Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,754 Times in 7,914 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Hunt for three key draftees heats up for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
It's entirely possible that he slides to the 38 - 40th pick and the Steelers trade up to grab him. It wouldn't take a whole lot, either, which is the best thing. Something like -

To Buffalo

2nd Round Pick
5th Round Pick
2014 6th Round Pick

To Steelers

2nd Round Pick
2014 7th Round Pick

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.
With the rise of John Cyprien (he is now mocked by most in the 25-30 range), Elam could slip into R2... although, I see him in San Fran. Even if he gets into R2, I do not see him getting past the Bengals at 37.

Side-note: I am not a big fan of McDonald. He's not bad, but there are simply other safeties I'd take in R2. That said, if McDonald was there in R4, I'd take him. (Make sense?)
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We should snag Jordan / Mingo / Moore in the first and grab McDonald in the second (Elam is off the board, sadly) and Rambo in the fourth. Boom goes the dynamite.
Using similar logic, but swapping the first two rounds for S and OLB, how does this sound?

S
OLB
WR / TE
S

R1: S: Matt Elam, Kenny Vaccaro
R2: OLB: Corey Lemonier (Khaseem Greene)
R3: WR: Swope, Dobson, Hamilton, Patton TE: Escobar
R4: S: Swearinger, Rambo, McDonald, Williams (either one), Motta
Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Worried

The Steelers were #1 total defense,#1 Passing defense but #14 Passing offense and #22 Rushing the ball. I understand that this years draft has an awesome crop of defensive talent but it seems that the Steelers need a lot more help offensively, allowing Lacy to pass the Steelers by seems flat out dumb. If the Steelers used #1 on Lacy and missed out on a DT or LB isn't the draft deep enough to find one in the 3rd or 4th? The team is well equipped at WR even after releasing Wallace but really could benefit from a TE,maybe I'm missing something
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
The Steelers were #1 total defense,#1 Passing defense but #14 Passing offense and #22 Rushing the ball. I understand that this years draft has an awesome crop of defensive talent but it seems that the Steelers need a lot more help offensively, allowing Lacy to pass the Steelers by seems flat out dumb. If the Steelers used #1 on Lacy and missed out on a DT or LB isn't the draft deep enough to find one in the 3rd or 4th? The team is well equipped at WR even after releasing Wallace but really could benefit from a TE,maybe I'm missing something
1. The offense has youth. All of these starters are three years in or less (25 years or younger):
AB, Sanders, Pouncey, DD, Gilbert, Adams... even Beachum.

The three RBs (Redman, Dwyer, Batch), while not very effective, are young, too.

BB and Heath are the only two "old" guys.

2. The four "blue chip" O-linemen have NEVER played a down together. There is a lot of promise (assuming that they stay healthy). The thought is that if they play well, those three "average" RBs will be running through HUGE holes & gaining 4 YPC.

3. Lacy at 17: NO.
Lacy in R2: OKAY.
There is better value at 17 than Lacy... even on the offensive side of the ball. If you want offense, Chance Warmack & Tavon Austin are better players; heck, John Cooper is a better value than Lacy.

4. The drop-off between Lacy and (let's say) Gillislee is not very big... but, Gillislee can be had in R3.

5. The defense is oooooold. The safeties are both gone after this season. Harrison might be gone now. And, Foote... well, you've read those threads.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
1. The offense has youth. All of these starters are three years in or less (25 years or younger):
AB, Sanders, Pouncey, DD, Gilbert, Adams... even Beachum.

The three RBs (Redman, Dwyer, Batch), while not very effective, are young, too.

BB and Heath are the only two "old" guys.

2. The four "blue chip" O-linemen have NEVER played a down together. There is a lot of promise (assuming that they stay healthy). The thought is that if they play well, those three "average" RBs will be running through HUGE holes & gaining 4 YPC.

3. Lacy at 17: NO.
Lacy in R2: OKAY.
There is better value at 17 than Lacy... even on the offensive side of the ball. If you want offense, Chance Warmack & Tavon Austin are better players; heck, John Cooper is a better value than Lacy.

4. The drop-off between Lacy and (let's say) Gillislee is not very big... but, Gillislee can be had in R3.

5. The defense is oooooold. The safeties are both gone after this season. Harrison might be gone now. And, Foote... well, you've read those threads.
I like your point of needing a Saftey due to age.The defense is oooold buuuut the RBs suuuuck.Lacy appears to be a running back that the Steelers could use every down and in every situation for years to come. Lacy just plays like a Steeler
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
I like your point of needing a Saftey due to age.The defense is oooold buuuut the RBs suuuuck.Lacy appears to be a running back that the Steelers could use every down and in every situation for years to come. Lacy just plays like a Steeler
Lacy averaged at least 5 yards before any contact, he won't get that at the next level esp with the steelers. Round one to high for him and he won't be there when we pick in second.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
"buuuut the RBs suuuuck."

That part made me laugh. Nicely played.

Really though, the running game comes down to two things:

1) Value. At 17, Lacy is not the best player in the board. While he might be the best RB on this draft, and he plays like a Steeler, trading back would be the smart move (if one wanted Lacy). Make sense?

2) O-line. During the NYGiants game, the O-line was at their healthiest... and they forced their will on the G-men. In other words, a dominating O-line makes any RB look good. So, one should focus on the O-line. (And, again, the four blue-chippers have not played a single down together. I think that you will like this new O-line.)

SUMMATION:
There are a ton of very good (albeit not great) RBs that can be had in R2-R5. Unless one trades back for Lacy (to 28), it would be better "value" to grab one of those second-tier RBs... to play behind a re-vamped O-line.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts

Always room for another blue chip OLman.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #29
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

While I wouldn't scoff at us taking an elite OL in the 1st because we've neglected it for so many years before this recent stint.........You have to think the wear an tear on our safeties and horrible pass rush will make us go S or OLB before OL

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #30
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
While I wouldn't scoff at us taking an elite OL in the 1st because we've neglected it for so many years before this recent stint.........You have to think the wear an tear on our safeties and horrible pass rush will make us go S or OLB before OL
It all depends on who's there at 17.

If Jarvis Jones, Ezekial Ansah (who, reportedly, they love), Chance Warmack, & Kenny Vaccaro are all still available... tough decision.

If all of the OLBs are gone, Vaccaro is gone, and Warmack is gone... who knows???

And, there are multiple combinations of some of those aforementioned players being or not being there.