with speed, catch (98 receptions for 799 yards), and return kickoffs (38 at 22.1 avg.). They want to see something else this weekend.

“I know a lot of people doubt me,” Graham said. “They don’t know that I’m back yet. But I just want to let everybody know that I’m here to do everything, and I’m healthy, I’m feeling good, and I’m back.”

The Steelers already know plenty about Graham and haven’t talked to him here. He said he was getting an MRI during the bulk of his meeting night.

What about the MRI results?

“The MRI was good. I came in today and they said the knee’s looking good,” said the player who wants to be like Marshall Faulk more than anyone else.

But if McCoy (2nd round), Lewis (5th) and Stephens-Howling (7th) are the gauges, Graham can figure to be drafted anywhere from the third through fifth rounds.

Does he realize the Steelers are looking for a running back?

“Oh, yeah, definitely,” Graham said. “Come and get me.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1268975.html
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,018 Times in 4,260 Posts

See, Ray Graham is the kind of kid I want the Steelers to draft. Energetic, fun and a spirited guy who could turn it on for gameday. I'm not a huge UPitt fan so someone might have to fill me in on the kids weaknesses and areas of improvement. At 5'9 200 lbs, he seems kind of small to be an every-down kind of 'Back. If he puts on another 10 lbs., it's a different story.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote