Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

The offensive line is still a problem. Yes, there seem to be other problems popping up everywhere, and everyone seems to have an opinion about which are the most crucial. And given that we've targeted the OL in recent drafts, can it still be a primary problem? Well yes, it still is - because the hole was very, very deep indeed.

Obviously we're golden at center, with a young all-world Pouncey - unlimited upside. Forget the worries about whether he's injury-prone. He's had only one injury, the high ankle sprain, with subsequent tweaks. That type of sprain is notoriously tricky, and it turned out to require surgical correction. After that, no problems.

I think we're golden at RG as well. During last year's exhibition season, DD was playing at a level above everyone else - to my eyes, he was right there with Pouncey, just amazing. A serious injury derailed his season, but I expect him to come right back and be over-the-top amazing.

At LG, we've got a problem. The Colon experiment was so-so. Nice aggression and energy, but uneven technique, and he continues to make those maddening mental errors that hurt the team at the most inopportune times. It's safe to say that we're still searching for Willie's natural position in life - whatever it is, it's likely to be one where he's not required to learn a snap count. But it's all moot at this point - he's very expensive, he's mega-prone to injury, and he's still at the developmental stage. Willie is already gone, probably one of the first and easiest names on the list for the off-season moves.

Foster is ideally a multi-position depth guy, but he's been forced into starting, and let's be honest, that level of responsibility is more than a bit over his head. On a really solid NFL line, we could accomodate a single weak link in the starting five - but that's not where we're at. Ideally we could have him as a flexible backup at a cheap price, but in his mind he's probably an NFL starter. Will he be happy as a cheap backup? Probably not.

There is a ray of hope at LG in Beechum, but we haven't seen it yet, so who knows? Plus, Beechum might be needed at OT. One way or another, we're going to need Beechum to step up somewhere, because we have holes that need to be filled.

At tackle, we've also got problems. First, what about Starks? Two impressive years, arguably our best lineman behind Pouncey - even though his play is just average NFL-level, that's a shining light on the Steelers. But two good years against seven years of relaxation and underperformance makes you wonder. It was great to see Max get lean and mean - once he was at NFL minimum salary, and playing to stay in the league. He certainly owed the Steelers those two years of effort, and a lot more. I'd happily take the lean and mean Starks, especially for depth, but someone next year is going to have the fat, happy and well-paid Starks from the first seven years. We've been there, and it ain't pretty.

Now, Adams vs. Gilbert. Adams seems to be a hard worker, has a great body frame, and great feet. He needs to build up the muscle, and he needs to stay healthy. He's well beyond Gilbert as a run blocker, and (in my opinion) he's not any worse in pass protection - but different. Adams is often beaten by technique, and by his own hesitaton - a matter of confidence and training. But when he's beaten, he doesn't give up, his motor keeps going, and that hustle is great to see. Technique can be taught, and confidence can be developed. I have high hopes for Adams through continued development.

Gilbert, on the other hand is a problem. His conditioning doesn't look to be great, and the quality of his performance is very inconsistent. He took a big step backward in his second year, and that's worrisome, because sometimes he plays very well. He's not a great run-blocker, and he does gets beaten often in pass protection - in every way. He can be tricked, outmaneuvered, overpowered, and he gives up. I don't need to mention how often he finds himself being driven into the lets of his teammates. What's the problem with Gilbert's head, given that sometimes he can play great? The coaches better figure that out.

OK, there's our starting lineup: we can feel good about C, RG, and hopefully one OT position. But one OG position is unfilled, and at least one OT positon loos very shaky (Gilbert). And where does that leave us with depth? Beyond Doug Legursky's great position flexibility, what do we have? Foster/Starks are almost certainly gone, and I gotta believe that Beechum will get a shot at G.

People, we're down quite a few OL bodies even in the best scenario. OL is still a major problem. Don't even talk to me about running backs when we have no credible method of creating holes!!!!

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
First2seven (03-05-2013), harrison'samonster (02-22-2013), VaDave (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,054 Times in 3,735 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

thanks for the post, I've been waiting for it. I agree Colon is going to be gone, love his fire and everything, but unfortunately he does commit to many untimely penalties, is injury prone, and his price is too high.

I still say Starks will be on this team by the end of preseason.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
TheVet (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Doesn't cutting Colon leave a lot of dead money? I thought I remember reading it was around $5 million.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

I cannot agree with this thread more. The offensive line stinks,if DD remains healthy and Beechum plays well it might be an worth while improvement but still the o-line CANNOT RUN BLOCK and that's bad for Ben because they are one demensional.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,054 Times in 3,735 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Doesn't cutting Colon leave a lot of dead money? I thought I remember reading it was around $5 million.
good point. It looks like if they release him prior to June 1st it will save the team 1.2 million in cap space. Not sure if that's worth it or not, maybe it could be money spent on Starks, a proven LT.

Hard to tell where the team is going to go with these decisions.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

This is what I was saying. Draft o line and a physical receiver. This will fix our offense and running issues.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,490 Times in 2,757 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

chance warmack if he's still there at 17 might be a likely pick.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

My only concern is Gilbert at LT. I think Beachum can handle the LG spot well and I'm not worry about the other side of the OL. I agree they need to draft a lineman in the coming draft, but for backup purpose only.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I cannot agree with this thread more. The offensive line stinks,if DD remains healthy and Beechum plays well it might be an worth while improvement but still the o-line CANNOT RUN BLOCK and that's bad for Ben because they are one demensional.
Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams can definitely run block.

The key is staying healthy.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,083 Posts

I think we need the "sky is falling cat picture". 4 first or 2nd round picks in 2 years with Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert and Adams.............and the line is terrible.

Watch their technique, watch their skill set in terms of footwork, hand placement, punch (or lack of with Adams) and you will see they are good O linemen, some like Adams just need a bit more polish. They all need to stay healthy for a season.