Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586
Default Let's talk linebackers

So linebacker prospects. I just want to look at a few of them that stood out to me. Feel free to discuss others you liked or were disappointed with.

Dion Jordan:
Absolutely killed it today. I didn't know this but he used to play wide receiver. He has amazing speed and is one of the most fluid players. He can bend very, very well and looked great dropping into coverage. This guy has pretty much pushed himself out of our reach with this performance.

Damontre Moore:
Killed his stock. Ran a slow 40 and only put up 12 repetitions on the bench press. Raises questions about his training. This may push him out of the top 10 if he can't redeem himself. Steelers will look at him but seeing his performance makes him questionable in my eyes. Disappointing.

Corey Lemonier:
Ran fast. Faster than I expected with a 4.60. He also bulked up to 255 pounds. He now has the ideal size and frame to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. Though he was a little stiff, he looked good in the drills and put up 27 reps on the bench, a solid number.

Manti Te'o:
How disappointing. He hasn't helped his stock with his field work, even though he killed his interviews. He only has one speed, which isn't very fast and he only looked okay in the drills. He looked like he was trying to hard and one point even fell after losing his feet under him.

Cornelius Washington:
Surprised here. Washington was coming in as a possible Day 3 flier. However, he was a workout warrior. At 6-4, 255 lbs, he ran the second fastest official time of 4.55 and had 36 reps on the bench to go with a 39 in vert and huge broad jump. All significant of explosiveness. He was tops or near tops in every measurable.

Zavier Gooden:
Finally, this guy destroyed the combine. Fastest linebacker out there. He came in at 6-1, 234 pounds. He also put up 27 reps on the bench press, same as Lemonier, which is ridiculous because he was practically benching his own weight. Gooden played as an OLB at Missouri but is undersized. He was recruited to be a safety but became an OLB instead.... He didn't look as natural in reverse as he did running downhill and because of this and because of his background at safety, I think if he can bulk up a little, he can be an ILB project.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel Glory For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2013), SteelersCanada (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,157 Times in 4,301 Posts
Default Re: Let's talk linebackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
Dion Jordan:
Absolutely killed it today. I didn't know this but he used to play wide receiver. He has amazing speed and is one of the most fluid players. He can bend very, very well and looked great dropping into coverage. This guy has pretty much pushed himself out of our reach with this performance.
I've been high on this kind since October. Look, he's going to be a monster. There was a lot of talk on these boards about how he couldn't be a 3-4 player because of his height, weight and how he was an overrated 4-3 DE and wouldn't fit as a 3-4 OLB. Now, the ignorance in that last statement is astounding but I'd be willing to bet they're eating their words - he absolutely did kill it today. He looked like a stud.

The guy projects to me like Aldon Smith. He's fast and can use his speed and acceleration to get around Tackles in the NFL. I'm not going to judge him by his 40 time as others are, but it's great to know he had an excellent vertical (swat down passes a la Watt) and really opened eyes during the drills. This is the kind of player I wouldn't mind us trading up to get. Now, all that being said, we might not have to trade up far. With the way the offensive line looked and pressing need for DTs, I feel as if Jordan is going to be pushed back. The only team that would take a run at him in the first 10 are the Jets, and I feel like Rex is going to take Ansah there as a project he can work with. Guys like Jones, Jordan, Mingo and Moore are all going to be pushed back as teams reach for Quarterbacks and LTs in this draft.

I'd give up a fourth and a fifth to trade with someone like the Panthers at 14. In all likelihood, Sheldon Richardson will be on the board at 17 so the Panthers would be keen on trading down, picking up a couple extra picks and then taking Richardson to shore up their DLine. If we're serious about shoring up our pass rush, Jordan is the place to start. Let Butler work with him and improve his technique and he'll be a force on that right side opposite Woodley.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Steel Glory (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I've been high on this kind since October. Look, he's going to be a monster. There was a lot of talk on these boards about how he couldn't be a 3-4 player because of his height, weight and how he was an overrated 4-3 DE and wouldn't fit as a 3-4 OLB. Now, the ignorance in that last statement is astounding but I'd be willing to bet they're eating their words - he absolutely did kill it today. He looked like a stud.

The guy projects to me like Aldon Smith. He's fast and can use his speed and acceleration to get around Tackles in the NFL. I'm not going to judge him by his 40 time as others are, but it's great to know he had an excellent vertical (swat down passes a la Watt) and really opened eyes during the drills. This is the kind of player I wouldn't mind us trading up to get. Now, all that being said, we might not have to trade up far. With the way the offensive line looked and pressing need for DTs, I feel as if Jordan is going to be pushed back. The only team that would take a run at him in the first 10 are the Jets, and I feel like Rex is going to take Ansah there as a project he can work with. Guys like Jones, Jordan, Mingo and Moore are all going to be pushed back as teams reach for Quarterbacks and LTs in this draft.

I'd give up a fourth and a fifth to trade with someone like the Panthers at 14. In all likelihood, Sheldon Richardson will be on the board at 17 so the Panthers would be keen on trading down, picking up a couple extra picks and then taking Richardson to shore up their DLine. If we're serious about shoring up our pass rush, Jordan is the place to start. Let Butler work with him and improve his technique and he'll be a force on that right side opposite Woodley.
I have also liked Jordan. He has the speed rush and is the same body type as Aldon Smith. The only difference? Jordan can cover. But, I think you are wrong about only the Jets looking at him. Cleveland is switching to a 3-4 as well and he can still play at the 4-3 end position because he can add weight. If I'm Cleveland, I think really hard about him at number 6. And right now he is my top mock to them. I had Jarvis Jones and Star Lotuleilei, but both have medical red flags.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
I have also liked Jordan. He has the speed rush and is the same body type as Aldon Smith. The only difference? Jordan can cover. But, I think you are wrong about only the Jets looking at him. Cleveland is switching to a 3-4 as well and he can still play at the 4-3 end position because he can add weight. If I'm Cleveland, I think really hard about him at number 6. And right now he is my top mock to them. I had Jarvis Jones and Star Lotuleilei, but both have medical red flags.
You're giving too much credit to Cleveland. This is the same organization that drafted a 28 year old rookie Quarterback and thought it was a great idea. Granted, a different staff is on board now, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I'm Cleveland. They're in the business of making terrible decisions.

I could definitely see them taking a look, but Jordan isn't worth a top 6 pick in my opinion. I love the kid, but he isn't worth that high of a selection. They need help on offense and, same with the Jets, might have to take a long look at Ezekiel Ansah. If I'm Cleveland, though, I'm taking Jarvis Jones. That guy is a beast, spinal issues aside. They might also look at someone like Floyd to anchor their DLine.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
You're giving too much credit to Cleveland. This is the same organization that drafted a 28 year old rookie Quarterback and thought it was a great idea. Granted, a different staff is on board now, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I'm Cleveland. They're in the business of making terrible decisions.

I could definitely see them taking a look, but Jordan isn't worth a top 6 pick in my opinion. I love the kid, but he isn't worth that high of a selection. They need help on offense and, same with the Jets, might have to take a long look at Ezekiel Ansah. If I'm Cleveland, though, I'm taking Jarvis Jones. That guy is a beast, spinal issues aside. They might also look at someone like Floyd to anchor their DLine.
Yeah I guess haha. Cleveland is pretty terrible, with Michael Lombardi being especially terrible with his draft record. But Floyd is a 4-3 guy and with Philadelphia's release of Cullen Jenkins, he could be going there if the Raiders don't take him. Plus I want to give them a little bit of credit; their new owner was a partial owner of the Steelers
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,114 Posts

Jordan will likely be gone when we draft. I've been pimping Lemonier to the Steelers in the second round for a while now and think he still grades out as early to mid of round 2.

I hate the idea of another year of Larry Foote, but could handle either Vacarro or Elam in round 1 and Lemonier in round 2
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

I'm high on Jordan from day 1. But I wouldn't trade up for him. One or two of the top pass rushers will drop.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Damontre Moore has a chance of falling to 17 now too. I love all the 'experts' now are mocking all these pass rushers in the top 15 when they did the exact same thing last year and a lot of them fell. It's like they don't learn from their mistakes. I guess that's why they're talking heads.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Besides Jordan, pre-combine mid-first round projection like Mingo and Ansah also have excellent combine performance. Someone has to drop at 17. There is no reason for trading up in this year draft.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,963 Times in 8,708 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Jordan will likely be gone when we draft. I've been pimping Lemonier to the Steelers in the second round for a while now and think he still grades out as early to mid of round 2.

I hate the idea of another year of Larry Foote, but could handle either Vacarro or Elam in round 1 and Lemonier in round 2
Elam or Vaccro... YES.

I was hoping Lemonier would drop to the Steelers in R3. Alas, if they're gonna take him, it will now likely have to be in R2.

Speaking of R3, there are so many good R3 players that I like: Ryan Swope, Leon McFadden, Corey Lemonier, Gavin Escobar... Thus, maybe the Steelers trade down from 17, still snag Elam, while picking up a extra R3 pick (or two) in the process.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
El-Gonzo Jackson (02-27-2013)