Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,861 Times in 934 Posts
Default Re: Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Very true. Defenders used to lose sleep for three or four days before having to play Dawson. He truly was one of the best who EVER played.

Is Pouncey "that" good? Probably not... but, I still think that Pouncey is great, and more importantly, i brlieve that he is going to get even better once his supporting cast is not a couple of dimwits (The Colon & Chemo).

I guess my point is something like this:
Is Ike Taylor as good as Rod Woodson? No... but, who is???
Is Casey the Hutt as good as Joe Greene? No... but, who is???
Is Pouncey as good as Dawson? No... but, who is???
What you say is true.

Both Colon and Kemo were maulers. DeCastro is a mauler with better feet. I honestly hope we keep Foster, as he is a dependable and nasty interior player.
Beechum is more of a technician IMO and will likely struggle with larger interior linemen in our division at guard. I would rather see Beechum as the swing tackle.

Gimme Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Adams to start on gameday and dress Beechum and Legursky (or any other backup C/G) as reserves. We can win with that line.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Our offensive line is young, not terrible. If we can get a young starting 5 to play together for a good part of the season, they'll be a strength on this team, not a weakness. O-lines need more time to gel as a unit than any other group on the field.
I think this line, with this personnel will be good next year and very good in 2 years.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #43
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Most would agree that they are optimistic about Pouncey and Decastro being solid at their positions. So thats 40% of the O line locked down fine.

Mike Adams has all the athletic ability, size and skill to be at the very worst, as good as Max Starks has been. Adams was a rookie, that lacked strength and didnt consistently set, punch and wasnt used to NFL pass rushers. He never should have been pencilled in at LT to start camp.

Marcus Gilbert is a better athlete than Max Starks is and should have been given reps at LT from the start of camp. Instead, the desire to have Adams at LT slowed his development. He has the fluid kick slide and strikes well to the chestplate of defenders in pass pro and is a good run blocker.

So, by an objective evaluation, we have 80% of the O line that has sufficient talent and skills to be productive. Only last piece is if Foster or Beechum rounds out the starting 5.

The O line is NOT a BIG problem. Doom and gloom is. (along with aging secondary, aging ILB, lacking of pass rush from the OLB position and Salary Cap space)
I agree with most of what you're saying, with a few exceptions. (1) You don't mention Gilbert's big second year regression, and that's a big warning sign to me. You never want to see a 2nd year player regress. This year will be important for him, but it's no lock. (2) I don't think Foster is NFL-starter material, but he's OK as a backup. (3) You don't mention the depth problem, and that's big. An OL needs some depth, something that we can definitely appreciate around here.

I'm assuming that Colon, Starks and Foster are gone - at least 2 of the 3. So that's why I say that "the OL is STILL a problem." But, let me also say that I'm very happy with the progress that we've made from a few years ago, and optimistic. It's just that we're definitely not there yet; the hole we're digging out of was very deep indeed.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #44
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Doesn't cutting Colon leave a lot of dead money? I thought I remember reading it was around $5 million.
Pretty sure that's inaccurate. It would SAVE $5M, I believe, worst case scenario it'd create about 1.5M dead money (not positive if that is accurate either)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,861 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying, with a few exceptions. (1) You don't mention Gilbert's big second year regression, and that's a big warning sign to me. You never want to see a 2nd year player regress. This year will be important for him, but it's no lock. (2) I don't think Foster is NFL-starter material, but he's OK as a backup. (3) You don't mention the depth problem, and that's big. An OL needs some depth, something that we can definitely appreciate around here.

I'm assuming that Colon, Starks and Foster are gone - at least 2 of the 3. So that's why I say that "the OL is STILL a problem." But, let me also say that I'm very happy with the progress that we've made from a few years ago, and optimistic. It's just that we're definitely not there yet; the hole we're digging out of was very deep indeed.
Gilbert only played 5 games and was placed on injured reserve. How can you judge a players "regression" when he didnt play that much? He should have been given reps at LT instead of Adams from the start of training camp.

Lack of depth?? Steelers havent had depth in over 10 years. Keydrick Vincent, Sean Mahan, Legursky, Tony Hills?? Cant have many pro bowlers for depth in the salary cap era.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #46
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I have Given my opinions about Pouncey not being as good as he is advertised...But he is still good ( not great ) and he has proven that. The rest have proven zero...I really hope they come as advertised, if not we are looking at a few more 8 and 8 records.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #47
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,208 Times in 3,462 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I have Given my opinions about Pouncey not being as good as he is advertised...But he is still good ( not great ) and he has proven that. The rest have proven zero...I really hope they come as advertised, if not we are looking at a few more 8 and 8 records.
very true. This season is hopefully going to answer a lot of questions for us. Questions about the OL, Brown and Sanders, Woodley, and possibly Redman and Dwyer.

The OL is were it starts. They need to remain healthy throughout the season.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #48
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,062 Times in 8,049 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Depth at a cheap price:

R6: Khaled Holmes, OC/OG, USC
R7: Joe Madsen, OC/OG, WVU

If an interior player goes down, one of those two takes his place.
If an OT goes down, Beachum splits out to OT, and one of those guys plays LG.

Assuming Foster, Starks, & Legursky are gone...

Starters: Gilbert - Beachum - Pouncey - DD - Adams

Dress: Holmes & Madsen
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #49
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Gilbert only played 5 games and was placed on injured reserve. How can you judge a players "regression" when he didnt play that much? He should have been given reps at LT instead of Adams from the start of training camp.
Gilbert was beaten like a drum in the exhibition games also. He looked as much like a rookie as Adams. He carried the same play into the season. If you watched the line, it was there to see plain as day.
Quote:
Lack of depth?? Steelers havent had depth in over 10 years. Keydrick Vincent, Sean Mahan, Legursky, Tony Hills?? Cant have many pro bowlers for depth in the salary cap era.
Not having depth for a decade kind of proves my point. Let's turn a weakness into a strength, especially as our QB ages.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #50
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Pretty sure that's inaccurate. It would SAVE $5M, I believe, worst case scenario it'd create about 1.5M dead money (not positive if that is accurate either)
It depends when you cut him. There isn't much savings with cutting him prior to the March deadline. There is a significant savings if he is cut after June 1st, some of which will be a dead money hit in 2014. At least that's the way I understand it. What the exact dollars are is above my pay grade.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote