Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #31
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts
Default Re: Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

Starks has a good year last year. Keep in mind, that was last year, and we've all seen what a difference a year makes. As a free agent, somebody is going to make him an offer more than the league minimum we will. I would love to have him back at the league min and what a bargain that would be, but his days as a front line starter is about over.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Oh the health:

Yeah, no doubt the health problems have been a killer, and we haven't seen the best of the OL, playing together healthy. But it's more than that. Remember, even if all of our projected starters are healthy, we're still at roughly 3 or 3.5 proven NFL starters, and that's being optimistic. So even assuming perfect health (which just won't happen), we are down bigtime in therms of at-the-line and above-the-line OL starters. And there's still the depth problem.

On Starks:

Yeah, I hear what you guys are saying about how good Starks has been the past few seasons. But is it a true change, or did it just kick in because he was fighting for a chance to stay in the league, taking minimum salary and looking for one more shot at a big contract? Seven years of sloth is hard to forget.

If I'm Steeler management, I certainly don't want to pay big dollars ("fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."). On the other hand, would he be happy/productive at vet minimum or a bit above? It's hard to see a fair scenario where Starks could work here - and to me, "fair" means "cheap", because Starks still owes this organization for quite a few years of overpayment.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #33
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,782 Times in 7,515 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
It will be interesting to see if he becomes dominating once the line as a whole improves and play together for more than one week.
That last part is key. Dawson played next to Duval Love and Alan Faneca... and John Jackson & Will Wolford... Whereas, Pouncey has been having to make up for the dumb-assery of The Colon & Chemo.

I'd like to see this O-line play as a unit (not a single snap has occurred with the four "blue chip" players playing together)... and see just how good Pouncey can truly be (when not covering for dolts).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
VaDave (02-24-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,288 Times in 2,985 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That last part is key. Dawson played next to Duval Love and Alan Faneca... and John Jackson & Will Wolford... Whereas, Pouncey has been having to make up for the dumb-assery of The Colon & Chemo.

I'd like to see this O-line play as a unit (not a single snap has occurred with the four "blue chip" players playing together)... and see just how good Pouncey can truly be (when not covering for dolts).
Are you saying that the talent next to him hasn't been as good as OL of the past? That's ridiculous! Big Ben makes them look terrible because he hangs on to the ball too long!
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,288 Times in 2,985 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Oh, I forgot, especially when they can't run the ball!
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #36
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post

On Starks:

Yeah, I hear what you guys are saying about how good Starks has been the past few seasons. But is it a true change, or did it just kick in because he was fighting for a chance to stay in the league, taking minimum salary and looking for one more shot at a big contract? Seven years of sloth is hard to forget.

If I'm Steeler management, I certainly don't want to pay big dollars ("fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."). On the other hand, would he be happy/productive at vet minimum or a bit above? It's hard to see a fair scenario where Starks could work here - and to me, "fair" means "cheap", because Starks still owes this organization for quite a few years of overpayment.
Starks has been the best tackle on the Steelers since Smith left. The Steelers were forced to pay Starks that money because they neglected the O-line for so long. They really didn't have much of a choice. I think Starks will stay for vet minimum. If he doesn't it going to be a long season at LT.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Yeah, thanks for the comment, but would you care to add some thoughtful content?
Most would agree that they are optimistic about Pouncey and Decastro being solid at their positions. So thats 40% of the O line locked down fine.

Mike Adams has all the athletic ability, size and skill to be at the very worst, as good as Max Starks has been. Adams was a rookie, that lacked strength and didnt consistently set, punch and wasnt used to NFL pass rushers. He never should have been pencilled in at LT to start camp.

Marcus Gilbert is a better athlete than Max Starks is and should have been given reps at LT from the start of camp. Instead, the desire to have Adams at LT slowed his development. He has the fluid kick slide and strikes well to the chestplate of defenders in pass pro and is a good run blocker.

So, by an objective evaluation, we have 80% of the O line that has sufficient talent and skills to be productive. Only last piece is if Foster or Beechum rounds out the starting 5.

The O line is NOT a BIG problem. Doom and gloom is. (along with aging secondary, aging ILB, lacking of pass rush from the OLB position and Salary Cap space)
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #38
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I agree with you mostly.....But it was well known Dawson man handled players one on one. Pouncey does not.

I am aware he does not need to be as good as Dawson for the line to succeed if the others pull through. But there is a " false sense of greatness " due to his Pro Bowl status. No Steeler offensive lineman should have even been on the ballot.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #39
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you mostly.....But it was well known Dawson man handled players one on one. Pouncey does not.

I am aware he does not need to be as good as Dawson for the line to succeed if the others pull through. But there is a " false sense of greatness " due to his Pro Bowl status. No Steeler offensive lineman should have even been on the ballot.
Dawson vs Pouncey is like arguing what's better tequila, Don Julio or Patron. Different era's, different offensive schemes.

Guys across from Dawson knew they were in for a tough sunday, the night before. Dawson was used to pull a lot more than Pouncey. I think Pouncey has the respect of his opponents, but I dont think the level of Dawson's peers.

I do agree that there is some false hype due to Pro Bowl nominations. Pouncey seems to have been often injured the past couple seasons. I still think he is a solid center, but I have never thought we needed to drop a #1 pick on a C. Guys like JD Walton get taken in the 3rd round and do the job fine.

We have a talented group of good young linemen. I havent been this optimistic about our O line in the past 7 years. Its why I dont get the doom and gloom of this thread.

Many forget that we had a line of Starks, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton, Colon not that long ago. I am not complaining about the group here now.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,782 Times in 7,515 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:

Very true. Defenders used to lose sleep for three or four days before having to play Dawson. He truly was one of the best who EVER played.

Is Pouncey "that" good? Probably not... but, I still think that Pouncey is great, and more importantly, i brlieve that he is going to get even better once his supporting cast is not a couple of dimwits (The Colon & Chemo).

I guess my point is something like this:
Is Ike Taylor as good as Rod Woodson? No... but, who is???
Is Casey the Hutt as good as Joe Greene? No... but, who is???
Is Pouncey as good as Dawson? No... but, who is???
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote