Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: Let's talk linebackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Elam or Vaccro... YES.

I was hoping Lemonier would drop to the Steelers in R3. Alas, if they're gonna take him, it will now likely have to be in R2.

Speaking of R3, there are so many good R3 players that I like: Ryan Swope, Leon McFadden, Corey Lemonier, Gavin Escobar... Thus, maybe the Steelers trade down from 17, still snag Elam, while picking up a extra R3 pick (or two) in the process.
I know you love elam but say we get vaccaro how would you feel about shamarko thomas plays the same way as elam and will go in round 5 and later. He will impress at the combine.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,729 Times in 10,424 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I know you love elam but say we get vaccaro how would you feel about shamarko thomas plays the same way as elam and will go in round 5 and later. He will impress at the combine.
How is he is pass coverage? I was saying elsewhere that what I like about Elam (& Swearinger) is that they bring it... but also can cover the pass very well.

I'd be very happy with Vaccaro. How do I explain this... Ah, okay. Not that either of these young safeties is at this level, but Elam versus Vaccaro is akin to Polamslu versus Reed: personal preference (both are HOF-level). I personally like Elam, but I'm smart enough to know that Vaccaro is arguably as good (both are amazing).

The guy, besides Elam, who I think is a monster tackler is Swearinger. I've seen him mocked everywhere from late R1 to R5. The dude can hit like a Mack truck... but, he can also cover the pass (he has played some CB).

Here are my tiered rankings of those three, in levels of "kid happy":

Swearinger only: ice cream cone

Elam or Vaccaro only: sundae

Elam/Vaccaro AND some other late-round S: sundae w/ extra toppings

Elam/Vaccaro AND Swearinger: sundae w/ extra toppings at Disneyland, while wearing an Batman costume & riding a tricked-out bike from ride-to-ride.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586

I would love Swearinger. I think though he would probably have to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. And yeah I've also seen him everywhere from rounds 1-5. Some people love him and think he's one of the top 3 safeties, others think he is just a head hunter and won't do well.

I know he has played cornerback for South Carolina when they were in a pinch and moved back to safety afterwards and played great before, during and after the switch. I think he is the number 3 safety behind Elam, Vacarro, with Cyprien being 4th and with Reid being 5th. He needs to wrap up though. If he launches in the NFL he can expect a bunch of fines. His game reminds me of Raheim Moore, with the Denver Broncos.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
How is he is pass coverage? I was saying elsewhere that what I like about Elam (& Swearinger) is that they bring it... but also can cover the pass very well.

I'd be very happy with Vaccaro. How do I explain this... Ah, okay. Not that either of these young safeties is at this level, but Elam versus Vaccaro is akin to Polamslu versus Reed: personal preference (both are HOF-level). I personally like Elam, but I'm smart enough to know that Vaccaro is arguably as good (both are amazing).

The guy, besides Elam, who I think is a monster tackler is Swearinger. I've seen him mocked everywhere from late R1 to R5. The dude can hit like a Mack truck... but, he can also cover the pass (he has played some CB).

Here are my tiered rankings of those three, in levels of "kid happy":

Swearinger only: ice cream cone

Elam or Vaccaro only: sundae

Elam/Vaccaro AND some other late-round S: sundae w/ extra toppings

Elam/Vaccaro AND Swearinger: sundae w/ extra toppings at Disneyland, while wearing an Batman costume & riding a tricked-out bike from ride-to-ride.
My Disneyland
Vaccaro/swearinger

Elam/Phillp Thomas
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,729 Times in 10,424 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
My Disneyland
Vaccaro/swearinger

Elam/Phillp Thomas
Vaccaro AND Elam... oh man!!!

That would be like a OWNING Baskin-Robbins & Disneyland... while wearing an Batman costume.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Vaccaro AND Elam... oh man!!!

That would be like a OWNING Baskin-Robbins & Disneyland... while wearing an Batman costume.
With catwoman there with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel Glory For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-26-2013), teegre (02-27-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,125 Times in 4,605 Posts

Phil Savage, Executive Director of the Senior Bowl, gives his breakdowns and analysis of LB's combine results-

http://seniorbowl.com/article.asp?articleID=529

Quote:
COMBINE REVIEW: Monday -- LB

Senior Bowl 2013 Combine Workout Evaluations

*Senior Bowl participant

Groups 7-8/DL and Group 9/Linebackers encompass the entire Front Seven. Executive Director Phil Savage separates the prospects further by breaking them down accordingly:

DL = DT or DE or OLB

LB = ILB or OLB or DE

Because there is so much variation between 3-4 and 4-3 systems, the DL can generally be classified as "inside" DT's or "outside" DE's, while the LB's are categorized as "box/off-the-line" or "edge/on-the-line" linebackers. These distinctions are very important and difficult to master, especially for the organizations that are changing schemes in the off-season after scouting for a different defense during the Fall.

GROUP 9/LINEBACKERS

Missed Workout with Medical Exclusion (unless noted):

-Kiko Alonso/Oregon (no 40, drills only)

*Arthur Brown/Kansas State

-Jelani Jenkins/Florida (no 40, drills only)

*Nico Johnson/Alabama

-Jarvis Jones/Georgia

-Jake Knott/Iowa State

-Mike Mauti/Penn State

-Lerentree McCray/Florida

-Etienne Sabino/Ohio State (pulled 1st 40, no drills)

-Mike Taylor/Wisconsin

Olympic Events/Podium Awards:

40-Yard Dash/Inside Linebackers

Gold- *Zaviar Gooden/Missouri 4.47

Silver- Jonathan Bostic/Florida 4.61

Bronze-*Sio Moore/UConn 4.65

40-Yard Dash/Outside Linebackers

Gold- *Trevardo Williams/UConn 4.57

Silver- Barkevious Mingo/LSU 4.58

t-Bronze-Dion Jordan/Oregon 4.60

Corey Lemonier/Auburn 4.60

Vertical Jump/Inside Linebackers

Gold- *Sio Moore/UConn 38.0"

Silver- John Lotulelei/UNLV 35.5"

Bronze-Zaviar Gooden/Missouri 34.0"

Vertical Jump/Outside Linebackers

Gold- *Jamie Collins/Southern Miss 41.5"

Silver- *Trevardo Williams/UConn 38.0"

t-Bronze-Barkevious Mingo/LSU 37.0"

Ty Powell/Harding U. 37.0"

Bench Press/Inside Linebackers

Gold- *Sio Moore/UConn 29 reps

Silver- Mike Mauti/Penn State 28 reps

t-Bronze-*Zaviar Gooden/Missouri 27 reps

Jelani Jenkins/Florida 27 reps

Bench Press/Outside Linebackers

Gold- *Trevardo Williams/UConn 30 reps

Silver- *Ty Powell/Harding U. 28 reps

Bronze-Nate Williams/Ohio State 24 reps

Body Beautiful Award:

ILB- *Zaviar Gooden/Missouri 6014/234/32 1-4" arm/10" hand

OLB- Dion Jordan/Oregon 6062/248/33 7-8" arm/10" hand

Forget the 40/Trust the Tape:

ILB- Manti Te'o/Notre Dame 4.82

Kevin Minter/LSU 4.81

OLB- None

Acknowledge the 40/Better Check the Tape:

ILB- *Zaviar Gooden/Missouri 4.47

OLB- *Jamie Collins/So.Miss 4.64

"Best in Show":

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. *Zaviar Gooden/Missouri – Expected to test well, Zaviar exceeded

even the most optimistic numbers. He ran 4.47 and recorded times of 6.71 in the 3-Cone, 4.18 in the short shuttle and 11.28 in the 60-yard shuttle, plus, he benched 27 times and vertical jumped 34.0". He is sudden, has straight-line acceleration and good ball skills. He is an ideal linebacker candidate for defending the modern era "space" and spread offenses. Zaviar is a true Will in the 4-3 where he can get protection and chase the football without being required to have perfect instincts.

2. *Sio Moore/UConn – Sio has taken off since arriving at the

East-West Shrine, playing in the Senior Bowl and now performing well at the Combine. He ran 4.65, benched 29 times and jumped 38" inches before working out with efficiency on the field. Can fit either scheme, he also has some pass rush/blitz ability.

3. Jonathan Bostic/Florida – Jonathan had a real positive day after

missing the Senior Bowl with a hamstring strain. He ran 4.61, then a 6.99 in the 3-Cone and a 4.24 in the short shuttle. He has the athletic skills to play Will with the size to hold up as a Mike. Jack-of-all-trades type that can help on special teams, too.

4. Alec Ogletree/Georgia – This former high school safety is a fluid

athlete and also fits best as a Will in the 4-3. He tested well, but not spectacularly like many said he would. He is rangy, covers ground and has ball skills. Every team has to make a decision on his character, just in case he is on the board as the draft unfolds.

5. *Kevin Reddick/North Carolina – At times, Kevin looks one-speed on tape

without much space ability. Today, he ran 4.72, moved through the drills well and did not look out of place athletically. He actually ran better than the two top ILB's, Minter and Te'o.

Others of Note:

-Kiko Alonso/Oregon – Did not run, but went through position

work showing his effort and ball skills.

-Kevin Minter/LSU – Measured 5116/246 and ran 4.81, he

was better in the on-field drills, but never showed supreme burst and quickness.

-Manti Te'o/Notre Dame – All eyes were on Manti as he ran 4.82. He

was fluid in the drill work and caught the ball well, but does not have much explosion for a potential 1st rounder.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. Barkevious Mingo/LSU – Barkevious had a stellar workout as

expected. No one questions his athletic ability and speed, but his skill set has not resulted in big-time production. A move to the 3-4 will help him because he can get matched up against tight ends and backs on occasion. Needs to be more physical at the point-of-attack, however, he is an ideal candidate for a team looking to add a right-side 3-4 OLB. He ran 4.58, jumped 37" and moves like a safety.

2. Dion Jordan/Oregon – Dion also had a supremely impressive

workout as a member of the DL group. He ran 4.60 at 6062/248, jumped 32.5" in the vertical and 10' even in the broad. Some are saying that he will gain 15-20lbs and become a 4-3 DE. The belief here is that he converts to 3-4 OLB and then becomes a Sub rusher more than a pass defender (like he was used at Oregon). An extremely gifted athlete, going to Philadelphia's new 3-4 as a long, athletic pass rusher at #4 may not be out of the question. In some ways, he brings Kalimba Edwards/South Carolina to mind, a very long-limbed prospect who could play as a LB or DE and did so at the NFL level.

3. *Jamie Collins/Southern Miss – Jamie ran 4.64 and recorded incredible

vertical and broad jumps of 41.5" and 11'7", respectively. More OLB than DE, he measured 6034/250. His production is better on the stat sheet than on the tapes, but with this kind of raw talent, someone is going to try and teach him how to play pro football. Sat out most of the week at the Senior Bowl with an injury.

4. *Ty Powell/Harding U. – Ty was a late add to the Senior Bowl, but

he has been on the way up ever since. He has explosiveness in his body as evidenced by his 37" vertical and 10'2" broad, plus his 4.64 in the 40. He worked with the DL, but there is no doubt here that he is a future

3-4 OLB. NFL scouts will be map-questing Searcy, AR on March 5.

Projected 1st Round Selections:

-Jarvis Jones/Georgia

-Dion Jordan/Oregon

-Barkevious Mingo/LSU

-Alec Ogletree/Georgia

Possible 1st Round Picks:

-Manti Te'o/Notre Dame
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,151 Times in 549 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

I'd be happy with any of Jones, Jordan, Ansah, Werner, Te'o, or Ogletree. I'd be really disappointed with Damontre Moore or Barkevious Mingo. I just really hope one of the aforementioned guys falls because I'm pretty sure Patterson, Warmack, and Vaccaro will all be gone when we pick too.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I'd be happy with any of Jones, Jordan, Ansah, Werner, Te'o, or Ogletree. I'd be really disappointed with Damontre Moore or Barkevious Mingo. I just really hope one of the aforementioned guys falls because I'm pretty sure Patterson, Warmack, and Vaccaro will all be gone when we pick too.
Te'o in the second. But Werner isn't a guy I see being picked by us. He's a 4-3 end. And I don't think the are looking at Ogletree. He had drug problems in school and then had a DUI right before the combine.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I don't understand the Mingo disappointment. He had a very good combine.
kan_t is online now   Reply With Quote