Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,539 Times in 4,606 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Thanks for the thanks!

I can only hope that if Starks is on the team, we somehow get the good Starks of recent vintage - not the one that made us all shake our heads for so long, wondering why there was no pride, no effort. The man has a body custom-built by GOD for NFL OT. He could have been great if he wanted to.

no problem. I appreciate the well thought out post. I agree about Starks. I have little understanding of the OL and no eye for talent at those positions, so when I say that I want Starks I don't necessarily think poorly of Gilbert, I just don't feel safe at this point leaving him guarding Ben's blind side.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Agreed, totally. In my mind, Gilbert could be the difference between great and awful. I wish I knew what was going on inside his head.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,624 Times in 10,389 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Agreed, totally. In my mind, Gilbert could be the difference between great and awful. I wish I knew what was going on inside his head.
I remember this exact same discussion going on with Max Starks (back in 2005-2006).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I remember this exact same discussion going on with Max Starks (back in 2005-2006).
And with Starks, we got something like 7 bad years and 2 good years.

Maybe that means we'll break even, and have 7 good years and 2 bad ones with Gilbert!

But meanwhile, lets keep building our OL (and team) with high character guys who want to put in the effort to succeed. There's nothing more frustrating than watching a guy who has everything going for him, but doesn't care, and won't put in the effort.

I really hope that Gilbert decides to be the best player that he can be.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.

Last edited by TheVet; 02-23-2013 at 01:59 AM.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #25
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,192 Posts

We draft Jonathan Copper and we'd have the best set of pulling guards since Wooten and Dickerson led the way for Jim Brown, and the reason why Jim Brown racked up the numbers he did. Now you know the rest of the story, and we may have an rare opportunity to have something similar.

Both of these guys can get out the box and nail guys in space, something we've not seen in the Burgh since Mullins and Davis were around.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #26
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,023 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Our O-line, a piece of Swiss Cheese, suddenly morphs into the best O-line in the NFL in just one off-season?

Many project great things from Adams and especially Gilbert. Based on what?

I agree with this thread title, the O-line is still a big problem and needs help.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Our O-line, a piece of Swiss Cheese, suddenly morphs into the best O-line in the NFL in just one off-season?

Many project great things from Adams and especially Gilbert. Based on what?

I agree with this thread title, the O-line is still a big problem and needs help.
The big problem last year on the oline was health.

When we had a healthy oline for 3 games and those 3 games we ran for more than 125 yards.

Adams was having a good first year at rt esp in making a impact in the run game, then got injured.

Again the reason we were 8-8 last year had a lot to do with health.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

The line simply isn't playing to the strength of its ability. Listen, the Haley experiment was just that in its first year. An experiment. I have all the faith that this transition is going to take advantage at what we do best and it starts up front. I love the talent. Gilbert is a natural LT. Beachum showed he can play. Pouncey is an ALL PRO beast at center. DeCastro will have the opportunity to start fast next season and Adams was a beast in the run game. All athletic bodies up front. I posted some time ago about the zone blocking scheme implemented before Dulac wrote about it in the PPG. If we can take advantage of our ability upfront and use them right, Ben will be able to see the field better and we can work on the run game like we want to. Our wideouts are fine IMO, even without Wallace. It's the offensive line that may surprise in 2013. Also love Will Johnson. I think he'll be a nice prospect.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
The line simply isn't playing to the strength of its ability. Listen, the Haley experiment was just that in its first year. An experiment. I have all the faith that this transition is going to take advantage at what we do best and it starts up front. I love the talent. Gilbert is a natural LT. Beachum showed he can play. Pouncey is an ALL PRO beast at center. DeCastro will have the opportunity to start fast next season and Adams was a beast in the run game. All athletic bodies up front. I posted some time ago about the zone blocking scheme implemented before Dulac wrote about it in the PPG. If we can take advantage of our ability upfront and use them right, Ben will be able to see the field better and we can work on the run game like we want to. Our wideouts are fine IMO, even without Wallace. It's the offensive line that may surprise in 2013. Also love Will Johnson. I think he'll be a nice prospect.
Pouncey is Good but his ALL Pro selection this year was a give me. He did not deserve it. He played very average.

I watched a dominating Center play weekly named Darmonti Dawson....Pouncey is not even close to that level.

It will be interesting to see if he becomes dominating once the line as a whole improves and play together for more than one week.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,818 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I know Starks had a lot of lost years in Pittsburgh, but I have a different take on his frame of mind. In the Super Bowl years, I liked the way Starks could always find a way to get it done at crunchtime, even when he stunk the whole game. I really think the light when on when the Steelers cut him, and no other team wanted him. He was out of football. Ben vouched for him, and openly asked the coaching staff to bring him back. Since that time, I think his play has been very good, and I would like to see him stay on this team. He doesn't take plays off, and always gives good effort. That doesn't happen by accident. I think he's earned the right to play tackle with his play over the last couple years. We're paying players twice what he makes a year that can't even stay on the field. That's just my opinion.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote