Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Is Heath Miller Worth 8 Million / Year Now?

He is worth every penny. In my opinion he should be making more.
We all know how valuable he is to this OL. He should be used more if you ask me!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,706 Times in 9,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
That other guy you like Tavon Austin ran a 4.25 in the 40 today, next fastest ever to Chris Johnson's 4.24.

We need some playmakers in the draft more than anything. I'd be real happy if the Steelers took a WR, TE, and RB with 3 of the 4 top picks. I like the same guys you like. Austin and Escobar, despite his lackluster performance yesterday) and Lattimore works for me, along with a few other similar combinations.
Tavon!!!

Well, that 40 time just eliminated ANY chance of him slipping into R2. He'll definitely go in late R1... hopefully, not to the Taperiots or the Ravens. (NOTE: The 17th pick is too high, especially considering the other areas if need. Ergo, alas, he now will not be a Steeler.)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
Terminator
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,030 Times in 409 Posts

I would say no.

He's been extremely reliable, but he is not in the Elite Tier of NFL tight ends, and he is coming off a major knee injury.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

If Miller makes a full recovery, which I am sure he will, yes he is easily worth 8million. Seriously. He has been our most reliable receiver. Without him we lose a significant threat in our offense.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,706 Times in 9,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I foresee a restructuring happening.

Heath knows that he's about to earn half a season's salary while in rehad, and also that he "could" be cut (although, I truly do not see that taking place). It behooves both parties to alter his contract... and while I might live in a fantasy world, I think both sides respect one another & want to help each other out.

Likewise, the Steelers are at the "end" of Heath's back-loaded contract (where the salary is higher than it truly should be). Normally, this is where a player extends... which is exactly what I think transpires.

Thus, I see that $16 million being turned into $20 million spread over four years.

Heath gets a little signing bonus/more guaranteed money (& doesn't get cut). The Steelers get to push back his cap hit (& pay $3 million less per year for a "currently injured" player).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Tavon!!!

Well, that 40 time just eliminated ANY chance of him slipping into R2. He'll definitely go in late R1... hopefully, not to the Taperiots or the Ravens. (NOTE: The 17th pick is too high, especially considering the other areas if need. Ergo, alas, he now will not be a Steeler.)
Cancel the 4.25 for Austin. That was his unofficial time off a stop watch announced right after he ran. Hours later they gave him an official 4.34, tied with Ryan Swope for 2nd. That track guy Marquise Goodwin was first at 4.27.

So maybe Austin will last until the 2nd round. But then again Belichick might take him late in the first round.

Gavin Escobar may have likely moved down the tight end food chain somewhat, but that guy looks like a beast to me. Definitely Steelers material.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I think teegre has it exactly right. I don't see the Steelers letting Heath get away. This is a deal that will happen.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,992 Times in 4,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I think teegre has it exactly right. I don't see the Steelers letting Heath get away. This is a deal that will happen.
I don't want it to. If we restructure Heath, we're putting ourselves in another shitty cap situation in the future. We need to cut our losses here - he had a serious ACL injury. He's on the wrong side of 30. His name isn't Adrian Peterson and he's not worth 8 million dollars.

The guy a couple posts above me is absolutely right - he's a huge asset to the offensive line. Fortunately, guys like Escobar, Williams and Bennett and Walker share the qualities that Miller brings to the table. That, and I don't know how much more babysitting he's going to have to do with Adams on that right side. Adams was improving with every snap and, until he was injured, was starting to come into his own without Miller there. Even if he does struggle, a guy like Escobar (who I'm starting to get very high on) could be there to help in pass protection scenarios. Something as small as a chip and into the flat play which Heath seems to specialize in, it gives Adams enough time to get into his technique and use his strength to push the pass rusher to the outside.

He's not worth 8 million dollars guys. Say what you will, but he's coming off of a serious injury and I very much doubt he'll be ready for week 1 this year. While I can see an injury clause in his contract, that's delaying the inevitable. What we can't do, however, is restructure. We just can't. We can't keep pushing money farther and farther down the line and keep setting us up for more cap situations like the one we're already in right now. Grabbing someone like Escobar and/or Williams helps set up life after Ben as well, and provides whomever we get to take over the reigns a viable option like Heath was for Roethlisberger.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #29
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Cant say Heath isnt worth it because he isnt on the verge of breaking records. C'mon. He has been the most reliable threat on our offense and if utilized more likely the most dangerous. A restructure will happen.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
Heath worth whatever he asks for? 10 million a year or more?

Eh, he's a top tier TE, but how much are the likes of Gronkowski making?
Whatever he asks for! The team completely fell apart offensively but Heath. Every running back,Reciever and even Ben himself fumbled,dropped passes,looked completely lost yet Heath proved himself immune to whatever infected this team offensively.Whatever he asks for
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote