Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #31
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,976 Posts
My Mood: Goofy
Default Re: Hunt for three key draftees heats up for Steelers

If the Steelers have their man at 17 they make the pick. If not, they move down, and use the extra pick to move up in the 2nd to get 2 players in the top 40-45 picks. I don't think any RB is worthy of a 1st round selection, and drafting just for need can get you in trouble if you reach. They will probably take the highest available on their board at LB, S, or WR in the 1st round. After that, I would try to move up to get targeted players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. With the 4th round picks or later I would love to see them take a flyer on a Lattimore or Mauti type player(Huge upside, great character, natural leaders, playmakers, 1st round talent but injured). We also have to be prepared for the possiblity that with the Steelers losing many players, there's a good chance they'll move down a couple times to pick up lots of additional picks. Lots of fresh bodies are needed. I'll try not to get frustrated, but I can't promise anything!
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
If the Steelers have their man at 17 they make the pick. If not, they move down, and use the extra pick to move up in the 2nd to get 2 players in the top 40-45 picks. I don't think any RB is worthy of a 1st round selection, and drafting just for need can get you in trouble if you reach. They will probably take the highest available on their board at LB, S, or WR in the 1st round. After that, I would try to move up to get targeted players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. With the 4th round picks or later I would love to see them take a flyer on a Lattimore or Mauti type player(Huge upside, great character, natural leaders, playmakers, 1st round talent but injured). We also have to be prepared for the possiblity that with the Steelers losing many players, there's a good chance they'll move down a couple times to pick up lots of additional picks. Lots of fresh bodies are needed. I'll try not to get frustrated, but I can't promise anything!
that last point is very true. I wouldn't be to upset myself if this is the case.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
that last point is very true. I wouldn't be to upset myself if this is the case.
I also think that if they move down to get more picks that they are more likely to gamble on a player with an injury concern.....or two.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

When was the last time the Steelers actually moved down? We talk about it every year on here because we're always in that awkward draft position where everyone from pick 15-32 seems the same, and we sit here and fantasize about picking up that extra second or third, but it never happens. We occasionally move up if there's somebody we REALLY want, and if there isn't there's always somebody we have pinpointed to take at our actual pick, whether it's a slight reach or not. There's always somebody our front office has picked out and they don't risk trading back in case somebody else wants them too.

It's possible a trade-back could happen in a later round but we're either picking at 17 or moving up to get a Jones, Ansah, Patterson, or Te'o who somebody else is likely to take.

Anyway, as for me I'm hoping we go LB in the first (Jones, Ansah, or Te'o), WR in the second (Hopkins, Hunter, Rogers, or Woods), and RB in the third (Lattimore or Ball). Then grab a safety or TE in the later rounds.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,678 Times in 7,471 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
This is THE draft to trade down.

Most years, the top ten is far, far better. This year, the players in the top ten are not significantly better than those available at twenty. That's not belittling the top ten; it means that this draft is just very deep.

Again, there are about 20-25 very good players. Then, there is about 20-25 more players in that second tier... who are just a peg below that first group. Thus, this is THE year to have multiple picks in the first two rounds.

Trade back to 25, and acquire an extra R2 pick. Heck, I would not be upset with trading back from 25, and acquiring a third R2 pick. For example:

34: Elam, SS
47: Austin, WR
57: Lattimore, RB
R3: Lemonier, OLB
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #36
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
When was the last time the Steelers actually moved down? We talk about it every year on here because we're always in that awkward draft position where everyone from pick 15-32 seems the same, and we sit here and fantasize about picking up that extra second or third, but it never happens. We occasionally move up if there's somebody we REALLY want, and if there isn't there's always somebody we have pinpointed to take at our actual pick, whether it's a slight reach or not. There's always somebody our front office has picked out and they don't risk trading back in case somebody else wants them too.

It's possible a trade-back could happen in a later round but we're either picking at 17 or moving up to get a Jones, Ansah, Patterson, or Te'o who somebody else is likely to take.

Anyway, as for me I'm hoping we go LB in the first (Jones, Ansah, or Te'o), WR in the second (Hopkins, Hunter, Rogers, or Woods), and RB in the third (Lattimore or Ball). Then grab a safety or TE in the later rounds.
Your comments about trading back are based on fact, history, & logic. We deal solely with "what we want" in the months leading up to the draft. Get it together, man!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-23-2013), PhantomJB93 (02-23-2013), VaDave (02-25-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Fans always want what they want, but the Steelers always have a plan and they stick to it. The thing we never know is the list of evaluations on players. They will have a list of targeted players and where they think they can get them in the draft. If a player they covet is available when their pick comes up, they take him. If they know they can get that player later, or a similarly rated player, they can move down and get additional picks. That's why the draft is so exciting and difficult to predict. Nobody knows for sure which players will be taken or when. They have to react on the fly. The one thing we know for sure is that this draft is not top heavy. Most experts are saying that there is not much difference between the #2 pick or the #30 pick. There is a lot of depth, particularly on defense. I was just pointing out that the team may be releasing up to 15 players from last years roster. That's a ton of bodies that have to be replaced. This will all depend on how many players are released, but the team will already know who's staying and who's going. If there are lots of roster spots to fill, you can count on them moving down, particularly with the talent available late in this draft. This isn't a year after winning the Super Bowl, where the roster is going to be relatively unchanged and you are just adding depth and complimentary talent. You can target a particular player or two and just take best available when your picks come up.

I think all past patterns can go out the window this year. The Steelers need to do what they have to do to strengthen the team. We'll know when we find out who is being let go and how many holes have to be filled.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #38
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Using similar logic, but swapping the first two rounds for S and OLB, how does this sound?

S
OLB
WR / TE
S

R1: S: Matt Elam, Kenny Vaccaro
R2: OLB: Corey Lemonier (Khaseem Greene)
R3: WR: Swope, Dobson, Hamilton, Patton TE: Escobar
R4: S: Swearinger, Rambo, McDonald, Williams (either one), Motta
I saw you post this and I thought I responded but apparently I didn't hit submit. So, here we go again!

I don't have a problem with that at all. If that's the way they go, I'm all for it actually. However, specific guys have to be off the board for this to be done. Jordan, Mingo and Moore all have to be off the board for me to feel comfortable with that. Also, I'd only take Elam if we find someone to trade down with (which, by the way, is looking more and more likely. I have a feeling that Warmack and Cooper are both going to be there at 17 and someone like the Vikings, Packers or Patriots are going to offer to trade. Or the 49ers who have 14 picks). I like the Lemonier pick, too, and I feel as if he's sorta flying under the radar. I won't critique your other picks because you wrote this pre-combine, but there's a couple of WRs who made my jaw drop today. I feel as if Escobar in the third round is an absolute must if he's there. You convinced me, brah - the kid is forreal.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #39
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I saw you post this and I thought I responded but apparently I didn't hit submit. So, here we go again!

I don't have a problem with that at all. If that's the way they go, I'm all for it actually. However, specific guys have to be off the board for this to be done. Jordan, Mingo and Moore all have to be off the board for me to feel comfortable with that. Also, I'd only take Elam if we find someone to trade down with (which, by the way, is looking more and more likely. I have a feeling that Warmack and Cooper are both going to be there at 17 and someone like the Vikings, Packers or Patriots are going to offer to trade. Or the 49ers who have 14 picks). I like the Lemonier pick, too, and I feel as if he's sorta flying under the radar. I won't critique your other picks because you wrote this pre-combine, but there's a couple of WRs who made my jaw drop today. I feel as if Escobar in the third round is an absolute must if he's there. You convinced me, brah - the kid is forreal.
OLBs: They'll likely all be gone.

ELAM: True. While I want Elam on the Steelers, the smartest move would be to trade back & draft him at 25ish. Actually, if John Cyprien keeps gaining momentum, Elam could drop into R2.

ESCOBAR: I am pleased to have convinced you. I watched Escobar many a night, and the kid is Aaron Hernandez. He also reminds me quite a bit of Heath Miller, in the sense that Ryan Lindley played like BB: scramble around, look downfield, and then hit Escobar to convert the third down. Escobar actually had a better sophomore season (better QB)... so, he actually lost some draft status... and now, with his bad combine, he would be a R4 steal for the Steelers. R3 makes a ton of sense, and I would gladly applaud his selection in that round.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #40
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,546 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Fans always want what they want, but the Steelers always have a plan and they stick to it. The thing we never know is the list of evaluations on players. They will have a list of targeted players and where they think they can get them in the draft. If a player they covet is available when their pick comes up, they take him. If they know they can get that player later, or a similarly rated player, they can move down and get additional picks. That's why the draft is so exciting and difficult to predict. Nobody knows for sure which players will be taken or when. They have to react on the fly. The one thing we know for sure is that this draft is not top heavy. Most experts are saying that there is not much difference between the #2 pick or the #30 pick. There is a lot of depth, particularly on defense. I was just pointing out that the team may be releasing up to 15 players from last years roster. That's a ton of bodies that have to be replaced. This will all depend on how many players are released, but the team will already know who's staying and who's going. If there are lots of roster spots to fill, you can count on them moving down, particularly with the talent available late in this draft. This isn't a year after winning the Super Bowl, where the roster is going to be relatively unchanged and you are just adding depth and complimentary talent. You can target a particular player or two and just take best available when your picks come up.

I think all past patterns can go out the window this year. The Steelers need to do what they have to do to strengthen the team. We'll know when we find out who is being let go and how many holes have to be filled.
I hear ya, there is going to be a ton of roster spots open on our team, but if Jonathan Cooper is on the board at 17, you got to take him.. We'd have the best, youngest, talented Oline in the league, possibly for years.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote